Author Topic: C5 Fork Tutorial  (Read 56206 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #75 on: December 30, 2012, 02:09:15 pm
I'm getting ready to change my fork oil - assembling the tools and materials I need, getting myself psyched, working out at the gym, brushing up on my spanish profanity (and learning some in other languages, too, just in case)...

At the risk of stepping on Scotty's toes, I'm posting this link in case anybody might find it helpful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjaxpoj20k5zdgu/Ducati%20Scottys%20C5%20Fork%20Tutorial.pdf?dl=0

It's the origin of this thread, his tutorial, in PDF format with the pics ebedded - I compiled it for myself so I could print it out and have it handy.  It's a bit sloppy, but I tried to keep the pics with the appropriate text, etc.  The links should work; they do for me on my computer.  I also didn't do much with photo resolution - I kept them high quality so they hopefully would print clearly (I haven't tried printing it yet, so no promises).  The file is about 2.5 Mb.

I brought it to his attention; he approved it, and was going to sort some way of hosting or posting it, but we all know how it is.  So in the meantime, I'll leave it on my server.  Hope this is ok, Scotty!!

(EDIT: new Dropbox link to this file.  Go there and use the "download" button to fetch the file to your own computer...)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:32:06 pm by mattsz »

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:04 am
Mattsz, There is nothing sloppy about it; pictures are of perfect size for close examination. Really handy file as on computer as in print.
You've just made Ducati Scott's outstanding write-up so much more useable. Welldone,  8)

As per Spanish profanity: do throw in some french for a philosophical and sophisticated touch. And beware of the Spanish inquisition... (all three of them) ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #77 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:17 am
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but while I'm thinking about it... if there's such nasty gunk in the forks, should I "wash" them out with anything to really clean them of the junk, before I put my clean liquid gold in them?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #78 on: January 05, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
Yes, clear that out. Some mild solvent or degreaser should do. 

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #79 on: January 05, 2013, 04:49:41 pm
Something like mineral spirits?  Should I try to pump it through the works, or maybe just give them a good shake with the stuff inside?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:20 pm
I would just put it in, slosh it around, and drain. After you let it dry for a while slop in a little oil, slosh it around, drain.  Then move on to refilling them.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 11:52:14 pm
I'll do that, Scotty, thanks!  Is mineral spirits a good choice?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 12:59:58 am
Scotty probably knows best but if it were my bikes forks I would not use mineral spirits.

I would just use the oil I planned on filling the forks with.  Slosh it around and run the fork thru its compression (without the spring if it were out) and then dump the oil.

My idea would be to wash out whatever sludge might have accumulated in there while leaving a lubricant that would fully protect the parts if it somehow remained after it was dumped.

The problem with anything else is there is no way to totally get whatever is put inside out so some of it will end up in the 'working fluid' when I'm done.
If you used a solvent or "spirits" of any kind (other than the real oil) some of it will remain behind to contaminate the good oil.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #83 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:40 am
Good point Arizoni.  A flush or two with a cheap quart of motor oil is probably a better idea.  I always think in terms of the forks totally disassembled, but if you're just doing a drain and fill you'll likely leave some solvent in there.  Not the end of the world but not the best move either.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #84 on: January 06, 2013, 10:32:30 am
Thanks guys!  I'm just doing a wash, rinse and repeat this first time, so I'll stick with the oil flush...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:32 pm
Bump, for clarification!

The function of my forks is fine, and the seals don't leak, so all I'm going to do is swap the oil.

Scotty, about half-way through the "Fork Leg Disassembly" section:

• Turn the fork leg upside down and pour the oil into a catch container.  Pump the fork in and out several times while upside down until you can hear that all the oil is out.

also found on page 8 of the PDF file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjaxpoj20k5zdgu/Ducati%20Scottys%20C5%20Fork%20Tutorial.pdf?dl=0

I assume that this is the point at which I can stop, refill and reassemble?  I plan to "rinse" the old stuff out with clean oil before the final fill, but I just wanna be sure about how far to take the disassembly!

If so, then I don't need the 20 inches of ratchet extensions, and I don't need to "separate the upper legs and lower sliders"?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:35:49 pm by mattsz »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:06 pm
Yes, exactly.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #87 on: March 12, 2013, 11:49:27 am
@mattsz

Any updates? Did you manage to open the reverse thread 12mm top cap of the fork leg on your B5?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 10:47:41 pm
JVS -

No updates... I haven't attempted the job yet.  But soon... and I promise I'll report back!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #89 on: June 26, 2013, 02:11:09 pm
Today's the day.

Anyone done this on a B5 and can confirm the fork oil quantity?  I'll measure what comes out, but just wondering...

I believe the consensus is that the B5 fork is the same as the C5; Scotty says it's 195ml.  My owners manual says "200 m / leg." which, I assume, means 200ml each side.