Author Topic: New Owner in St Louis  (Read 3613 times)

bullfrog

• Scooter
on: June 12, 2011, 01:07:00 pm
Hi Everyone,

I just brought home my new 2010 Bullet G5 Standard.  My closest dealer is 90 miles away so I had to ride home on a highway for about an hour and a half.  Boy she was really hot when I got home.  I had the dealer install the shorty exhaust and the weld failed completely between the silencer and the slip on pipe.  So I rode home at least half the ride with a straight pipe!  It sounded awesome actually, but my ears are still ringing   So I start reading through the owners manual and it says to take it easy for the first 600 miles.  Do you think I damaged the engine at all?  what about with the failure of the exhaust muffler?  did that make it better or worse on the engine?

I called the dealer and they will overnight a replacement shorty muffler to me on Monday.  I am stuck not being able to ride which really sucks with a new bike in the garage...

Thanks,
Bullfrog

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:24 pm
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. The UCE is a tough engine, I doubt that you've hurt it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:48 pm
Haha!

You didn't hurt it a bit, friend.  That's a tough mil right therel.  I've been thrashing mine since day one.  Stuff has fallen off.  Cables have failed.  Bulbs have gone pop.  But that mill just keeps on a-chuffin'.   ;D

Congrats on the new ride.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:46:50 pm
il mio primo viaggio e' stato di 400 km!!

tutto ok!
c5 2009 italy

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:30:54 pm
Riding the new engine home on the freeway was not the best idea in the world but.........what's done is done and I agree that you have not hurt the engine. Had it been an iron barrel you would have been on the side of the road with a seized engine, but the UCE is an entirely different story. It has several design features that make it "Bullet proof" to coin a phrase. First of all it is designed to cool far better than any engine we have ever made. The cylinders are honed by a process that makes the ring break-in virtually instant and it has massive oil flow to help cool and lubricate.

As for running with an open pipe, a bad idea under any circumstance. But once again the UCE came to the rescue. If that had been a carburetor engine you would again be on the side of the road with a seized engine. Because the UCE has a closed loop fuel injection system (not true for the Indian market models) it compensates for the very lean mixture that an open pipe creates. The O2 sensor in the pipe will cause the "brain" to richen the mixture when it sniffs a lean condition. There is a limit to how much it can do this based on the size of the throttle body and injector. It would have not run well if you had exceeded this limit.

In short I am sure that you are OK, but none of this was a good idea. The lesson here is to read your owners manual before you start off. We get a lot of "trouble" reports that are simple rider error issues based on people not reading the small book. None of it is real trouble, but if they had read the book the answer is obvious. (like how to add oil, why won't it start (kick stand down or kill switch turned off)

You will enjoy that incredibly strong engine for a long time to come. I suggest that you sincerely apologize to the bike, give it a treat (like some nice fresh oil very soon), rub it, clean it and all will be well. You got off to a bad start, but your bike will forgive you and become your dearest friend.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

bullfrog

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:10 pm
Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday when the replacement exhaust comes.  I'll forward the note from Kevin to the dealer so he can advise others about the break in period.  I did ask him about getting on the freeway right away and he told me not to worry about it at all - bad advice.

This board has given me all kinds of great ideas for personalizing the bike.  I'm glad this exists for our bike.

Thanks again!!!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:29 am
Much as I admire my dealer, they told me the same thing. I know better so I rode it slow for quite a while.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:39 am
The UCE machines will do ticket getting speeds no doubt about it.

I wouldn't recommend it because (a)they need to be run in and (b) its wise to take the time to become one with the machine before any high speed runs (c) I hate paying speeding tickets.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:30:33 am
Welcome Bullfrog! Good choice on the bike, black or green?. I have a 2009 G5, black, and live in the St. Louis area, actually Hillsboro, MO. I'm guessing you got your bike in Rolla at Interstate Motorcycles which is where I got mine 2 years ago. I doubt you did any harm to the engine. Good luck with the new bike!!

Also, I would get the stock muffler that came with the bike from the dealer to keep on hand as a back up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:43:13 am by Chris-G5 »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:06 am
That don't sound like Interstate motorcycles, they advised me to haul mine home and break it in properly. It's the best dealership I've ever dealt with.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:03 am
That don't sound like Interstate motorcycles, they advised me to haul mine home and break it in properly. It's the best dealership I've ever dealt with.
You are right Dannie. Doesn't sound like Bill to me, but I don't know of another dealer that is 90 miles from St. Louis. I also hauled mine home and broke it in slow. Although I do think I remember Scooterbob saying on here that these engines could be run hard from the get go.

bullfrog

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:42:24 am
Yep.  I did buy from Interstate.  They are great to deal with, very friendly and incredibly responsive to the issue with the exhaust.  Anyone in the St Louis area should consider them the first choice to go to for these bikes.  I had options to take the outer road home or take a route on state highways.  I wanted to get back home in a reasonable amount of time and I made the decision to take the freeway, the dealer said not to worry about it, which greenlighted the fast way home.  If I followed my gut I would have either trailered it home or taken the slow route.  Completely my choice, not the dealer.  I plan to continue to do business there and point my friends there if they want one of these great bikes too.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:56:27 am
Don't forget that Slam puts on one hell of a rally the 3 week of Sept.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:10 am
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it already :D
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:11:15 am
Me too, my wife lets me drink on that side of the Mississippi.
Looking forward to the Lanesboro rally this Friday too cuz it's on the "far side" too!
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"