Author Topic: About to bite the Bullet  (Read 8976 times)

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:11 pm
now that is sexy!  Great looking bike.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:36:21 pm
I'd do that 'pedestrian slicer' coupled with the chrome headlight 'peak/visor'... now we're talkin!   

Also, my dealer was mostly a boat dealer, and although he rode enfields for years and years and always carried a few in his showroom, he didn't know much about the inner workings of them- had a mechanic guy on duty to keep them all in tune for him.  (just rode the tester floor models around, didn't have a personal RE)

Best of luck, you're gonna love it!

Chuck

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:26 pm
So have you bitten?  ??? I think you'll really be happy with whatever you get, not an ugly one in the bunch, but unless the dealers gonna knock a whole heap off the 2010, maybe wait for that kick starter one. ONLY problem I see from the dealer end is that he might not have enuf liquid at the time to get another bike ordered immediately. That is one of the harder aspects of being a dealer. You wanna make the customer happy but youve already got alot of liquid assets tied up in the bikes on the floor. Moving bikes is key to staying in business, right up there with upselling accessories and providing service. Dealerships that dont excel in all of these things generally dont stick around too long.

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 01:39:22 am
Yep, just laid down some cash for a down payment to get the bike to GA.  I have bitten sir, very, very hard.  In the process of accessorizing now so that by Tuesday, when the dealer opens again, I'll have figured out everything I need/want on the C5.  This is what I'm thinking as of now:

-Front pedestrian slicer with Bullet 500 decal
-bolt on pillion seat for C5(actually I'm not sure which one this is...If someone can clue me in that would be great)
-Saddle bags...don't think I need a bracket...hopefully
- EFI silencer
-Throttle boss
-Fork bag
-Saddle can

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:56:55 am by noontime »

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:09 am
Sounds like you are making way too many decisions too quickly before you even receive the bike. Get it, look at it, ride it a lot, look at it again, go to enfield gear, and then decide what you want to do to the damn thing. Stock looks great by the way. That's what attracted you to thing in the first place right?
By the way, I just received and installed the fork bag behind the seat and LOVE it.
Also, got the efi muffler and after break in will have it installed. Can't wait to hear the louder Thump Thump Thump!!!!!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 04:05:10 am
I've been looking and thinking about these bike for the past 11 years.  I initially fell in love with the iron barrel British racing green with a tan solo seat, tan bags and a front license plate.  For years that is what I wanted.  I fell in love all over again each new model that came out...though less so with the Electras.  When I saw the teal C5 I knew it was time, updated technology, sleek 50's styling, stock spring solo seat.  My only problem is that I haven't ridden them.  Believe me, I will ride this thing EVERY day!

bman734, why will you wait to install the EFI until after break in?

Keep thumpin

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:57 am
Yep, just laid down some cash for a down payment to get the bike to GA.  I have bitten sir, very, very hard.  In the process of accessorizing now so that by Tuesday, when the dealer opens again, I'll have figured out everything I need/want on the C5.  This is what I'm thinking as of now:

-Front pedestrian slicer with Bullet 500 decal
-bolt on pillion seat for C5(actually I'm not sure which one this is...If someone can clue me in that would be great)
-Saddle bags...don't think I need a bracket...hopefully
- EFI silencer
-Throttle boss
-Fork bag
-Saddle can

Thoughts?

Here is a link to a picture of some of the items on your list, they are available thru RE dealers.   Go for it.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3158
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:59 am
Great choices! I added small bullet traficators and a 7" headlight. I like the looks and extra light for night riding.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:01 am
with most the slip-on exhaust, you'll want the new improved
mounting bracket from RE. the strap that comes with it can
break in a few miles.
you'll need a 1.75 exhaust clamp too. optional would be a small
heat shield to hide the junction.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:41 pm
Hey brother noontime, all of those sound like good choices and by getting all that through the dealer he will be happy as a guy with a new enfield.  ;D

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 05:56:19 pm
Great choices! I added small bullet traficators and a 7" headlight. I like the looks and extra light for night riding.

If going for the bullet trafficators, I'd suggest looking into superbrightLED's for them to give you more visibility... a lot of people on here swear by them, and I'm about to get them for my stock Electra.

Congrats and good luck!

Chuck

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 06:31:50 pm
optional would be a small
heat shield to hide the junction.

Believe me. The heat shield is not an option, it's mandatory!
I burnt my leg, my boots and my pants on that bare pipe behind the footpeg several times before I got the heat shield. My legs are short, which exacerbates the problem, but get the shield! My leg still isn't entirely healed, and the pants were trashed, the boots mostly survived except for a closing tab that the velcro got melted on.
Mine is actually behind the junction. The junction part is a bit too far forward to need the shield nearly as much as behind it. It would be nice to push it farther forward, but not nearly as much protection. It would be nice of the shield were about 3" longer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:58 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I've added the heat shield, exhaust clamp and better mounting bracket.  I'm also considering the 7" headlight, but I'm not sure yet.  I may get the bike and ride it a while before I upgrade the light....any pro's and con's on that subject?

Have to admit I didn't know what the heck a trafficator was...I assumed it was a blinker of some sort.  Guess I was right, according to wikipedia,  :D

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 07:54:56 am
7" pros: more light, better looking IMHO, oncoming traffic can see you better.
Cons: price, installation can be a pain (springs), not adjustable.

Changed my avatar to the number plate. Pillion sits well above the fender and can be removed by removing one bolt and loosening two nuts.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:03 am
noontime, your gonna find that the 5 and 3/4 headlight is better designed for riding around the same time as your screen name indicates. At night it is very easy to overdrive that headlight. Lightnin bug butts are brighter! I havent upgraded yet but plan on it being my next big purchase.