Author Topic: Rear Wheel Drum Brakes of G5 - Change brake pads  (Read 3705 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 18, 2011, 10:29:33 pm
Here was a longer project for changing rear wheel drum brake pads on G5.  But the contents can be useful to - remove rear wheel, remove front wheel (yes - either one or/& both), drum brake maintenance and other aspects for servicing motorcycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASD9nFLSbmE&feature=channel_video_title
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:33:01 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:35 pm
Nice vid.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:32 pm
Another excellent "How To" presentation. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mikesince1974

• Scooter
  • 2010 Bullet Deluxe G5, 1973 Honda CB450 Cafe
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:02:52 am
 This answered a lot of questions I had about the rear brakes. Quite a bit more involved than my CB450, glad you made this.

-mikey
Keep the paint up, and the rubber down!  ~Author Unknown

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:54:46 am
Once again you have done an excellent job!
-

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:26:52 am
Very well documented.......if only I could be half as good a wrench as you are Singhg5 !!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:11:52 pm
Unfortunately I´m not allowed to see that video. It´s about the rights on the music you used on it. If the music producers don´t have the licence for the German (or European, don´t know exactly) market, youtube is not allowed to send it and therefore blocks it. Could I bother you Singh,  with a music-less version of that video? I´m sure I could benefit from it. Thanks in advance
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:34:11 pm
That's why I switched to Vimeo. I don't know how or why, but they don't seem to care about music... yet.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:25 pm
Unfortunately I´m not allowed to see that video. ..... Could I bother you Singh,  with a music-less version of that video? I´m sure I could benefit from it. Thanks in advance
Maturin

Maturin:

Here is the link to Music-Less Version of the same video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWHho1rwak
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:37 pm
Very nice Singh.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:05 pm
good tips and very helpful for us guys with the older models..The music was methodical and put me in a trance..Thanks
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:32:42 pm
Very nice, Singh. And the music was good, too.
If I may make a suggestion, before you tighten the axle and brake nut, crank the brake adjuster nut down where the brake is locked tight, Then tighten the nuts. This will insure the shoes are centered and and are both going to work when the brakes are applied. People who have complained about rear brakes being no good generally miss this step and only one shoe is contacting the drum
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:58:30 pm
Thank you very much, Singh, especially for the musicless version. Heard Zappa instead  ;D
I´m convinced even my granny could have changed the brakes with the help of this video. It´s so much easier when you´ve seen it before.

Another hint: When you have everything open, it´s possible to check the brake camshaft aswell. It may not have neither scratches or holes, nor much play and can be greased carefully. This is also the opportunity to clean all parts including the hub thoroughly - it should be completely dustless in there. Generally it should be self evident to work absolutely clean and avoid any pollution on the new brake pads or the inside of the drum.

I´d like to add something: I know that most people here do know much more about bikes than I do and don´t need that hint, however:
When you´re dealing with brakes, it´s crucial that you don´t do something wrong.
If you´re not absolutely sure about that, leave it to a professional.

2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:31:46 pm
             First - Thanks to ALL for your appreciation and suggestions !!  

Very nice, Singh. And the music was good, too.
If I may make a suggestion, before you tighten the axle and brake nut, crank the brake adjuster nut down where the brake is locked tight, Then tighten the nuts. This will insure the shoes are centered and and are both going to work when the brakes are applied. People who have complained about rear brakes being no good generally miss this step and only one shoe is contacting the drum
Bare

@ Bare:

Good suggestion of using brake nut to lock brake tight before tightening all the nuts. Owner's manual also says the same thing  ;) !

Thank you very much, Singh, especially for the musicless version. Heard Zappa instead  ;D
I´m convinced even my granny could have changed the brakes with the help of this video. It´s so much easier when you´ve seen it before.

Another hint: When you have everything open, it´s possible to check the brake camshaft aswell. It may not have neither scratches or holes, nor much play and can be greased carefully. This is also the opportunity to clean all parts including the hub thoroughly - it should be completely dustless in there. Generally it should be self evident to work absolutely clean and avoid any pollution on the new brake pads or the inside of the drum.

I´d like to add something: I know that most people here do know much more about bikes than I do and don´t need that hint, however:
When you´re dealing with brakes, it´s crucial that you don´t do something wrong.
If you´re not absolutely sure about that, leave it to a professional.

@Maturin:

So glad that you could see the music-less video and you enjoyed Zappa music !

I agree with everthing that you have said - especially about using a professional or an someone with experience, in case of any doubt.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:33:54 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk