Author Topic: How much back preasure?  (Read 3599 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 10, 2007, 03:23:29 am
I have the classic exhaust from the CMW performance kit and am thinking about drilling out the baffle for more noise. I like a good loud bark out the tail pipe, but am concerned about altering performance in a negative way. I have drilled a few tiny holes already to help lean out the mixure (new carb ran way too rich).

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:46:51 am
Have your way with it. Drilling out the baffle will increase flow some and may in fact be a good thing. The key is to make sure that you re-jet the carb when you have settled on a configuration
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:55:47 pm
Thanks, I think I will open it up a bit more. Even with no silencer, these bikes are not as noisy as the custom V-twins roaring up and own the road.

I think I've got the carb just about right. When I first installed it, it was very rich, si I moved the clip on the needle one notch. That seemed to help, but the plug was still a bit sooty, Not enough however to move the needle another notch, so I put a few 1/4" holes in the baffle by going in through the inlet side of the silencer. It's still pretty quiet and the plug is cleaner.