Author Topic: There is cold, and there is cold on a motorcycle...  (Read 4747 times)

mikesince1974

• Scooter
  • 2010 Bullet Deluxe G5, 1973 Honda CB450 Cafe
  Found this post by Kanticoy on dotheton.com today, I could not have put this better myself.

“There is cold, and there is cold on a motorcycle.  Cold on a motorcycle is like being beaten with cold hammers while being  kicked with cold boots, a bone bruising cold. The wind’s big hands squeeze  the heat out of my body and whisk it away; caught in a cold October rain,  the drops don’t even feel like water. They feel like shards of bone fallen  from the skies of Hell to pock my face. I expect to arrive with my cheeks  and forehead streaked with blood, but that’s just an illusion, just the misery of nerves not designed for highway speeds.

Despite this,  it’s hard to give up my motorcycle in the fall and I rush to get it on the  road again in the spring; lapses of sanity like this are common among  motorcyclists. When you let a motorcycle into your life you’re changed  forever. The letters “MC” are stamped on your driver’s license right next  to your sex and weight as if “motorcycle” was just another of your  physical characteristics, or maybe a mental condition. But when warm  weather finally does come around all those cold snaps and rainstorms are  paid in full because a summer is worth any price.

A motorcycle is  not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and  climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and  actually living your life. We spend all our time sealed in boxes and cars  are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from home-box to work-box to  store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature  regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.

On a  motorcycle I know I’m alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange  and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and  its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer. I feel the cool wells of  air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of that fall through them. I  can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider  than Pana-Vision and than IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard.  Sometimes I even hear music. It’s like hearing phantom telephones in the  shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain,  seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind’s  roar. But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock ‘n roll, dark  orchestras, women’s voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed.  At 30 miles per hour and up, smells become uncannily vivid. All the  individual tree- smells and flower-smells and grass-smells flit by like  chemical notes in a great plant symphony.

Sometimes the smells  evoke memories so strongly that it’s as though the past hangs invisible in  the air around me, wanting only the most casual of rumbling time machines  to unlock it. A ride on a summer afternoon can border on the rapturous.  The sheer volume and variety of stimuli is like a bath for my nervous  system, an electrical massage for my brain, a systems check for my soul.  It tears smiles out of me: a minute ago I was dour, depressed, apathetic,  numb, but now, on two wheels, big, ragged, windy smiles flap against the  side of my face, billowing out of me like air from a decompressing  plane.

Transportation is only a secondary function. A motorcycle is  a joy machine. It’s a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized  prosthetic. It’s light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold  lapping over each other; it’s a conduit of grace, it’s a catalyst for  bonding the gritty and the holy. I still think

of myself as a motorcycle  amateur, but by now I’ve had a handful of bikes over half a dozen years  and slept under my share of bridges. I wouldn’t trade one second of either  the good times or the misery. Learning to ride one of the best things I’ve  done.

Cars lie to us and tell us we’re safe, powerful, and in  control. The air-conditioning fans murmur empty assurances and whisper,  “Sleep, sleep.” Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and  exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that’s no  reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride”.

-Author  unknown.

Keep the paint up, and the rubber down!  ~Author Unknown

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:43 am
subjected my self many times in my life to  minus ----   degrees...  like 16 not counting the wind chill factor .. that it mattered anyway....  when it's this cold yoU u are comfortably numb 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bYPnfXXUp4&NR=1

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:11 am
The author Unknown sums it far more eloquently than I could have.

A toast to whomever it may be.  Long life and many miles,,,,Cheers!
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:21 am
Damn, that was good. Thanks!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:03 pm
I´m frequently asked why I like riding a bike, and all my words seems to be just pale and weak when I´m confronted with the usual objections of danger and discomfort. Thanks to the unknown author I can probably describe it a little better next time. Thanks for posting Mike!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:03 pm
That's awesome.  Thanks for posting that.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:27 am
Wow! Nicely said. Incredible descriptions. Thanks for posting this! cochi  :D

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:30:40 pm
That is one of the most precious pieces I have read on this subject - Thanks Mike.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:38:47 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:25:39 pm
There is a great quote by Francesco Quinn, son of the actor Anthony Quinn that sums it up perfectly for me as I commute on my bike everyday.

"Be it riding in traffic or riding in the rain or whatever it may be, on a motorcycle you live more in that one hour going to work than most live all week, or all month, or all year"

I think of this everyday I get to my "cubicle," unzip my jacket, slip off my boots, and place my helmet on the shelf.  I look around the room, and I grin because I know something that no one else does.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:10:45 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 02:03:38 am
There is a great quote by Francesco Quinn, son of the actor Anthony Quinn that sums it up perfectly for me as I commute on my bike everyday.

"Be it riding in traffic or riding in the rain or whatever it may be, on a motorcycle you live more in that one hour going to work than most live all week, or all month, or all year,” he adds. "

I think of this everyday I get to my "cubicle," unzip my jacket, slip off my boots, and place my helmet on the shelf.  I look around the room, and I grin because I know something that no one else does.

+1
Chris

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:02:31 am
That is the best description of why I ride that I have never said. It explains it. As to my cold on a motorcycle, when I first started riding, I went out on a sunny December day in middle Iowa. I had so many layers of cloths that I literally had to stand up and turn my whole body at stop signs to see who was coming. The reward, I can tell people how one year, I rode every month, all 12 of em. Where I live, that was a worthy goal.

Thank you for posting that story.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:55:36 am
Welcome aboard iowarider.

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:02 pm
so true, cars do give us this false sense of security, you sure feel a lot more vulnerable on a bike  :)
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 07:02:51 am
 While researching something entirely different I believe I may have stumbled across the author of the work quoted in the original post, Dave Karlotski and the work is tilted "Season of the Bike"   scroll half way down the page. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/index.html

His name is highlighted at the end of Season of the Bike and is a hot link itself to his web page.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:44:55 am by Ice »

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 05:25:57 am
Without a doubt Karliski's article sums is it wonderfully as to how we feel when we ride.  I recently attended the funeral of Terry Tiernan, former sales manager of Yamaha in the 70's and primarily  responsible for the success of Yamaha in that era.  Terry's favorite quote was mentioned at that service. " AUTOMOBILES MOVE THE BODY--MOTORCYCLES MOVE THE SOUL"  God speed Terry.