Author Topic: Parking & Headlight Switch Activation on Youtube  (Read 8124 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 08, 2011, 02:15:44 am
Some members have been discussing and questioning about parking and headlight switch on RE motorcycles.  It is here on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:24:04 am
Thanks Singh! That made it really clear.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:50:39 am
singhg:  Well done!
Clear and concise. :)

If I ever get into that area I'll modify it as you have shown.

I'm in favor of running my headlight when I'm rideing in the city but when I'm working on the bike in my back yard with the engine idling or I'm on a lonely road with no oncoming traffic I would rather have those 35 watts going into my battery.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:40 am
Holy cow! Does this work for the c5 as well? I thought my switch was broke and about to give dealer a ration of something unpleasant.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:29 am
Holy cow! Does this work for the c5 as well? I thought my switch was broke and about to give dealer a ration of something unpleasant.
Yup. Pulling the jumper cable after removing the C5 headlight will activate your switch, but make sure you manually switch on your headlight......definite safety issue and also required by law......whether you agree with it or not.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:23 am
singhg you are really good with the DIY things.  Do you have any plans to do a video about the right side engine cover remove & reinstall?   It would really be handy for guys thinking about changing the front sprocket.    Also guys like me getting ready to do the sight glass R & R.

Thanks for posting  :)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:09:56 am
Awesome as always Singh, thanks. At this rate I won't have to fork over 100 bucks for the ScooterBob's Gone Wild DVD  ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:53 pm
Beautiful timing!, I had my headlight cover off when I saw this post as I was trying to figure out how I was going to rewire that switch.
Looking at the schematic in the "Service Manual" is tough because the print is so poor, the text is illegible. It's hard to tell what anything is on it. Even tried the magnifying glass and that just enhanced the blurriness. Enfield definitely needs to work on this one!
Anyway, pulled the jumper and all is as I wanted it.
I'm just about finished with all the mods I wanted to make make on the Beast!
Thank you for that fine video, Singh.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:52:17 pm
Looking at the schematic in the "Service Manual" is tough because the print is so poor, the text is illegible. It's hard to tell what anything is on it. Even tried the magnifying glass and that just enhanced the blurriness.

+1  :D

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:33:02 pm
Singhg5:

Very professional - great coverage  and easy to watch - you are a videographer of the first class.
Dr B

mikesince1974

• Scooter
  • 2010 Bullet Deluxe G5, 1973 Honda CB450 Cafe
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:48:16 pm
  Thank you.  Clear, informative and to the point.    ;D
Keep the paint up, and the rubber down!  ~Author Unknown

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 05:58:33 pm
Glad to see that you all liked the video.

The bike starts easier by taking the headlight load off the battery. Once the engine is running, I turn on all the lights as required here.

Do you have any plans to do a video about the right side engine cover remove & reinstall?     

Yes, it is very much there. Hope to do so in a month.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

DC Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:39 am
Very cool. I am doing that tomorrow. It will be good to have some control of the lights. I thought the switch was broken on my C5.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:41 am
As always Singhg5, that was concise and easy to follow, very informative and practical information,you are a prince among men. Thanx man!  ;D

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:37 pm
Very cool. I am doing that tomorrow. It will be good to have some control of the lights. I thought the switch was broken on my C5.

I was going to do this and then decided against it.  Auto-on headlights have been a part of my riding experience since I first took it up 25 years ago.  Never once have I had to turn on my lights.

I never forget to put my kickstand up.  I never forget to cancel my turn signal.  I will almost certainly forget to switch on my headlight.

I think I'll be the safe one this time and just leave the damn thing alone.   ;)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:13 am
I never forget to put my kickstand up.  I never forget to cancel my turn signal.  I will almost certainly forget to switch on my headlight.

I think I'll be the safe one this time and just leave the damn thing alone.   ;)
Agreed. Sensible decision. I have gone back and forth with my harness twice because of the same concern.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 01:59:23 am
I felt the same way but since I was having starter trouble I disabled it.  Whenever it wouldn't start just turn off the headlight and that little extra juice got me rolling.  I've left it like this and haven't turned it off by accident yet.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 02:11:39 am
Removing it makes more room in the nacelle for the rest of the wires and eliminates  potential problems, Mines been gone since the day I bought he bike.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 02:38:21 am
Planning to pull it out when I put in the 7 inch light. It will need the room.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:49 pm
I felt the same way but since I was having starter trouble I disabled it.  Whenever it wouldn't start just turn off the headlight and that little extra juice got me rolling. 

That's  precisely the reason I was going to do it.  I don't like precious amps going to lighting during start-up, especially when it's below zero celsius (I'll ride down to minus ten if the roads are clear and dry).

