Author Topic: What does this clutch lever pin do  (Read 2594 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: December 22, 2013, 09:55:57 pm
Swapping bars, I snapped this little clutch pin that presses in/depresses when you pull/release the clutch lever.  I'm assuming something with the starter. 

Do I need it?  I probably do.  So with it snapped, it's like I have the clutch lever pulled full time.

I'm wondering if NField will have that little part or I'll have to buy a whole new perch.

Thanks.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:55:14 pm
That's probably for your electric starter. Pull it in makes contact. If it works without it the hell with it. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:18:01 am
That little pin is on the switch that tells the starter circuit that the clutch is pulled in.

Normally, the electrical starter won't work if the transmission is not in neutral unless the clutch is pulled in.
Pulling in the clutch lever lets that switch pin move outward and bypasses the neutral lockout so the starter motor can operate even if the transmission is in gear.  This can be real handy if the engine dies at a stop light.

With that little pin broken off and little or nothing protruding from the switch the electrical system will think the clutch is pulled in all of the time.
That will allow the starter motor to operate if the transmission is in gear and the clutch is not pulled in.

As long as you remember this and pull in the clutch everything will be just like the switch was working.

If you forget and leave the clutch lever untouched and hit the starter motor switch while the transmission is still in gear, your motorcycle could start and roar off down the road before you expect it to.  ;D :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 06:35:21 pm
OK. Good enough for me fellas.  Sounds like I busted the right thing.

Thanks for the info.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM