Author Topic: About to drink the Kool Aid.  (Read 3692 times)

lumpy

• Neophyte
on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:49 pm
     I am a first time poster but have been lurking about since the last days of the Iron Barrels.So before I take that final GULP I would like to know if there are any RE riders out there who also have owned a Yamaha SR500.I. have own two of these gems in the 80's ...A honest camparo or two will help me get my head around what real world performance level I will have to accept.

Thanks Folks.
Lumpy

Current ride 07 KLR 650  {FUGLY}
Looking at B5's

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:56 pm
I didn't have the 500, but I had an '82 SR250.  I find the performance level of the 2010 C5 to be about the same - almost exactly the same in fact.  

ADD:  The C5 is much more comfortable, though.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:26:32 pm by Andy »
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:18:57 am
     I am a first time poster but have been lurking about since the last days of the Iron Barrels.So before I take that final GULP I would like to know if there are any RE riders out there who also have owned a Yamaha SR500.I. have own two of these gems in the 80's ...A honest camparo or two will help me get my head around what real world performance level I will have to accept.

Thanks Folks.
Lumpy
Welcome to the forum, Lumpy!

I had a '78 SR500, the one with disk brakes front and back.  I sold it in '86 when I got a new Evo Sportster.  Anyway, the Yamaha was better built then than the Enfield is now.  At least that's how I feel after 9 months with the C5. 

Performance?  Both had/have aftermarket exhausts and air filters.  The Yamaha was quicker to 60mph, no contest there.  The UCE motor might have a little less vibrations. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:40:04 am
Hi lumpy and welcome aboard.

To answer your question

I have ridden both but not owned either.
IMHO it's no contest the SR 500 vibrates more than a C5, a lot more.
 SR is harder to kick start than my Iron Barrel too.

Since the UCE engine has the same bore and stroke as the Iron Barre, I assume it will kick over roughly the same, in other words, fairly easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eevhXeXdgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrDoZ5qEdU

Stay safe
Ice
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:45:06 am
greetings lumpy,
Big Al here from BMW of Fresno.
If you called the shop, we may have spoken. I handle most of the RE calls and looking at your location, I've had a couple inquiries from your area.
I too used to have a SR500 and even a B44 Victor and Shooting Star.
Yes, the SR will be quicker than the RE but the RE will vibrate much less. You will have a bit of hands on work with the Enfields, Loctite-ing bolts at first, replacing a few light bulbs, but the fuel injection will be a plus in your altitude, no fiddling with jets. the electric start will be a big plus as well.
As you live some distance from a dealer, (we hope you choose us) the spares kit that comes with the bike, plus the ease of maintenance are more pluses for the RE.
When you need filters or the highly recommended 7" headlight, we ship UPS twice a day an we pay the shipping to our out of town customers.
To end this book I've written, we offer the same "BMW level of service"  to all our customers.
Big Al.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:27 am
Lumpy,

