Author Topic: Whoa, my bike kicks back!  (Read 14791 times)

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:08 pm
Well, finaly got the Power Arc system installed along with a tach. Both were easy installs. My bike now idles very smooth, even at 800rpm. Once I get it started! The bike still requires many kicks 8,10,sometimes 12 kicks before I get it started. One  of the things I do not understand is if while kicking the bike I give it any throttle the bike kicks back so hard it would throw me over the seat if not for that sprag gear taking all the kickback.This was happening even before the Power Arc install ,only now more so.
 Anyone have any ideas ? I would like to resolve this before I remove the E-start and convert to kickstart only.I am concerned that with the sprag gear and starter removed there will be nothing to stop that kickback from launching me over the bike (or breaking my leg)
Also- can The spark plug gap have anything to do with my starting difficulties? I have tried .020, .025, & .030 all with the same results.

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:50 pm
I am concerned that with the sprag gear and starter removed there will be nothing to stop that kickback from launching me over the bike (or breaking my leg)

Don't worry, the sprag will only absorb that a few times and it'll remove itself.

Sounds like it's too advanced. I'd recheck the timing.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:50:02 am
There should be no need to open the throttle when starting the bike.
All that does is remove the necessary vacuum from the manifold, which is required to pull the fuel up out of the starting/idle circuit.

The bike should be tuned so that it starts without your hand on the throttle control. You should never pull-open the throttle while starting.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:52 am
Well Tom,you got that right. & the bike lets me know it too! There are rare times when the bike will start on the 2nd kick if I have the starting ritual down just rite. I havent been able to figure out just what that is. So before chalking it up to just having a tempermental bike I want to be shure the problem is not mechanical, or due to operator error.
( I did have a 79 Bonnie that always started on the 1st kick even at -14F. Unless I did something wrong. Then it would charge me a penalty kick & start on the 3rd kick.)
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:13 am
Most times, kickbacks are early ignition timing, or lean mixture caused by incorrect tuning or often leaky inlet tract.

Also, never be tentative in kicking. When you give it a kick, kick it good and hard, and follow the kicker right thru to the bottom.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:13 pm
 In addition to the above, Are you using your decomp ? When done right, you are not "there" when the engine fires, therefore no hurt.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:57 pm
Are you standing next to the bike and keeping your knee bent in case of kick back?This will prevent a launch.Trying to start on a partly opened throttle on Jolly is a kick back guaranteed.You may never see dependable one kick starting but 3 kicks should do it unless you screw up the ritual.And,yeah, you gotta figger that one out on your own.Jolly likes different things at different temps but will start on one kick everytime I get it right,and always when warm.In warm weather,one priming kick from tdc,shut off choke,set kicker at tdc,willful kick and Jolly will be thumping with a will.Usually.

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:34 pm
yes, I do stand next to the bike while kicking. I was kicking while on the bike till it kicked back once & left me limping for 3 weeks. I use a decompressor button & I slowly push the piston till I hear all the air psssst out then a little more then I stop, rais my foot allowing the kickstart lever to come all the way back then lick all the way thru. Funny thing is there are times that it seems to get just what it wants, fuel wise? or sparkwise? that I can halfheartedly push the kiskstart lever with my foot ( usually after I have kicked it for a while & I am running out of oomph& it will start.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:00 pm
Mine kicks back if I set the idle too high. Its a tricky balancing game. I have to set it high to help start, but too high it kicks back.

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:35:30 pm
well back to the other part of my question. Anyone useing a Pro Arc system? If so what sparkplug gap works for you? I am at .025in now.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:16:36 pm
well back to the other part of my question. Anyone useing a Pro Arc system? If so what sparkplug gap works for you? I am at .025in now.

Yeah, I have a Power Arc ignition system on my bike.  I have my NGK BR8ES plug gapped at .028 (the way they come out of the box), but I have found my starting a little tough these days.  I'm going to try .025 or .026 and see if it makes a difference.

