Author Topic: Seattle Ducati/RE might close!  (Read 9191 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 06:04:58 pm
I like the modern interpretations but I'd like to see some retro bikes closer to the original.  Go with a more period appropriate but modernized engine. Tweak the things that need it: brakes, steering geometry, fuel injection, electronic ignition..

Wait, isn't that what RE did? ;)

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 06:19:20 pm
I had the same feeling about the new Triumphs. People want retro looks, not actual retro experience. I really got a laugh out of the Paul Smart Duc. The original had a translucent panel in the gas tank to see the level. The replica had a paint stripe to look like the original for those who have seen pics but not the real thing.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:52 pm
The retro Ducs, and Guzzis, have plastic gas tanks.  That creates problems (bulging tanks for one) when ethonal lace fuels are used.  Good luck trying to get around that when out on the road somewhere.  It's harder to find "clear" gas than diesel.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:55 pm
Yea the plastic tanks are a huge problem, at best you can hope it happens under warranty (which apparently is minimum 5 years in California. A CA automotive law that actually benefits the consumer?? Now I've heard everything). But if you're gonna tell me that an Italian super bike from the 70s is a hassle free ride, I've got some swampland in Florida...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 07:59:51 pm
The new bike don't have this problem any more.  There's an inside tank made of black plastic that doesn't have to look pretty and then outer shells for the cosmetics.  Makes it easy to swap them out for color change and/or repair.

And paint stripe or not that Paul Smart bike was awesome!

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:17:53 pm
Going back to the closures of motorcycle dearlers, within last year 2 dealers have gone out of business within driving distance form me in New Jersey. Both were experienced shops - one sold Honda/Triumph and the other sold Kaswasakis/ Yamahas/Triumph.

A couple of grocery stores recently closed down.   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:33 pm
  I saw that on the local news also and felt terrible for Dave and Seattle Ducati/Royal Enfield/Genuine Scooters. And Dave is happy to let a rider test ride a motorcycle. Then we have the gargantuan Renton Motorcycle Compney, the biggest mc dealership I've ever seen, who DOES NOT ALLOW Test Rides!! Why would anyone buy a motorcycle from a place like that? Support the dealers that let you test ride a bike.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:13 pm
+1.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 09:41:26 pm
I hate hearing this stuff..Don't even think u not gonna miss those guys and their shops.. :(
Oh Magoo you done it again

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:06 pm
AMEN! Pretty soon your gonna have to buy your motorcycle from Walmart!  >:(

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:20 am
I'm a tropical fish aquarium hobbiest, the local pet store here also sells E-Bikes, so dont be surprised to see motorbikes in Sprawl-Mart in the near future. Haha
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 03:16:03 am
Brammo is a company making some electric motorcycles.  Their first model (enertia) went about 40 and looked more like an electric appliance crossed with a mountain bike.  They sell it at Best Buy.  They now have two models.  The original now has much more power and range and the top line Empulse has three options, one of which can have a range up to 100 miles and a 100 mph top speed.  I really like what they've done and I'm really enthusiastic about electric vehicles but I hope they sell this thing through some moto dealers instead of electronics stores.  I've already got my RE dealer looking into it.

http://www.brammo.com/home/

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:45 am
yes they r nice...i like the brammo....after tax credit...7-10k....
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:06 am
Dealership that is successful despite the economy getting killed by a construction project  :P :'( :-[  Damn Shame
No matter where you go, there, you are.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:05 pm
Heartbreaking. I wonder if he can be compensated for the loss.