Author Topic: B5 Cafe Racer?  (Read 4119 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
on: May 31, 2011, 01:00:06 am
I gather that the Enfield B5 amounts to the UCE engine in an Iron Barrel frame.  Is that true?

Reason that I ask is that I really lake cafe racers - and not necessarily the "replica road racer" style, but the "home-brew" style that someone would cook up based on their BSA or Triumph back in the day.

I know that one would likely have to retain the stock gas tank, and I'm sure that things like Ace bars would fit, but would things like the rear-sets sold as part of the Cafe Racer kit be a bolt-on on the B5?
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:40:29 pm
Ohhh!  I like where this is going!

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:22:49 pm
I don't believe the rear sets sold through this site fit any of the UCE bikes. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:56 pm
The G5 and C5 have new frames.  Not sure what they did to the B5 frame to make the UCE engine fit but it's basically their oldest style frame.  You may want to send a message to Keving Mahoney and ask if they'll fit.  And if he's not sure if they fit maybe you can try it out with the option to return them if they don't line up.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:43:41 pm
Hitchcock sells  rear-sets and a complete cr-kit for the G5:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/page.php?currentpageref=6110

Imho the B5 is a better basis for a cafe-racer project as she hasn´t got these odd sausage-shaped side boxes, and I don´t think you´ll need much chrome on a racer.
I doubt that these rear sets fit on the B5 though and it´ll probably last at least a couple of month to get a supplier. But if the frame is similar to the iron barrel´s, there will be several options for things like benches, clip-ons or mudguards. Maybe some tinkering is needed then - and don´t forget the power commander, to equal looks and performance.....I shall stopp now spending other people´s money  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:39:37 am
From what I know RE is working on a cafe racer right from the factory. Rumor has it that it might even have a higher displacement engine.....I would wait and watch.  

This bike:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2497

is based off the same frame as the B5.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:43:28 am by GreenRE »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:30:54 pm
 Love the idea !.....Any new addition of a Cafe is a great Idea. I think a Cafe based on a C-5 frame  would be a little more nimble .
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:09 pm
Love the idea !.....Any new addition of a Cafe is a great Idea. I think a Cafe based on a C-5 frame  would be a little more nimble .

Cafe Racer, the show, is working on a C5 based cafe.....I have it scheduled on DVR...

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:44:06 pm
Yeah, I have a subscription to Cafe Racer magazine - took the subscription just to watch the Enfield CR build - and they pretty much have made 0 progress on the build.  I'm getting disappointed.

Can't get the TV show.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:19 pm
I think those magazine guys are clueless, Someday maybe we'll see a proper C5 cafe. I like the idea of it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:17:22 am
From what I know RE is working on a cafe racer right from the factory. Rumor has it that it might even have a higher displacement engine.....I would wait and watch.  

This bike:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2497

That looks almost exactly like Chanderjeets bike.
Those side boxes are going to get in the way of your feet if you use rear-sets, though.  I had to take mine off- wish I had gotten an Electra now...
Run what ya brung

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 05:56:54 am
The latest issue uses a full page to say "we bailed and are letting the professionals handle it". I only wish they had let Ace and Chumma do the engine. We need to know what a fireball UCE will do.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:13:13 pm
Glad I hadn't gotten around to ordering the mag yet.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:17 am

This bike:

The 2012 launch of a factory Cafe Bullet i still being talked about, it seems pretty definite:

http://www.autocarindia.com/news/royal-enfield-thinks-ahead

However the only pics around are this concept mockup from the January 2010 Motor Show were the concept was first proposed...

From what i can see, my B5 is pretty much identical frame and tankwise to the old generic Indian 350 iron bullets so most of the parts in cafe bikes like this one below should still fit ...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Royal-Enfield-/110688069730?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item19c585e862