Author Topic: Oil Color?  (Read 2949 times)

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:34 am
Just did the 300 mile oil change and it was dark.  I see the Legacy guys talking about clean oil, how about the UCE?  It looked like it could have come out of the car.  The magnet was fairly clean, minor fuzz.  I was just surprised how dark the oil was.  Running 15w50 Mobile 1 full synthetic...
Chris

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:06 am
My G5's 300 mile oil change  also had dark colored oil.  IMO, it is to be expected.
New gears are rubbing on new gears, new piston rings are rubbing on freshly honed cylinder walls,  new journals at the wrist pin and rocker arms are moving in reamed bearing bores...
Lots of new parts wearing themselves in to mate properly with their mating parts.
All of this creates a lot of very fine metal particles that end up floating around in the oil and although the larger pieces get caught by the filter inlet screen and the oil filter the very small ones pass thru it and remain suspended in the oil.
Of course, there is also a small bit of carbon that has made it from the combustion chamber past the newly seating rings.

All of this is quite normal for the first oil change and all of this floating debris is the reason it is important to change the oil at 300 miles.

I find it interesting that you didn't mention a bunch of fiber looking material stuck to the outside of the pump inlet screen.  I was amazed at the amount of it that had collected on mine prior to my first oil change.
Hopefully, you remembered to remove the two small bolts that hold the screen cover to the bottom of the crankcase?  It is very important to get any of these fibers (along with the chunks of metal that are stuck to them) off of that screen.

Anyway, after seeing the fibers at the first change, I was rather paranoid so I changed my oil again about 100 miles later and found no oil screen blocking fibers at all and almost no metallic pieces on the two magnets.
One could almost say the oil looked brand new at this second change.

Although the Owners Manual says the next scheduled oil change isn't until 2000 miles I plan on changing it and the filter again at around 900 miles and then waiting until the 2,000 mile checkup before changing the oil and filter.
At that point I will switch to a fully synthetic oil and the recommended change interval.

One of the reasons for my paranoia about changing oil in my Enfield during its break in period is that the entire lower end in the UCE is running on ball or roller bearings.

While the soft material in the typical sleeve bearings like at the piston wrist pin (and almost all new Japanese bikes)  will often put up with hard materials flowing thru them, the hardened balls, rollers and races in rolling element bearings are really intolerant of having small pieces of foreign metal in them or in the oil that is lubricating them.

Happy Riding.
Jim
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:04 am
Mine was real dark as well at the 300 and 600 mile oil changes and I had minimal fuzz on the magnets at 300 and none at 600.  As Arizoni points out, make sure you get both drain plugs (2 magnets) at the bottom as well as the metal mesh.  I only had a couple of fine fibers on my screen.....no scary metal bits or large quantity of fibers. Full synthetic is great. Congratulations on your C5!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:26 am
I used to think that it was taboo to break in an engine with full synthetic.  Reading from several sources points out thats just a myth.  I switched to Royal Purple max cycle at 800 miles and the difference in shifting and running was very noticeable.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:38 pm
Theoretically there shall be wear in the break-in period. That's what all is about then. Afterwards wear shall be reduced to a minimum.
This is the reason why you shouldn't use syntetic oils before the breaking-in is finished, you prolong the necessary wear.
Practically  the most important issue is your gas hand ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

higgins

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:45 pm
At 400, Mine was slightly dark but surprisingly clear. Lot of metal bits in the screen and stuck to magnet.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:58:26 pm
Mine was pretty clean at 300 miles, a little fuzz and metallica, but nothing excessive. It was very clean at 1000. But the oil was black in both instances and is black at 2000 miles, but I'm not going to change it for awhile.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:16:28 pm
Metal bits are normal. That rag they leave in during assembly gets pulled from the screen on the 1st oil change. Some darkness can be blamed on the undrained oil left in the crankcase. The mystery oil that overfills you after an oil change. Besides, darker oil makes it easier to see in the sight glass. It is all part of the design. ;D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:37:21 pm
Besides, darker oil makes it easier to see in the sight glass. It is all part of the design. ;D

If you look closely you can see the guys in the engine room,  shovelling torque... ;)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:43 pm
Didnt get the first oil change done till 500 miles and yeah, it was dark. Second oil change at just over 1000 miles not quite as dark but still dark. I expect it will lighten up as I ride more. Now running full synthetic and plan on doing oil changes a bit more frequently than the owners manual says, around 2500 miles or so. Dont really see it as something to worry about too much, Unless it caught fire as I drained it or came out like crumpled OREO's or sumpin.  ;D

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:14 am
ok, I did do the filter screen but had read up on the fibers that like to hide in there...  Thanks for calming my nerves...
Chris

Anthonyof Erin

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:16:43 pm
Hey All can I ask what grade you all are using. Just turned 1200Km and enjoying the one legged wheel chair.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:44 pm
One reason the oil is blacker than you would normally expect is because you leave about 1/3 of the old oil in the bike! Shake it around, get as much of the old stuff out as possible.
I think most people are running 20w-50.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Anthonyof Erin

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:14:04 pm
Thanks Bare, tis what I am using in full syn. I like to run the bike for a while to warm up the oil then let it sit abit till the junk settles to the bottom before it cools to long then drop the plug. Kinda trickey leanin the bike to the right with the chair attached, kinda likin the winch from the ceiling approach. How do you guys insert your avatar/pics,also the text below that?

Later