Author Topic: Kick Starting  (Read 1844 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:45 am
I got my G5 bike kick started today...Twice.
A few weeks ago, I tried to start with different techniques with no luck at all. I looked like Jay Leno trying to get it started with about as much success. I got a big bruise on my calf where I slipped off the kick starter right above the big burn I got from the pipe. 
Then reading some of the posts on the forum, I figured I needed to simplify my technique. I had changed out the rear turn signals after riding earlier this morning, so the bike was cold. I got up on it with it on the center stand, turned on the key, shoved the kick starter down to compression, and I was going to push it though a time or two, but that was hard so I just brought the kick started up to the top and kicked it through...It Ran!  That was easy enough, I had to fix some other stuff on the bike and a couple of hours later, I tried the same technique, One kick and it was thumping away.
I'm still not a fan of automatic compression releases, though.
Great machines, wot?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:55:57 am
You found the sweet spotfor kicking over.  Having watched the kickstart procedure for the bikes with ammeters I figured there had to be an easier way with the UCE bikes rather than just kicking until it takes.  You got it, roll the kicker until it is hard then bring the kicker Mack up and send her home.

Good job man,

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:33:54 pm
I've been kick starting it every time now. One kick is all it's ever taken.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com