Author Topic: Tyres - availability & experiences  (Read 49715 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: October 17, 2011, 09:32:04 pm
The 3.25 K70 definitely doesn't push like the Avons. It tracks exremely well.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 08:55:50 pm
At the end I have to admit that the money spend an the AVON AM26ers was blown into the oven. They just didn´t make it straightforward in their own right, neither with 1,3 bar nor with 2,0. Finally I was fed up with swerving about and got myself a pair of

Heidenau K44 front 3.25 and K34 rear 3.50
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/modules/reifenliste/view.php?point=2&rtyp=9

wich seem to have cured most of my problems with the rubber sector. Today I could do a test ride of some 60kms in late autumn temperatures ( 5-10°C). I´m quite impressed, the stability problems above 80 km/h I encountered with the AM26 were just blown off, the Heidenaus run dead straight up to 120 kms. However, the handling is more on the stubborn side now, but that´s the way I like it and the Bullet, beeing an Enfield, is still very nimble compared with other bikes of it´s size. Steering precision is good, there is a slight tendency to understeer but maybe it´s owed to the rubber nipples that are not yet worn. I can´t say much about the behavoir beeing heavily cantered or very hot, as the road conditions are very treacherous these days and I had to be extremly carefull. I´ll keep you posted!
5 kms before I reached home I passed a car accident on the Autobahn and the driver really managed to set the cage on the roof. I hope noone is seriously injured, but it was an excellent reminder what all is about: to make it home alive. Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: January 04, 2012, 03:17:19 am
At the end I have to admit that the money spend an the AVON AM26ers was blown into the oven. They just didn´t make it straightforward in their own right, neither with 1,3 bar nor with 2,0. Finally I was fed up with swerving about and got myself a pair of

wich seem to have cured most of my problems with the rubber sector. Today I could do a test ride of some 60kms in late autumn temperatures ( 5-10°C). I´m quite impressed, the stability problems above 80 km/h I encountered with the AM26 were just blown off, the Heidenaus run dead straight up to 120 kms. However, the handling is more on the stubborn side now, but that´s the way I like it and the Bullet, beeing an Enfield, is still very nimble compared with other bikes of it´s size. Steering precision is good, there is a slight tendency to understeer but maybe it´s owed to the rubber nipples that are not yet worn. I can´t say much about the behavoir beeing heavily cantered or very hot, as the road conditions are very treacherous these days and I had to be extremly carefull. I´ll keep you posted!
5 kms before I reached home I passed a car accident on the Autobahn and the driver really managed to set the cage on the roof. I hope noone is seriously injured, but it was an excellent reminder what all is about: to make it home alive. Best regards
Maturin

So how did these shape up several months down the track ?

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #63 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:36 pm
Sry Glen, winter in Bavaria. I covered a couple of hundered kilometers with the Heidenaus under harsh conditions and it was madatory to drive extremly carefull, so I couldn´t test them properly. Can´t wait for spring *deep sigh*. I´ll keep you posted when temperatures rise. Best regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: January 08, 2012, 03:54:25 pm
winter in bavaria....sounds beautiful and lots of the white stuff...I'm going to c if i can buy those tires here in the U.S.
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 02:25:16 am
Finally I was fed up with swerving about and got myself a pair of

wich seem to have cured most of my problems with the rubber sector. Today I could do a test ride of some 60kms in late autumn temperatures ( 5-10°C). I´m quite impressed, the stability problems above 80 km/h I encountered with the AM26 were just blown off, the Heidenaus run dead straight up to 120 kms.

That is pretty good.  Can you post pictures of your new tires ?  Thanks in advance.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

SHIFTYMACK

• Neophyte
Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:38 pm
Just instaled AM26's front and rear. seems like most off the new tyres are made to run tubeless. makes the sidewalls a little stiffer. get ready to work up a sweat changing them. The bike (04 bullet 65) handles so much better you can drag footpegs with ease. only problem is the aspect ratio. the diff.between width (100) and heigth (90) 90% The stock tires 3.25 frt 350 rear are as tall as they are wide. so the new tires change the gearing. (lower) just food for thought.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:41 am
The 3.25 K70 definitely doesn't push like the Avons. It tracks exremely well.
Bare

My initial impression of the K70s is quite good, as well.  Certainly not inferior on pavement to the AM26s I was running on my previous bike.  And better for mixed conditions.  I rode alongside a traffic jam in the dirt and broken concrete yesterday without the slightest insecurity.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #68 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:18 am
My initial impression of the K70s is quite good, as well.  Certainly not inferior on pavement to the AM26s I was running on my previous bike.  And better for mixed conditions.  I rode alongside a traffic jam in the dirt and broken concrete yesterday without the slightest insecurity.

Yes Agent X, K70's all the way. I will only run K70's from now on.............TILL THE END OF TIME_________or whenever the wear limits force me to buy a new set.

SkidMasters are a hindrance to the Bullet which IMHO is a great handling bike........with the "right tires".

Mr. Yuck says, "Avon's suck hard rubber!" Rhesus monkey's are sacrificed in the development of Avon rubber on a daily basis. Lab rats skid incessantly while on injections of Avon rubber. This is an epidemic on a world wide scale. Who new the cure was as simple as changing brands. Read the report that no one wants you to read. The fine print is so small you will need a WWII periscope to make out the scribblings. Donald Trumps hair is an Avon product. If he only knew about Dunlop's he could reverse his hair woes.

Like I have posted before, a set of K70's with tubes, delivered to your front door is about $140. You can't beat that price with an ugly stick. Well maybe you can if ugly means sick and sick means rad and rad means awesome and awesome means .......well you know what I mean. I totally and completely endorse the use of K70's on the Bullet. If not for the performance aspect but for the spot on looks.

I am truly not sorry if I offended anybody running Avon's or any other crappy tread. It is only one opinion of many! My many.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:59:01 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: June 21, 2012, 03:36:58 pm
You guys with the 18" tires have a pretty good selection vice us 19" fellows..Okay I'll change to k70 when the time comes as u guys go on and on about it..Maybe I'll  die and go to heaven when I put a set on..But the thoughts of wrestling with those tires again and at  4-5 k intervals vice the 10 k I isn't something I look forward too as I prefer to do them myself and inspect for rust, spoke and tape wear .I need a tire stretcher.. :P

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: June 21, 2012, 04:14:29 pm
The k70s go on and off MUCH easier than the Avons. The Enfield people didn't skimp on the Avons. They are good tires designed for long wear which makes them hard. No matter what the tread design there's always a tradeoff between long life or sticky grip. I'm only going to get 3500 miles till my rear k70 is bald. I can't find a good compromise tire that fits the 19" so it's changing tires every other oil change for now. That's alot of rubber to the landfill though.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: June 21, 2012, 04:23:05 pm
Jartist: Yes I've hear that they go on easier...3500 miles and shot..I bet they are sticky and ride great...Looks like your chain gets adjusted every 3500 miles too.. ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: June 21, 2012, 06:52:04 pm
I have a guy that changes my tire for $15 if I take the wheel off. I can handle that every 3500 rear, 7000 front. As long as the good ol' K70s keep the rubber side down, I'm happy.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:55 pm
Bare: Good price. I had  a wild hair and decided to play WWF for a few hours..Guess the k70 aren't as stiff in the side walls and slip on better which isn't something to knock..GM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01:34 pm
Back in the day, when I could change a tube in under five minutes with the bike laying on its side in the desert, I didn't mind tire changing. I'm too old and weak for that business any more. I can still do the front ones, but the rear is just too much!
I have to settle with "my guy"! Now all I have to do is teach him that the red dot goes by the valve stem!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer