Author Topic: OIl Change cost?  (Read 6190 times)

newC5owner

• Scooter
on: June 01, 2011, 01:39:14 am
Hi all - I just past the 300 mile marker with my new C5 -- in just three days
 :D

and am scheduled to bring it in for the service on Friday.

Here are my concerns/issues -- and any input is greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, I used to own a harley and do most of the minor service myself on it -- saved me a ton.

1) The dealer told me it would cost around 150 to 200...which sounds overly excessive IMO...  what do you think?

2) It appears that the 300 mile "tuneup" really is only about changing oil filter and oil?  Am I correct? or am I missing something???

3) In the event I do the oil & filter change myself...will that in anyway void my warranty??

THANKS for your feedback on this!!

Chris

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:04:31 am
WAT?
$200 will buy you enough oil and filters to last you 40,000 miles or more, depending on your interval.

Filters: OEM Part #500613
Oil: Castrol 20w50, $4/qt

If I took it to my dealer for every oil change, I would have used up all my vacation time and would be 500 dollars in the hole by now. Highly recommend the DIY method, especially if your dealer has never had one of these bikes in for service, as was the case with mine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:07:05 am by Fox »
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:06:35 am
Do the filter and oil yourself.  Go over the bike and check every fitting.  Have blue threadlocker on tap.  Check the chain and tighten and oil as needed.  Lube the cables and you're about set.

$150 to $200 is high, imho, but if you figure $90/hr labor and various parts and tax it's probably in that ballpark.  Another question to ask yourself is:  Do I want to support my dealer and help keep them going?  
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:17:03 am
Another question to ask yourself is:  Do I want to support my dealer and help keep them going?

If I were stranded on the side of the road, or had an engine failure, I don't think I'd even bother telling them. They care so little it would only be a waste of time. In my case, changing my own oil is a moral imperative. Then again, you could probably count on one hand the number of these bikes my dealer has moved in a year, as they are primarily a car dealer.

I really hope your dealer experience is better than mine.

newC5owner

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:03 am
Thanks for your responses all.

My dealer experience has been kind of so - so thus far...

I am really mostly concerned about the warranty..any ideas on that?

I love getting my hands dirty and would def pref. to do this myself anyhow...

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:29:42 am
Thanks for your responses all.

My dealer experience has been kind of so - so thus far...

I am really mostly concerned about the warranty..any ideas on that?

I love getting my hands dirty and would def pref. to do this myself anyhow...

I'm fairly sure oil changes are not an issue as far as the warranty goes. Just watch out for that oil filter cap - summbitch is spring-loaded. As always, thread all bolts by hand and don't overtighten.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:33:57 am
Use motorcycle specific oil and take pictures to show that you did it right.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:34:39 am
 Helps if you have a service manual on hand to check everything on the check list and interval table and verify the specs as listed,,,,,,saves a lot of headache.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 06:29:03 am
newC5owner
My dealer said that changing the oil and filter myself would not cause a warranty problem if I kept records of the mileage and oil type and costs.

I just posted some instructions in the TIPS section to let folks know what is involved in doing this job.

The 300 mile service requirements are listed in your owners manual and for the most part they don't require much.
If your dealer is chargeing you $200 he's making a fortune.  Next service, consider doing it yourself.  For less than $200 you can buy all the tools you will ever need and then start paying yourself $200 for each service job you do.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:28:32 am
My dealer quoted around $200 for a service as well, but they do more than just an oil change. Most of the cost is for 2-3 hours of labor, including the oil change, tightening down of every nut and bolt on the bike (as we've seen things like to fly off these bikes occasionally), adjusting and lubing the chain and cables, and in general giving the bike a once over by an experienced mechanic. If you feel comfortable doing all that on your own, then by all means do it. I wouldn't say the dealer is ripping you off though. I did my first service with my dealer and am happy i did, but am slowly trying to learn the process of doing all this myself and will hopefully do most future work personally. But if you don't want to wrench, just ride (which the UCE bikes are great for), a couple hundred bucks every few thousand miles is just protecting your investment in a great machine. And your butt from hitting the pavement when the whole thing shakes itself to pieces  :D

newC5owner

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:42 pm
Yeah...I am just afraid that they won't do that good of a job...they didn't even know whether my toolkit was included etc..at the time of purchase...I feel they only carry Enfield, but really don't care much for them actually...they all ride and sell vespas more than anything...they didn't even have one spare part in stock -- such as a pillion ....

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 03:44:58 pm
some people may not have the space nor the capability to change out the oil ..what ya gonna do. do it on the sidewalk..Now if u think your dealer can't do it...then that's another story..sounds like a place that just sells stuff...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 03:53:06 pm
Go buy the 5 pack of filters off nfield and do it yourself. Its dead easy, and kind of fun. If you still want to support a local dealer, buy the oil there. Save your receipts and write the mileage and date on there when you did the oil change. I also take a cellphone pic or two while its draining for fun. :)

The other benefit is that you can see first hand all the GUNK thats stuck in your primary filter. :) Be sure to post a pic..!

newC5owner

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:04:42 pm
The problems I have:
a) I live in NYC..(Manhattan -- and am not sure what to do with the oil etc...)
b) I want to go riding this weekend  ::)  so ordering the 5 oil change kit will take a while to get here...and I already have 340 miles on my new bike...

Maybe I'll go over there and buy the oil change kit from them...

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:06:27 pm
Ya do that. Or ride upstate and I'll give you a filter and do the oil for $50. :) Ok, ok, I'll do it for beer.

Ps- I think its a NYS law that any location that sells oil has to take back used oil. I usually bring mine to Autopalace.