I am also going to double check the wiring for the ignition system (and the ground).  I am wondering if I have a little resistance built up somewhere, because my spark seems like it might not be as strong as it should be with this ignition.  It seems like it was an easier starter when I first installed it.

Eamon
Eamon

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:56:56 am
I've removed all of the e-start stuff from my bike so kick starting is necessary. I' ve installed the CMW electronic system housed in the distributor and the bosch coil. Also have the manual decomp. I open the decomp, and push the kickstart through 2 times to prime the engine. then turn the ignition switch on and get the piston close to TDC. When I follow this ritual, Buzzy starts 1st kick almost every time. Don't open the throttle during kick startinbg.

Also removed the catch can and vent engine to the rear of the bike. Had too many sprag failures to keep using e-start. Follow the starting ritual sent out by CMW and most of these bikes will start 1st kick most every time. If you have the bike timed correctly you should not be getting kickbacks.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 02:03:25 am
Don't worry, the sprag will only absorb that a few times and it'll remove itself.

Sounds like it's too advanced. I'd recheck the timing.
CJ
Yup, the bike kicked back once too often. I think the sprag is locked up. when I kick it the bike  seems like  I am kicking the starter with it. bike is pissin primary fluid. Sheeza no go! Sheeza broke! ( Did I mention this is a new 2008 with less than 800 miles on it!)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 02:08:07 am
Yup, the bike kicked back once too often. I think the sprag is locked up. when I kick it the bike  seems like  I am kicking the starter with it. bike is pissin primary fluid. Sheeza no go! Sheeza broke! ( Did I mention this is a new 2008 with less than 800 miles on it!)

The sprag on the Enfield is 100 % intolerant of any kick back. Sometimes all it takes is once to frag it.

OTOH Enfields are not known as "big kickers" like a goldie or some of the other big singles. The Enfields only have 6 to 1 compression if they are in tune they will almost never kick back much less hurt you if they do.
You got something wrong there, did you try backing off (retarding) the timing a bit ? Is your battery 100 % ?
Electronic ignitions usually don't like any form of low voltage. I don't know about the Power arc ignition but a Boyer will go into full advance if it has a low voltage condition.

Is there any particular reason you installed the Power Arc in the first place ? 
Not that I have anything against electronic ignition but on a quasi stock Enfield I haven't seen anything that an electronic ignition did better than the stock points aside from giving folks the assurance that it has to be better because it cost more.
CJ

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:29:28 am by t120rbullet »
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 02:56:41 am
There are several reasons I went w a Power Arc system aside from the idea that if it costs more ect ect.. That only counts with cigars!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 04:38:05 am
 Stable more precise ignition timing (optically triggered) and a selectable retarded advance curve for lugging hills or hack hauling.

My fave though is the Power Arc will fire all the way down to 5 volts,,,,that adds a lot of range when limping home on the battery compared to other ignitions.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 06:42:46 pm
I have the Power Arc in my '99 and had probs with it backfiring when I first got it back from Vince who did a supposed rebuild on the gearbox and top end.  (It kicked back on Vince when I picked it up...almost died laughing). But found that the cause was a bad battery and bad gas. (Gas was 6 months old...that's how long Vince had my bike) fresh gas and a new battery and no prob.     ;D.   With the spark plug..I actually been runnin a 7 instead of an 8..likes it a lot better. :) ;)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 04:36:30 am
One heat range colder is recommended by Gary at Power Arc.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 04:19:07 pm
One heat range colder is recommended by Gary at Power Arc.

On maybe one of those newer one's BUT on mine an 8 was always fowling and when all one does is basiclly idle around town an 7 has shown almost perfect burn for over 800 miles now. ;D Helps keep the cost of buying cans of seafoam down. ::)
BTW...ICE..did you get that oil gusher from your valve cover fixed yet? :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:38:38 pm by mikail gransee »
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR