Author Topic: Washington DC service?  (Read 3004 times)

DC Bullet

• Scooter
on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:10 pm
I just bought a 2009 C5 and am having electrical issues. Intermittent starting that is not related to the battery, kickstand switch, or clutch switch. EFI runs, but it doesn't turn over when I hit the ignition. Does anyone know of a good service provider in the area? The closest dealer is in Richmond, VA, which is WAY too far away.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:57:02 pm by DC Bullet »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:50:28 pm
Just a guess but because it is an intermittent problem it sounds to me like it is an electrical connector that is loose.
Does the engine always crank but the engine refuses to fire when the starter button is pushed?  If so you can rule out the various safety switches and concentrate on the ignition system.

Does the headlight always come on when the ignition switch is turned on?
If so it indicates that power is at least getting to that point.

If it is an intermittent cranking problem the problem could be at any of the many safety switches connections.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:35:43 pm
Thats my guess arizoni. Hard to guess without a little more info tho, DC? Does the bike act normally as far as the electrical system when you turn on the key or is this intermitten too. If your loosing all power than check the plug from the ignition key, mine had come loose and when i turned bike to the left would disconnect itself. If thats not the issue and you always have power but the button works off and on, then your going to have to find out which of the kill switches are causing it, of course like arizoni said, may be a loose connection in the start button. That's where I would start.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:34 pm
Hey DC, check out REA Member 131's thread "need help testing starter switch" It is just a few posts down and sounds allot like your issue. His turned out to be the clutch cut out. Just a loose connection that you could quickly deduce and fix without the hassle of a dealership. Hope it works.  ;D

DC Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:43:31 am
Thanks! The light always comes on. The EFI always runs, but the engine often won't turn over. Turning the key and starting over doesn't seem to work. I checked out the "need help testing starter switch" post and it sounds similar. That's what made me check the kick stand and clutch switches. If I charge the battery, it seems to work fine, which is what made me replace the battery. The new battery is better, needed charging this morning for my commute, but for only 5 minutes. This is rather puzzling.

I need to bring it in for a regular tune up anyway, so I need a good local mechanic that knows a little about REs. Any recommendations on that are much appreciated?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:24 am
I don't know any mechanics east of Arizona.  Sorry.

As for the kickstand switch and the clutch switch neither one of them is involved if the kickstand is up and the transmission is in neutral.

If the computer boots and the FI pump runs for a moment that leaves the switch, the starter solenoid the starter motor and any wiring between them as the problem area.

If you hear the starter solenoid "click" then the starter switch and the wiring is probably OK and the problem is with the solenoid.

If the starter solenoid does not click the problem is likely with the starter switch or with the wiring or a loose connector between the switch and the solenoid.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ontheroadagain

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:50 pm
From one Royal Enfield rider in D.C. to another.  Velocity is the closest authorized dealer/repair shop. 

C & L cycle shop of Sykesville, MD used to be the closest dealer and they have since closed. I sent them an email to investigate and found out the mechanics moved to BBTZMOTO of Eldersburg MD.

I checked with nfield gear this morning and they said BBTZ is not a certified repair location. 

So... Velocity of Richmond is the closest option.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:58 pm
I'm in Warrenton and I take care of my own machine..I have a 06 iron and haven't even seen the new machines since my dealer closed up shop 3 years ago...I miss just hanging out and buying oil and supplies from him....Richmond is a bit far isn't it..
Oh Magoo you done it again

DC Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:45 pm
Thanks! I'll look into BBTZ. The solenoid doesn't make a sound. What is strange is that charging the battery for two minutes seems to overcome the problem. Apparently there is a good repair shop in Alexandria, Va that looks at custom bikes. I am going to call Velocity and see if they have heard of this issue before. They apparently pick up and drop off bikes in DC frequently and can take an extra one back with them for repairs if necessary. We'll see what that will cost....Doh!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:35 pm
sounds like you need a new battery...its like not charging all the way...are u using a smart charger on it?  Hva eyou charged it overnight? ....Have you checked the battery terminals for tightness,?,,,when u do charge it for a bit does it start right up as you would expect it should or does it barely start....Have you checked the connection to the solenoid?...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:13:57 pm
Like GreenMachine says it might be the battery or it could be as simple as removing the two battery cables and giving the ends and the battery terminals a real good cleaning.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe