Author Topic: Looking at making the RE switch  (Read 6058 times)

3miler

• Neophyte
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 05:46:53 am
I have an '09 G5 with a 2010 sidecar on it.

I'm liking everything I'm hearing about it so far, now to convince my wife the we really do need to spend the money on a new 'cycle.  As for the sidecar, I've never used one, never looked at one before.  How are they in terms of affecting the handling, and does the RE one have any storage room?  Or does it pretty much just fit a passenger?

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 04:24:01 pm

Without a wind screen the wind blast at those speeds is also not fun for sustained periods.

Hope this all helps,
Scott

Hey Scotty

How was the ride on your monster without a windscreen. Its not as sit-up-straight like the bullet, but still.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:27 pm
I don't like screens in general, I'd rather have a clean air stream than the chest protection since that always seems to come with noisy turbulence around my head.  I had a fly screen for the Monster for a bit but the gauges provided about the same protection so I ditched it.

The Monster can be a chore around town since there is some weight on your wrists.  From 55-85mph the wind is a great balance and holds you up nicely.  It's mostly blast to your upper chest and shoulders as the tank blocks your stomach.  After 85 you start to feel it but a little tuck and it's not terrible.  I wouldn't travel long dinstances over 80mph but I did several laps at the local track topping out at 110mph on the long straight.  It wasn't comfy but I wasn't getting ripped off the bike either.

For reference, I think 60-65mph on the RE is comfortable, more than 60mph for long distances is annoying, and 80mph+ with a bit of forward lean is doable but not exactly comfy.

Scott

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 07:11:54 pm
I don't like screens in general, I'd rather have a clean air stream than the chest protection since that always seems to come with noisy turbulence around my head.  I had a fly screen for the Monster for a bit but the gauges provided about the same protection so I ditched it.

The Monster can be a chore around town since there is some weight on your wrists.  From 55-85mph the wind is a great balance and holds you up nicely.  It's mostly blast to your upper chest and shoulders as the tank blocks your stomach.  After 85 you start to feel it but a little tuck and it's not terrible.  I wouldn't travel long dinstances over 80mph but I did several laps at the local track topping out at 110mph on the long straight.  It wasn't comfy but I wasn't getting ripped off the bike either.

For reference, I think 60-65mph on the RE is comfortable, more than 60mph for long distances is annoying, and 80mph+ with a bit of forward lean is doable but not exactly comfy.

Scott

I hear you, but the problem with the RE at 65 mph is that it does not have much torque left to cut the wind, unless you are ready to lay on the tank....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:28:12 pm
Yeah, if there's a fair headwind or a steepish hill the RE can have trouble keeping speeds above 55mph.  I was a little surprised by the recent posts prof_stack made from his dyno runs and how fast the torque tapered off in the upper revs.  Now the Monster, no such problems ;)

I'm still loving the RE and glad I moved to something a little more sedate.  One of my friends had a recent Facebook post to all her moto friends entitled 'Please stop crashing' after another one of us went down hard.  I'm glad to remove the hooligan temptation and the RE still does everything I need it to do.

Scott

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 09:09:55 pm
I'm glad to remove the hooligan temptation and the RE still does everything I need it to do.

Scott

....And all with the ease of push the button....and go !