Author Topic: Tyres - availability & experiences  (Read 49716 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:05 pm
I doubt u to old n weak.From the sounds of it, You putting more mileage than I am this season...
Oh Magoo you done it again

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #76 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:49 pm
I've never changed a moto tire, or tyre, and am slightly terrified of doing so.  I guess the reason is for the next 1000 miles I’d constantly be expecting to see a doughnut go rollin' past me before I realized I was on a unicycle.  However, I think I’m doubly afraid of bringing it somewhere and them botching something up like my chain tension.  But I guess I should put more faith in the pro’s, huh?

Gonna have to bite the Bullet soon as I have a few hundo miles left on mine and am interested in trying the Dunlops.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 01:28:55 am
Once you suffer thru the trial of getting the stock rear rubber off putting the Dunlops on is a walk in the park.   On my 95 I took the rear to the local CycleGear to have the stock rubber removed,  well worth the $20 considering they put the new rubber on.   The front is easy but that rear is like a truck tire.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 01:46:32 am
Great: I thought the front was like a Truck Tire...Oh yeah, bring it on baby, Can't wait to tackle that rear..If it throws a tantrum, I might just take a pair of Tin Snips to it and show it who's the boss. It's not going to get the velvet glove approach like the front did..
Oh Magoo you done it again

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:26 am
Those new style muzzleloaders should just be called "Cheaters." They are ridiculous.
Give me a good ol' flintlock any day.
Bare

Do some research on the "bates grain" then compare it to the 50 grain pellets used as fuel in modern (in-line ignition) muzzle loaders.

you may come to appreciate the unique linear burn rate & targeting skills necessary to effectively use the modern muzzle-loader.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:13 am
But I guess I should put more faith in the pro’s, huh?

Skepticism is a good thing.  Why not take the wheel off and bring that to them, get the tire changed, and then re-install the wheel yourself?

Not to say it's impossible to do at home, or even in the field, but it takes some grunting most of the time.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:31 am
Must admit the last time I got a flat rear (at work) I called the auto club and got the bike trucked to the nearest bike shop.

If it had gone flat at home in my shed I may have thought about doing it myself, but I really could not be assed changing a tire in the work car park in front of a bunch of spectators :D

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 03:58:37 pm
Skepticism is a good thing.  Why not take the wheel off and bring that to them, get the tire changed, and then re-install the wheel yourself?
[/size]

With just a little practice you can have the back wheel off in less than 10 minutes...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 11:13:17 pm

With just a little practice you can have the back wheel off in less than 10 minutes...

Man, less than that... I found the Bullet to be the most amazingly well designed motorcycle in regards to removing the rear wheel.  Having owned a few bikes before this one, I was all ready to pull that chain off and jack the bike up into the sky to drop that tire below the fender.  Boy was I surprised to find that such and old design has such ingenuity behind it.  No need to jack the whole bike up, or even use a bike jack at all.  That center stand is great, and with the removal of 2 nuts the whole fender hinges upwards, letting you roll the tire out the back.  No need to remove the chain and all that.  Simply pull the cross bolt out and the spacer, then push the wheel towards the right side and it pops off!

Edit: also it is waayyyy cheaper to have a shop install a new tire if you bring just the wheel in.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:33 am
You don't even need to touch the chain when you change a tire. The wheel comes off leaving the brake and sprocket in situ.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 04:29:44 am
After finally wearing out my Avon Speedmaster front tire on my G5, I replaced it with a Dunlop K70, 3.25 X 19".

I gave the wheel bearings the 'once over' and they turned smoothly without any apparent looseness or rough spots so I left them installed.

I notice that if I'm riding at speeds of 45-55 mph on a smooth asphalt surface the K70 is nice and quiet. 
If I am turning a long sweeper at those speeds there is a definite 'hummmmmmmmm' coming from the front of the bike.
This happens when I'm turning right or left at speed.

I think what I'm hearing is just the rather aggressive tread capturing the wind and making the noise.  Am I right?  :-\
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:08 am
I think what I'm hearing is just the rather aggressive tread capturing the wind and making the noise.  Am I right?  :-\

I never noticed any humming on mine, but with the cacophony the rest of the bike, plus the wind in my face, it would probably be noticed. However I would say it was the sound of the aggressive tread capturing the tarmac!
As for the pros doing your tire change, messing with the chain is not necessary. However any time they DO mess with the chain, check it and make sure it's right. I've had a lot of chains screwed up, tension wise, by "pros." Don't let 'em get away with it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: November 26, 2012, 04:28:47 pm

Definitely going to go this route with some K70s. I'll have the front off anyway when I reseal my forks.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 03:20:04 am
Is a Dunlop K70 is the same front and rear tire?  It does not matter if it is a 3.25 or a 3.5... there is no front or rear specific tire, correct?  I have an AVL... 19" front and rear.

Has anyone run a K81 that our host sells?  They are wider. 4.10 for front and rear.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: March 12, 2013, 08:13:50 am
Is a Dunlop K70 is the same front and rear tire?  It does not matter if it is a 3.25 or a 3.5... there is no front or rear specific tire, correct?  I have an AVL... 19" front and rear.
Has anyone run a K81 that our host sells?  They are wider. 4.10 for front and rear.

Yes, K70 is the same front and rear.  I run a 3.5 on my own front end.

I have not used the K81 but have read that they're actually skinnier than the 4.1 designation would seem to indicate. 

They are, I know, "trigonic" in profile.  (ie, made to present a large, flat surface against the pavement when heeled over in a turn, resulting in somewhat minimized contact patch when upright.)  I'd like to try these if I take my bike in the cafe direction, but might stick with a 3.25/3.5 in the K70 or maybe the Heidenau K34.