Author Topic: A Fuse Question  (Read 2793 times)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
on: October 05, 2018, 02:31:32 am
Hello all,  I'm currently managing an unfortunate illness which disallows me to ride my 2014 C5 (US Spec). Hopefully in time this will all pass and I'll soon be back out on the open road grinning from ear to ear.  But for now all I can do is stare at her and dream of the future.  Usually I kick her through a few times each week or so when I haven't been able to ride but for now that's something I physically cannot do.  I thought there may be a way to use the electric start to turn the engine over a few times rather than the kick starter, just to keep things moving and build up a bit of oil pressure. I'm not keen to start the engine as I won't be able to get it up to full operating temperature in the garage and that will only cause unwanted internal moisture.  Might any of you schematic gurus out there know if there's a certain fuse I can pull that will disengage the fuel pump yet allow the electric start to turn the engine over without firing?  Thanks very much for any help you may offer.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:42:14 am
i think ive done this during compression testing to stop unwanted fuel in the chamber.
just follow the head from the fuel pump to its connector and disconnect it that way you can do the electric start kick but no fire up

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:45:13 am
DON'T try and pull the lead out from the back of the fuel pump!
just follow the lead to the rear of the battery compartment and just unclip it

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:01:08 am
Uses the electric starter with the side stand open,
so the engine runs but the fuel pump and the injection are switched off

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:08:08 pm
The side stand option sounds rather clever, but I removed that switch early on in my ownership so that's unfortunately not an option.  Thanks very much for the suggestion though. I appreciate it. Perhaps removing the one, the other or both fuel pump related relays may give the desired result.  I'll play around with those options as well. Regards,  Kevin Daly

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 07:02:57 pm
You could always pull the spark plug wire off of the plug to prevent engine from firing.  The electric fuel pump will pressurize fuel to your injector though... and what dictates injector opening...?  ???

I'm pretty sure you will get some amount of fuel in your oil if the pump is not unplugged before turning on key.  :(

If you do unplug the fuel pump, and turn the key on, that causes a fault code and your engine light will blink, or come on, or... something! ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:18 pm
Just a question really: wouldn't letting the bike idle in the garage for 5 mins reach a decent temperature and get everything moving?
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 08:18:25 pm
You could put a 4" flexible aluminum dryer vent hose over the muffler and run it out under the garage door.   More elaborate would be to mount a dryer vent on the garage door to connect the hose to.   Some service centers use systems similar to this to close doors and run vehicles inside during inciimate weather.   You also need a source of air (window to open) .  After a couple of minutes warm up on center stand you can then check oil level in the sight glass.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:45:03 am
short static runs on motorcycle engines are a sure fire way of killing the engine and battery in early life.

Instead of trying to run it,
remove the spark plug, put a drop of somthing like redex into the combustion chamber, turn the engine over slowly to coat the bore, re fit the spark plug. Then disconnect the battery, remove it to somewhere where you you could charge it monthly or keep on a maintainer charger. heavily oil the chain but don't cover it unless you have some kind of greased wrapping. Also over inflate the tyres to stop them deforming and check them monthly if possible.

If the stand-down is for a longer period, ie over 6 months change the oil and filter (should do it anyway) to keep the acids at bay.

I work away alot, longest without running a bike was about 3 years, on return after a bit of fettling the bikes start up and are rideable straight away (after a tyre check)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 11:23:03 am
To all, A solution has been found, but first I'd like to sincerely thank all who have replied. Every suggestion inspires the mind and after full consideration a solution usually comes into focus. Initially I had thought I could simply remove a fuse to bypass the fuel pump leaving only the starter motor to turn the engine over on occasion without actually starting it. The solution ultimately came from one of my earlier posts where my fuel pump kept priming continuously when the key was turned to the on position. It was forum member Haggis and others who enlightened me to the purpose of both the fuel pump and power relays in the side box. I learned this evening that if I remove only the fuel pump relay I get exactly the result I'm looking for - no fuel pump activation and priming when the key is turned to the on position and the starter button turns the engine over. Simple and elegant, but you must remember to be sure the bike is in neutral and the engine kill switch is set the the run position. I'd rather not say how long it took me to realize those two items but let's just say they're critical to your success. :-[ Thanks again to everyone and have a great week on your Royal Enfield. Regards, Kevin Daly

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:47:40 pm
And you have a great week, regardless!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.