Author Topic: Flat Tire  (Read 6341 times)

SimonT

• Bulleteer
on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:14 pm
So i set off from work this morning... and got about 2 km into the trip and though to myself... gee this feels a bit loose at the back end.

Pulled over, and sure enough theres a nail stuck in my tire :(

I managed to get to a service station for air, but that was no use... it leaked out faster than it went in....

So i babied it back home the 2km or so (hopefully i didnt damage the tire-it looked ok).

Luckily Ive still got my other bike, so i jumped on that to get to work.

Im going for a ride tomorrow morning, so in need to get this repaired tonight. What tools etc do i need? What is the easiest way to change the tire?

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated :)

Luckily RE supply a spare tube :)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:24 pm
there is a youtube video of just a tire change on the rerr wheel of a RE. I'm on my cellphone typing this so cant post a link...  Google royel enfield tire change.  Its a good video.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:07:47 am
C5 or G5?  The C5 tires are WAY tight on the rim.  Even my mechanic had trouble getting them off.  Get some very long tire irons and some help if you've got a C5.  G5's come off more easily.

I'm sure if you look on YouTube there will be a vidoe of dismounting tires that will tell you more than we ever could.

Scott

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:52:32 am
Man, if the G5 is easy compared to the C5, I can't even imagine how hard it is with the C5.

If you don't have any tools or experience, you will save yourself a ton of headache by just taking it to a shop. It is very easy, even with a half dozen tire spoons and an hour's time, to pinch a hole in your new tube, or scratch the crap out of your rim trying to get the tire off.

As long as the nail hole is near the center of the tread, it doesn't need to be plugged or patched - just swap out the tube.

The day I bought my bike, I got a screw in my rear tire on I-76 through Philadelphia and rode it all the way 20 miles home without realizing it, thinking that the bike just had sucky handling, as all the air slowly leaked out   :o
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:03:45 am
I have lots of tools and experience.  I still take it to the shop to have it changed ;)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:09:19 am
Maybe this will help, good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJL8pBXBp3Y
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:11:07 am
oh man,,,, that doesnt sound reassuring....

I need to change it tonight, so a shop is really out of the question.

Ive got C5... :(
Ill stop at an auto parts store on the way home from work and grab the longest tire irons i can get.

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:11:59 am

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:38 am
The trick (if you can call it that) with tire irons is having more of them, not longer ones, although length will help you get leverage. You can easily pull the sidewall over the rim in one spot, but that won't get you anywhere and you'll swear loudly and injure your fingers.

I would say three is the bare minimum for this bike. You have two already, they should have come with the bike, but they are a joke. I would recommend getting three more.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:45:33 am
The 80 series low profile rear tires on a C5 are stiff little bitches to remove, I was not a happy camper the last time I changd mine. :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:05:26 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:21:11 am
 One thing to remember is after breaking the bead,,,press the sidewall down so as to allow the bead to  enter the deepest channel part of the rim while levering the spoon on the opposite side.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 06:18:33 am
Thanks for all the tips guys... ill give it a try this arvo :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:06:02 am
Dunno why I failed to mention,,,,,,,,,there are a couple youtube videos of changing the rear wheel of a Bullet . One Video shows a method of loosening the the rear fender stays and hardware and swinging the fender upwards.

On my Military I just lay the bike on its side  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:14 am
Dunno why I failed to mention,,,,,,,,,there are a couple youtube videos of changing the rear wheel of a Bullet . One Video shows a method of loosening the the rear fender stays and hardware and swinging the fender upwards.

On my Military I just lay the bike on its side  ;)

I think the easiest way of achieving this is to get it up on the centerstand with the rear end hanging off of an edge like a curb - you don't have to move or change anything, the wheel just falls right out. In my case, I used my porch. Much easier than laying it on its side, and you don't have to worry about the battery leaking  ;)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:08 pm
I have lots of tools and experience.  I still take it to the shop to have it changed ;)

Me too.  There's two things I won't mess with - rubber and carburetors.  I always muck them up, even when I think I know what I'm doing. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"