Doubtless you are aware of the Enfield Delay Factor I.E.when people stop to ask questions about the bike,,,,,be prepared  8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:14 am
Yes, the EDF has to be factored into the equation, plan on gas stops taking much much longer as you will be answering questions to the folks that gather around.
An open face helmet helps as well when chatting to people at stoplights.
You also hear "my college roommate used to have one of those"!
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:39:29 am
It also takes much longer to get a berger and fries as I found out today.
Two guys walked a good 40 yards to get over to my bike and ask me about it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:40:31 pm
Hi Lumpy!
The SR500 was my first big motorcycle. I had a 1980 model with 34 hp, and that pretty much describes the difference of max power between the two. The Bullet, on the other hand, offers much more torque and behaves smoother at low revs. I remember well that I always missed that smoothness riding the Yamaha that was practically undrivable below 2500 rpm.
The handling is quite different, too. While the Jap neither was very stable nor especially light-footed, the G5's roadholding is quite fine, considering the mediocre quality of it's components. Even with Avon tires and stock suspension you'll enjoy precise steering as well as good stability up to top speed. I wonder wich improvements can be achieved by fitting decent tires and somewhat better suspension.
Machining is mixed: welding as well as wirering is not so pretty, the paint job and chrome is sufficient. Generally the Bullet is not on a Japanese level, not even close.
Nevertheless it's the better bike, giving you a cultivated motor hooked in a decent frame.
 At the end I should mention that we're talking about a priceworthy adventure, as spare parts Do cost not much, especially if compared with japanese standards.
Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:10:26 pm
i never own a sr500 but i think got to test drive one a year ago...If its the bike I remember I had to set up TDC by using the kickstart to lift the piston while  looking at a little clear window to actually see the piston come up and darken it....It started right up and had good torque and speed but I found the handling completely different from my 06 Iron which I thought had a smoother ride..But then again, this bike was 25-30 years old vice a recently new old enfield..Cool bike and I didn't find it any larger and actuall felt smaller in certain ways and twitchy..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:46 pm
I have owned an SR500 and currently ride a C5. The SR was a rough, nasty he-man bike full of bad attitude. The RE is a sweet riding, great handling bike. Yes, it will have some issues.

I bought mine from BMW Fresno. I have been riding for over 40 years and have not found a better dealer anywhere. Al and the gang are doing everything they can to make the RE ownership experience a great one. That's why I traveled 200 miles to buy from them when there is a dealer 20 miles from my house.

When you decide to accessorize, and you will, Al keeps a nice selection in the store. It will save you weeks of frustration dealing with nfieldgear.com. Mufflers, headlights, seats are all interchangeable. Don't know the details of the B5, but it should be a similar experience.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:42 pm
I had a '80 SR500 which I commuted on daily for a couple of years. It had so little "character" I can't really remember much about it other that occasionally it could be a bear to start, but it always started better than the TT500 I had. It did vibrate more than the Enfield, but it wasn't too uncomfortable although I can remember occasionally my throttle hand would go to sleep. I do remember that it vibrated less than a Yamaha XS650! The handling was OK, but nothing to get excited about. I don't remember what kind of mileage it got, but I would guess it was in the 60s. I could cruise it easily at 75-80, but if it was very warm out it would tend to get pretty hot. I installed an oil cooler it. It was a pretty comfortable ride as far as seating, etc. went. I only put about 17,000 on it so it wasn't a bike that particularly thrilled me. I had BSA thumpers that were a lot more exciting, Gold Star, Victim, and 500MX. The Honda GB500 is a far more memorable bike, too. Actually, I think any of my old thumpers outrated the Yamaha. I wouldn't trade the RE for the Yamaha.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:38 pm
I forget who said this over at ADVrider, but comparing their KLR to an EFI bullet, they said that the KLR was a "rocket-powered magic carpet ride".

I think the general consensus you'll find is that RE owners aren't buying these bikes for the performance.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 11:31:00 pm
if it was very warm out it would tend to get pretty hot.

Yeah, SR250 was the same.  That thing would really get cookin'.  Never seized on me, though.

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 05:06:25 pm
Yeah, I had an SR250, too. I got it for my wife, but I rode it more than she did. We rode a lot two-up on it and it was an admirable performer. But, like all Japanese bikes, they are dependable with good performance and decent handling. Some are superlatively performing machines. But, most of them just don't have that undefinable "character" that REs and some other of the European bikes have. There is just nothing memorable about most of them.
I was considering the new Honda 250 (better mileage, lower insurance rates) to replace the Scrambler, but I have been lusting after a Bullet for the last ten years, so given the opportunity with the new dealers in CA, I figured it was my time to get on the wagon.
A friend of mine in OK had a new 65 a few years ago that he was going to let me have for a very good price, but it had been sitting for a year. It only had 125 or so miles on it, so I looked into shipping it, rather than what would have been my choice, to ride it back at an obviously slow pace. But the fact that I didn't know whether the carb was gummed up and I didn't really like the seat he had on it, or the color, I passed on it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com