Author Topic: starting and stopping procedure. What do you do? ( ignition and kill switch )  (Read 6380 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks johno and Guaire, good to know the kick starter can get an Enfield rider out of a pickle.
  I see you're in NZ. You might have a working light switch on the right hand pod. Turn the lights off for starting.
  The stock coil is weak. Tom and I offer a DynaTek coil replacement. It's a stronger coil. The better spark helps to start up without a strong battery.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

manxmike

• Manxmike
  • Scooter
I never touch my kill switch on purpose. The last time I accidentally hit a kill switch was when I owned a 1971 Triumph Bonneville and accidentally moved the kill switch (I had never seen a kill switch before) to off and then spent the next 15 minutes trying to kick and push start the bike until I finally noticed the switch was in the off position. Since then I always turn my bikes on and off using the ignition key - except in the case of my BMW R12RS which is "keyless".   ::)
I had a 1971 Bonnie, first of the oil in frame models (actually oif were produced in 1972, but mine was an experimental model) it didn't have a kill switch!
If all about you are panicking then you've missed something important

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I had a 1971 Bonnie, first of the oil in frame models (actually oif were produced in 1972, but mine was an experimental model) it didn't have a kill switch!

Mine was sold as a 1971 model and I believe that was the year that I bought it from a dealer in Daly City, CA, long since departed. I paid $1200 for the bike and I eventually counted 15 factory-installed defects, including the main jets just sitting in the float bowls, a defective oil pressure sensor and the frame oil drain plug needing a 250 foot-pound air gun to loosen it.  :o  When I left the dealership, at the first left turn traffic light, when I stopped I put my foot down and fell over because the pavement was further away than I had expected.  :-[
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
I see you're in NZ. You might have a working light switch on the right hand pod.

No such luck. In NZ we are legally required to ride with headlights on (with exceptions for older bikes). So new bikes don't have a switch for the lights. I did see this interesting video from Bullet Guru, and may be tempted to try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEQQMHjReA

My bike is only two weeks old, and I won't be changing anything soon... but for the future, who knows.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Thats almost the same way I fitted my light switch. But you can buy the multi pin connector terminals online and refit the wires into the blocks rather than trying to joint two end bits. I also made the pilot light switchable.
Off route, recalculate?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Mine was sold as a 1971 model and I believe that was the year that I bought it from a dealer in Daly City, CA, long since departed. I paid $1200 for the bike and I eventually counted 15 factory-installed defects, including the main jets just sitting in the float bowls, a defective oil pressure sensor and the frame oil drain plug needing a 250 foot-pound air gun to loosen it.  :o  When I left the dealership, at the first left turn traffic light, when I stopped I put my foot down and fell over because the pavement was further away than I had expected.  :-[
  Those were the darkest days of Triumph.
  The 1979 Bonneville T140EPA was outstanding though.
ACE Motors - sales & administration