But I know me.  I'd just forget to turn it on again. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 06:17:41 pm
I forget occasionally  to turn it on as I pull out of the garage, but I've always caught it before I got a block or so down the road. I like the option. I generally turn mine off when I park, so it becomes a natural response to turn it on.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

higgins

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 11:14:52 pm
Thank you. Very reassuring when I swapped out for the 7 inch beam.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:30 am
That's  precisely the reason I was going to do it.  I don't like precious amps going to lighting during start-up, especially when it's below zero celsius (I'll ride down to minus ten if the roads are clear and dry).

But I know me.  I'd just forget to turn it on again.  

If the only reason to enable the switch is to have the headlight off during startup a much better solution is a 12v Power-On Time Delay Relay. There are many types available and you can even make your own from a standard driving light relay, power transistor, capacitor and resistor but this commercial one below is typical of what you would use to disable headlight during startup and then, after a delay,  have it  permanently on:

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/timedelayrelay.php

Here is a setup that disables the headlight during startup and then reverts to normal headlight switch operations:

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/tdr-s.php

If, however, your intention is to have the lights off to conduct clandestine activities stealthily a 12v Power-On Time Delay Relay  will not really help matters :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:03:46 am by GlennF »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:10 am
I took my jumper out to enable me to work on my bike with the switch on and to have to worry about the lights draining the battery. Yeah, that was it, yeah, yeah, it was. ;)

It's also like the helmet laws, if I want my lights on, I can turn them on. I usually do, unless I forget. But I like having the choice.  Leaving them off is my clandestine activity!

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:32 am
I like the ability to turn off the headlight so I don't shine it into my neighbour's bedroom as I turn into my drive at night. Their bedroom lines up perfectly with my driveway. Oh, and the stealth mode is nice when pulling into the A+W cruise nights parking lot with just the 2 parking eyeballs and the parking light in the 7 inch bulb on thumping exhaust and all. REally turns heads.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:11 am
Glenn, those relays are really nice.  They should be standard equipment on motorcycles IMO.  Still, removing the jumper is free ;)  When my solenoid was going south turning off the headlight was the only way I could start the bike for about a month.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:08 pm
All good comments:

I took my harness out when I put in my 7" Sylvania Halogen for some more room and to save an extra 1.4 volts to turn over my starter according to my voltmeter.

I also always remember to turn it on ( daytime running is the law) because with the lights off ( including pilots) none of the other dash lights come on including my volt light so as soon as I go to start it I have to switch the parking on to see the volts and the engine light for the fuel pump priming.
Dr B

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 08:43:02 pm
Some members have been discussing and questioning about parking and headlight switch on RE motorcycles.  It is here on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4

Thanks much for posting this. The dealer I bought from mentioned the jumper to preempt any complaint about the inoperative switch. Did it today on my 2014 C5 in less than 10 minutes.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:58 pm
I did this operation right after I bought my bike, at the same time I changed to a 7" headlight. I have a very bright & expensive Xenon Bulb, that I wish to conserve for night time, I also like to be in complete control of my bikes functions. I wired up the LED PILOT LIGHT in my reflector to come on with my LED PARKING LIGHTS, which I run in town during the daylight hours. At night everything is on. Here is a picture of my only parking lights turned on - making me Legal.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:03 am
Singh - Great camera work, editing and titling. I watched your spra g clutch removal too. I like the meditative pace and audio track, the way you don't bugger the hardware, not going overboard on torqueing.
  What do I know? I'm just a pensioner retired from the movie industry. Good job.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 04:39:30 am
Craig, be careful.... in some jurisdictions having a red or a blue light visible from the front is illegal on most vehicles; it is reserved for law enforcement and emergency vehicles.  A cop friend of mine told me most law enforcement officials wouldn't notice or care but if they wanted to be a hard a** they could.....
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 12:33:12 pm
Yup. Pulling the jumper cable after removing the C5 headlight will activate your switch, but make sure you manually switch on your headlight......definite safety issue and also required by law......whether you agree with it or not.

Be careful with all-encompassing statements about "the law". It is NOT the law in every state.

And don't assume anything about my "safety"; I'm not saying the safety police are right or wrong. It's just a statement of fact.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:54 pm
Craig, be careful.... in some jurisdictions having a red or a blue light visible from the front is illegal on most vehicles; it is reserved for law enforcement and emergency vehicles.  A cop friend of mine told me most law enforcement officials wouldn't notice or care but if they wanted to be a hard a** they could.....
HAHA, The Headlight Bulb & button in center of Tripod are BLUE also, but I only turn it all on at night (& I don't ride much at night if I can help it) Then I appear to be a mysterious mountain "Haunt Light", out with all the other critters.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:41 pm
ghostrider
 ;) :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

LDHC5

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
I pulled the jumper out on my C5, 2011 and the light switch works great. I have the 7" headlight with the internal pilot light. So I have 3 pilot lights on with switch in the mid position. Should have done that long time ago. Also changed battery to the AGM type.