Author Topic: Will Indian Bullet Gas tank fit '61 Super Meteor/Constillation frame?  (Read 9964 times)

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Im starting clean up and rebuild of a "'61 Indian" (Royal Enfield) and would like to put a stock gas tank back on it..getting rid of the peanut tank someone put on it many many years ago.  Will the very much cheaper asian Indian gas tanks fit? Or do I have to do much changeing and setup to get one to mount properly?

Thanks!

Gunner

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
The Indian cheap tanks fror any Bullet classic model will bolt right on.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

gunnerasch

• Scooter

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
By the serial # the motor is a 1960 Chief.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Adrian

I'm using a fairly recent Electra-X tank on my '60 Redditch (Constellation) framed project. It does fit but on one small point you may have a little work to do. The Indian Bullet tanks fit an all welded frame. including the headstock. The headstock on a Redditch frame uses a casting which JUST fouls the underside of the pressed steel channel around which the tank is formed, right above the tank's front mounting holes!  You might have to elongate those holes vertically by 1/8" in order to raise the front end of the tank slightly, so that the front mounting bolt can pass through. I'll also be using a strip of old inner tube between frame and tank at this point to stop ant rattling between the two.

Have fun,

Adrian

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Here's one I just put together using different parts. Some from a Bullet or parts that will fit a Bullet.  ERC

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Ooooh!  Very nice!!  Bravo!

I pulled my bike down this weekend and am starting the restoration..or clean up...or conversion...hummm..Im getting it ready for the road dang it!  I like! that red frame of yours!

Perhaps..Ill do the same. I was thinking of black...but...wow that looks good!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/RoyalEnfieldRestoration

Gunner

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Neat pictures at least most of the original motor and tranny stuff is there. You'll have a lot of fun putting it back into shape.   ERC

gunnerasch

• Scooter
I did the frame in red..Chinese Red. <G>  Will have to put another couple coats on it as I scratched the swing arm..and the white (Rustoleum) prime showed through. Should I give it a shot of transparent as a final coat or simply deal with it if I scratch it again?

Since you seem to know what parts from a Bullet will fit...what will fit?

The forks are 8" center to center..so that leaves out an Indian speedo  housing.  Any suggestions on how to mount a speedo etc etc on this bike?  Any suggestions as to what and where I can get a headlight that will look proper on it?

Thanks!
Gunner

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
The whole front end off the India made bullets would work if it  is an earlier model. I'm not sure about the very latest stuff or whether it is interchangeable or not. They have been making changes to the original design over the past few years. You could also make your own speedo mount out of some aluminum sheet material. If you know someone who can weld aluminum, you could make a wraparound valance that would cover the lower side of the speedo so you wouldn't need a can to hide the bottom. Smooth out the welds and polish it up. That's basically all the Indian Chief had originally. It was just a cast aluminum cover and the speedo was held in with two springs and a rubber grommet around the dial face. You will have to get creative on this stuff. It's either that or take a trip to a local bike salvage yard and dig around for something that would work.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:44:51 pm by rotorwrench »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
The forks on a Chief are 8" on center the bullet and trailblazer etc are 7' on center. I believe the forks on your bike are off a later Interceptor I have a set of those in the shed. They are 8" on center. Like Rotor said you'll have to find all original or just make up pieces to adapt.  ERC

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Thanks guys. I may very well make up a "dash board" and mount all the stuff on it. I can weld aluminum (Tig and mig in my home shop) so thats indeed an idea. I heard that a friend of a friend has some "Royal Enfield Stuff", so maybe next week Ill head over that way and see what he has before making up a dash. Mounting it on the bike..if I have to make a dash..will be interesting. Were they orignally mounted on the front forks or attached to the frame and around the forks? Not a hell of a lot of space to mount to the handle bar mounts

Gunner

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Go on Hitchcocks and take a look in the Interceptor parts. sections it will roughly show how they mounted gauges etc.  ERC

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
The Indian Chief dash attached in three locations. Each fork tube top had attach points and the third was at the steering head top clamp pivot threaded tube location with a special nut that also acted as the bearing for the steering damper knob & shaft. The handle bar attaches to the back of the top steering head clamp with a special chrome clamping arrangement. The handle bar was just behind the back of the dash cover with everything installed. If the fasteners are still in the tops of your fork tubes, at least you have two locations covered.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
The reason I said go look at the Interceptor sites is because the pictures that gunner put on of his bike, it appears to have a 69 interceptor fork top on it. So the easy way would be to attach any acessories the way it was done on them.  ERC