Author Topic: CMW RE Rally  (Read 5049 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:32 am
Things didn't get off to a very good start this year. The weather got me behind things and I never got a bike ready for a long trip so it got to the point where if I didn't trailer one out there I wasn't going to go at all. Couldn't do that because the rally is kind of the opening game of my riding season.
Didn't want to take the Ferry across Lake Michigan like I always do because of the trailer costing as much as another car so I went around the bottom and through Chicago.  I knew it was going to suck and it did. Then pay a toll every mile or so through the rest of the state. Ended up pulling into the campground around 09:00. Set up my tent, unloaded the bike and got something to eat. The gnats were so bad I decided to go for a ride and hopefully lure all the bugs away and loose em out on the road somewhere. Came back a couple of hours later to find the bugs still there so I went out for another ride.
When I got back I was kind of tired so I crawled into the tent and went to sleep.
Woke up when the sun moved out from over the trees and baked me out of the tent so I went for another ride.
Later that evening Jane, her husband Lee and Doneen arrived and got settled in.

Friday morning we set up the tents and all the trimmings and Jane and Doneen started cooking for the dinner on Saturday. Got to hand it to those girls, they started working when the birds started chirping and worked all day until the sun went down just to make things right for everyone that came to the rally. Folks started showing up around 3:00 or so.  Ron Green aka "new guy" from CMW showed up later that evening and I started making him feel welcome right away. I told him he was going to have to make a big speech in Kevin's absence (Kevin was broke down in NM). I also told him he was going to have to give a bike away this year. Every time I saw him I asked him when the bike was going to get there and it seemed he got a bit more flustered every time I put on the spot. I'll get into that a bit more later.
It was getting into early evening and we were getting worried about Leonard. He had signed up for the rally and wasn't there yet. Totally out of character for Leonard.
I didn't have service on my phone anywhere out there (ATT Sucks) but Jane did so I gave him a call to find out he blew the bottom end out of his 65 in Iowa. He got towed to Baxter Cycle and traded in his blown up Bullet on a Triumph Bonnie, packed it up and headed home. At least he was safe.
Entertainment was provided by Bob and Philothea that night around the campfire.

Saturday, once again I stumble out of my tent sometime in the mid-morning to find Jane and Doneen working again. I swear, they never stop.
Lee was cooking up a mountain of pork sausages and the girls were cooking up an endless supply of pancakes for the masses.
Now that I couldn't move anymore it was time to go for the Sat. ride.
The ride started out with about 12 bikes but about 15/20 miles into it Bob Bezin  earned his Hard Luck award when his chain broke a master link. You all know how nasty a chain can get after awhile and his hands got good and slimed fixing that. 

A few folks stayed with Bob and Philothea and the rest of us continued on the ride.
We got in a good 120/130 mile ride and lunch and met up with Bob and the rest on the road. We went into a small town (Whalan) and lined up the Enfields in front of an old gas station and took some pics.
When we got back there was a crisis going on. Some of the attendees went tubing on the river that day and lost one of the girls. She missed the landing and ended up going down the river for quite a way due to the lack of places that you can get out of it. When she finally got out she found a house and the people in the house gave her a ride back to the campground.
The whole time all this is going on den mothers Jane and Doneen are back at work again getting dinner ready for the masses. I watched to make sure no mistakes were made.
A bit later the awards and door prizes were handed out and CMW's VP Ron Greene gave a little speech that included a bit of a slip about a RE Big Twin (that's all
I can say bout that!).
Then, the moment I had dreamed about all my life. Winning a bike as a door prize at a rally. I guess I had hounded him so much that he spent half a day scrounging around to dig up this jewel,

I was awestruck by the raw beauty of the cycle but not as much as this young man. I looked over at him and saw him fondling it and he had this look on his face that looked like me the first time I saw a Black Deluxe Bullet,

I just had to share my good luck with the young man and it was worth seeing my dream bike get rolled away from me and down the hill behind us in the campground.

Sun.  Got up, packed up, help take down the tents and police the campground and rolled out for the miserable drive home. I hope I'll never have to trailer to a rally again.

I have to thank Jane, Doneen, Lee, Ron and all the attendees for making this another memorable event.
Here's the link to the pics I took,

https://picasaweb.google.com/t120rbullet/CMWRally11

See ya all next year.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:05 am

Great write up and pics cj...   ok, the 3rd pic, am I missing sumthing or isn't that
just a tree??  Was there any of that good ole moonshine up there??

sounds like a good time. Hell, your write up and pics were so good I'm
thinking I won't have to do the 9 hour drive and sleep ina tent-
I'll just go with your writeups!!

I wuz talk'n to Doneen a couple of weeks ago trying to get her to come
down for the Rally On The River; I think I convinced her when I told her
she'd get to see Armadillos!!  ya just don't get them critters in Minisoda !!
          - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 02:31:22 am
It takes a hell of a man to give up a prize bike like that! I'm proud of you for handing it off to a new rider, ya done good :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 02:47:17 am

Great write up and pics cj...   ok, the 3rd pic, am I missing sumthing or isn't that
just a tree??  Was there any of that good ole moonshine up there??

About 10 miles from the campground there is a scenic outlook "inspiration point".  The only problem is the "green movement" has the trees growing up all around it and you can only see a bit here and there. Must have been inspiring 50 years ago when they built it.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 02:53:57 am
It takes a hell of a man to give up a prize bike like that! I'm proud of you for handing it off to a new rider, ya done good :D

Thanks, it was a lesson I learned from Mike at the Rally on the River last year when he gave his candy corn to a kid at the rally.
Sidesaway, if you could have seen this kids face you couldn't have resisted either.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:29 am
Good write up CJ, you sure had me going with that tale about winning a bike.  I told all my buds at coffee this morning that you won a bike and they were pretty impressed with the Royal Enfield rally.
Can't tell you how much I missed the rally, had I been thinking straight I'd have come on up instead of running back home.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:04 pm
Bet that kid will remember you giving it to him for the rest of his life.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM