Author Topic: About to bite the Bullet  (Read 8980 times)

noontime

• Scooter
on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:33 am
I've been following the Enfields since 2000 when I first heard a british racing green iron barrel bullet kick started...I fell in love.  I am finally going to get one, but I have a few questions about them.  I've searched the forums and my questions are these:

1. Do the new C-5 models really have a kick start or is that just rumor?
2. If I had the dealer order one, how long would it take to get to Georgia and for me to be riding it?
3. Is is kosher to make a dealer order the exact bike I have with a kick start or should I buy one off the floor that does not have it?
4. My local dealer told me that they are phasing out kick starts on bikes now that they put the electric starts on them and that the teal green color of the 2010 C-5 he has (which is what I want) is a limited color and is not continued on the newer bikes.  How do I tell him he is a fool with out hurting his feelings?
5. How does one deal with the anticipation and excitement of potentially fulfilling an 11 year dream?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:18:27 am
Get the color you want and yes, the 2011 does have a kick start.  If you can get a really good deal on the 2010 Teal, then there really isn't much to be gained by the 2011, unless you have your heart set on the kickstart.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:42:49 am
1) The 2011 C5 does have a kick start. 

2) Ask the dealer how long it would take.

3) Yes, you can ask your dealer to order theexact bike you want.  He doesn't have to do it and I'm sure he'd rather sell you what he already has.  You can either insist on the bike you really want or use this as leverage to make a deal on the one he has.  Be nice, if he knows you're going to be back for parts and service he's more inclined to help you.

4) Don't tell him he's anything, just ask him to call CMW and ask for what you want.  If he won't then call yourself and get the info.  Certain bikes/colors can be in limited supply at times.  The factory is running at full capacity to keep up with demand.

5) Patiently ;)  Be nice to your dealer and patient enough to get what you really want.  Don't let the anticipation force you into a decision you don't really want to make.

Scott

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:59:35 pm
Thanks guys.  I really do want the kick start, it was part of what I loved about the bikes in the first place.  I really wanted an iron barrel but now I have lust for the C-5.  It seems the longer I have waited the more beautiful the bikes have become!

I also need a seat for the lady, any suggestions on a comfy rear pillion seat?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:22:36 am
5. How does one deal with the anticipation and excitement of potentially fulfilling an 11 year dream?

With as much patience as you can muster would be my advice.

Taking a MSF riders course would be fantastic use of the time between order and delivery,,,,,brush up those old skills and learn some new tactics in the process.

Oh,,,,, and welcome to the forum.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:28 pm

Taking a MSF riders course would be fantastic use of the time between order and delivery,,,,,brush up those old skills and learn some new tactics in the process.

+1
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:51:54 pm
Ya, it will be good to get back in the saddle.  I sold my last bike a little under 2 years ago for a down payment on a Bullet. About a week later I showed up shiny faced at the dealer cash in hand ready for my Royal Enfield, they informed me that the day before I arrived they sent all their inventory to auction and closed the motorcycle portion of the store.  I was devastated. 
I suppose it was a blessing in disguise considering how much I like the C5's.  I didn't even have to convince my little lady to let me have one, she WANTS me to get one.  Gotta love that.
Thanks for the responses.  Good to see such an active forum of people who love these bikes!

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:27:15 am
I have a 2011 Teal C-5 - kick start but perhaps they are not available to the US ?
Dr B

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:54:28 am
I also need a seat for the lady, any suggestions on a comfy rear pillion seat?

The accessory pillion from RE is very nice, goes on and off in minutes, and is really sturdy.  Can't comment on the comfort yet, my wife still hasn't gone for a spin with me.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:41 am
So this dealer tells you they are phasing out kickstarters when in fact they are bringing them back.

He tells you that teal is a limited color. It is not.

Does he really not know or is he not telling the truth?

Is there another dealer nearby?

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:25:37 am
Sounds to me like the dealer is trying to unload the 2010 on you. Be aware that not all dealers keep up with the latest and greatest news and tech in the RE world, thats where this website and its forums are stellar. I've been able to show my dealer a thing or two that I learned from the fine folk here.   Don't let that dealer push you where you dont want to go, if he cant cater to your exact needs, then look for another dealer. You may have to travel a bit, but customer service, product knowledge and professionalism from a good dealer are worth the extra drive.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 06:34:18 am
+1 X infinity
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:36:42 am by holodeck »

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:47 am
It sounds like the kickstarter is really what you WANT so you should let the dealer know nicely that that is one of your selling points. True, you may not get as good a deal on the 2011 but you will get exactly what you wanted in the first place. I would have liked to wait, but I knew the dealer in my town from years back and he knocked 700 dollars off the 2010 on the show room floor. I couldnt say no. You can. I wish my C5 had a kick but it doesnt. Dont be too hard on your dealer. In this economic environment, a bike on the showroom floor is just killing his bottom line. Dealers WILL try and sell you what they have, that is one of the things they have to do to stay in business. But if you explain why you would rather order what you want they should comply and will start trying to SELL someone else. You sound like your already sold so just let him know. Be nice and dont take it personal. Selling motorcycles nowdays is a hard business to turn a buck.

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:12 am
Ya, I'm sure he is trying to push his inventory.  I'll speak with him about it and see if he is willing to get the bike I want.  If not, that is ok, I'll find some place that will but I have a feeling he'll work with me. 

So the pillion seat bolts on and off quickly and won't scratch the fender?  Also has anyone put the deluxe front number plate on the C5?  I'd like to see what it looks like on this bike or if it fits at all.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:46 am
 Also has anyone put the deluxe front number plate on the C5?  I'd like to see what it looks like on this bike or if it fits at all.
[/quote]

In the photo gallery / member rides.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2745
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:33:18 pm by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:11 pm
now that is sexy!  Great looking bike.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:36:21 pm
I'd do that 'pedestrian slicer' coupled with the chrome headlight 'peak/visor'... now we're talkin!   

Also, my dealer was mostly a boat dealer, and although he rode enfields for years and years and always carried a few in his showroom, he didn't know much about the inner workings of them- had a mechanic guy on duty to keep them all in tune for him.  (just rode the tester floor models around, didn't have a personal RE)

Best of luck, you're gonna love it!

Chuck

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:26 pm
So have you bitten?  ??? I think you'll really be happy with whatever you get, not an ugly one in the bunch, but unless the dealers gonna knock a whole heap off the 2010, maybe wait for that kick starter one. ONLY problem I see from the dealer end is that he might not have enuf liquid at the time to get another bike ordered immediately. That is one of the harder aspects of being a dealer. You wanna make the customer happy but youve already got alot of liquid assets tied up in the bikes on the floor. Moving bikes is key to staying in business, right up there with upselling accessories and providing service. Dealerships that dont excel in all of these things generally dont stick around too long.

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 01:39:22 am
Yep, just laid down some cash for a down payment to get the bike to GA.  I have bitten sir, very, very hard.  In the process of accessorizing now so that by Tuesday, when the dealer opens again, I'll have figured out everything I need/want on the C5.  This is what I'm thinking as of now:

-Front pedestrian slicer with Bullet 500 decal
-bolt on pillion seat for C5(actually I'm not sure which one this is...If someone can clue me in that would be great)
-Saddle bags...don't think I need a bracket...hopefully
- EFI silencer
-Throttle boss
-Fork bag
-Saddle can

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:56:55 am by noontime »

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:09 am
Sounds like you are making way too many decisions too quickly before you even receive the bike. Get it, look at it, ride it a lot, look at it again, go to enfield gear, and then decide what you want to do to the damn thing. Stock looks great by the way. That's what attracted you to thing in the first place right?
By the way, I just received and installed the fork bag behind the seat and LOVE it.
Also, got the efi muffler and after break in will have it installed. Can't wait to hear the louder Thump Thump Thump!!!!!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 04:05:10 am
I've been looking and thinking about these bike for the past 11 years.  I initially fell in love with the iron barrel British racing green with a tan solo seat, tan bags and a front license plate.  For years that is what I wanted.  I fell in love all over again each new model that came out...though less so with the Electras.  When I saw the teal C5 I knew it was time, updated technology, sleek 50's styling, stock spring solo seat.  My only problem is that I haven't ridden them.  Believe me, I will ride this thing EVERY day!

bman734, why will you wait to install the EFI until after break in?

Keep thumpin

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:57 am
Yep, just laid down some cash for a down payment to get the bike to GA.  I have bitten sir, very, very hard.  In the process of accessorizing now so that by Tuesday, when the dealer opens again, I'll have figured out everything I need/want on the C5.  This is what I'm thinking as of now:

-Front pedestrian slicer with Bullet 500 decal
-bolt on pillion seat for C5(actually I'm not sure which one this is...If someone can clue me in that would be great)
-Saddle bags...don't think I need a bracket...hopefully
- EFI silencer
-Throttle boss
-Fork bag
-Saddle can

Thoughts?

Here is a link to a picture of some of the items on your list, they are available thru RE dealers.   Go for it.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3158
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:59 am
Great choices! I added small bullet traficators and a 7" headlight. I like the looks and extra light for night riding.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:01 am
with most the slip-on exhaust, you'll want the new improved
mounting bracket from RE. the strap that comes with it can
break in a few miles.
you'll need a 1.75 exhaust clamp too. optional would be a small
heat shield to hide the junction.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:41 pm
Hey brother noontime, all of those sound like good choices and by getting all that through the dealer he will be happy as a guy with a new enfield.  ;D

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 05:56:19 pm
Great choices! I added small bullet traficators and a 7" headlight. I like the looks and extra light for night riding.

If going for the bullet trafficators, I'd suggest looking into superbrightLED's for them to give you more visibility... a lot of people on here swear by them, and I'm about to get them for my stock Electra.

Congrats and good luck!

Chuck

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 06:31:50 pm
optional would be a small
heat shield to hide the junction.

Believe me. The heat shield is not an option, it's mandatory!
I burnt my leg, my boots and my pants on that bare pipe behind the footpeg several times before I got the heat shield. My legs are short, which exacerbates the problem, but get the shield! My leg still isn't entirely healed, and the pants were trashed, the boots mostly survived except for a closing tab that the velcro got melted on.
Mine is actually behind the junction. The junction part is a bit too far forward to need the shield nearly as much as behind it. It would be nice to push it farther forward, but not nearly as much protection. It would be nice of the shield were about 3" longer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:58 am
Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I've added the heat shield, exhaust clamp and better mounting bracket.  I'm also considering the 7" headlight, but I'm not sure yet.  I may get the bike and ride it a while before I upgrade the light....any pro's and con's on that subject?

Have to admit I didn't know what the heck a trafficator was...I assumed it was a blinker of some sort.  Guess I was right, according to wikipedia,  :D

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 07:54:56 am
7" pros: more light, better looking IMHO, oncoming traffic can see you better.
Cons: price, installation can be a pain (springs), not adjustable.

Changed my avatar to the number plate. Pillion sits well above the fender and can be removed by removing one bolt and loosening two nuts.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:03 am
noontime, your gonna find that the 5 and 3/4 headlight is better designed for riding around the same time as your screen name indicates. At night it is very easy to overdrive that headlight. Lightnin bug butts are brighter! I havent upgraded yet but plan on it being my next big purchase.

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17:46 am
I got it!!  My very own beautiful little C5 in Teal!!!  It's in my garage now.

I drove it home from the dealer and parked it in the cul de sac in front of my house and true to form all of my neighbors that I haven't even meet suddenly came out of their houses to oogle at the beauty.  I am sooooooooooo happy!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 12:24:48 am
I got it!!  My very own beautiful little C5 in Teal!!!  It's in my garage now.

I drove it home from the dealer and parked it in the cul de sac in front of my house and true to form all of my neighbors that I haven't even meet suddenly came out of their houses to oogle at the beauty.  I am sooooooooooo happy!

Very nice!  Now we need pix!!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:22 am
Congrats on the new bike!, Your life just got better!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:51 am
Congratulations, a wise choice!   Like fine wine, they just get better with age.
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 01:26:06 am
Congratulations on your new RE.
Get used to the gawkers.  They seem to come from nowhere to see what your riding.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 03:00:30 pm
 ;D ;D ;D Congrats!  ;D ;D ;D

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 04:10:54 pm
congrats!! 8)