Author Topic: How to start a cleanup/fixup?  (Read 3323 times)

gunnerasch

• Scooter
on: May 30, 2011, 12:41:37 pm
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/IndianRoyalEnfield#

Im getting ready to start a cleanup/fixup on this scooter. In Nov of 2008..I got some advise on how to get it running (Thanks!)..then I had heart surgery..and have it under a tarp next to my BMW R90/6, ever since.

So with the economy being in the toilet..and not having much work..now is the time to get this old girl up and running.  First...how does one clean up and polish the covers/engine and metal bits?  Of course Ill pull everything off the frame, bead blast the metal parts and repaint. A good epoxy paint or ?? Red ...or black ? <G> Then start cleaning up the engine, fixing/replacing the oil drain etc etc etc. Lots and lots to do.  The gas tank appears not to be original. How much does a gas tank cost that will look appropriate? The current one is pretty small.  Passenger seat? Head lamp?  Gages and other Stuff?

What does it need to have, where do I get the Stuff (swap and trade is way cool) and how do I clean it up and put it all together?  If anyone has any spare parts..I do have machine tools like lathes and whatnot for trading stock. I repair machine tools in machine shops...so I have lots..and lots..and lots...of Stuff.
Help!!! I may go mad and have the engine anodized in bright orange!!  Stop me! Please!!

<G>
javascript:void(0);
Gunner

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:44:55 pm
Very nice..A great slide show.

I have no real advice to give but will be paying attention as I have a Crusader in about the same shape..

I looked into tearing mine down and getting it powder coated.   I found someone local who seems very good and not that high in price but I just have not had time to do anything.  The joy of these bikes is you can do them how you want.   

I don't know about the tank for that machine.  I have a spare for a 500 single but wonder if the cutouts in the bottom need to be different.

;D.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:48:23 am
The sheet metal that your missing is the stuff that is next to imposable to find.
Might be better off building a bobber/cafe racer out of it.

That tank looks like a 1.2 gal Wassell peanut tank. And the seat looks like a Bates seat. Both will fetch a good price on e-bay.
CJ
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:29:24 am by t120rbullet »
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:41:13 am
My suggestion is spruce it up a bit and ride it for what it is,,,a nice example of a period modded bike.
  You could look for the REstoration bits while enjoying the ride.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:55 am
The sheet metal that your missing is the stuff that is next to imposable to find.
Might be better off building a bobber/cafe racer out of it.

That tank looks like a 1.2 gal Wassell peanut tank. And the seat looks like a Bates seat. Both will fetch a good price on e-bay.
CJ

So what tank should I put on it? And a seat? I understand that this is not going to be a Long Range Bike...but being able to run a hundred miles or so each way in comfort would be nice.

Also..what do I do for headlights, speedo, gauges etc etc? I understand that the original headlamp assembly is over $500 in the rough....cringe..  Should I buy an Indian Headlamp assembly and stick it on? Front fork tube covers?  Mommmmmy!!!

I will probably pull it down to frame level, and have the frame powdercoated. Any idea of the cost?...cringe....

Keeping it $imple is becoming very attractive....so guys..what would YOU do to this old girl?  And how much money should I start tucking away..bigger cringe....

A nicely done rat bike sort of thing might be interesting...but Ive never done this sort of thing before..and Ive owned a crapload of bikes over the years.  All plain jane ....

Help!  MOMMMY!!!!!!!
<G>

Gunner
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:27:39 am by gunnerasch »

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:52 pm
An idea I have had in the back of my mind for a long time is to find an older enfield basket case and then take one of the kits offered by CMW or Hitchcock's and use it to rebuild it.

Another suggestion would be to find an Indian made Bullet parts bike and use pieces from it.  Not sure what the differences in the frame are between the Bullet and a twin but I would think, with some adaptation, you could use the headlamp, speedometer, fenders, tool boxes, etc.

Just some ideas.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:55:36 pm
Check out Hitchcock's, over in the UK. They have a lot of original Enfield parts, and seem to have a pretty steady flow of used parts in and out. Keep an eye out and you might find what you're looking for! They've also reproduced a fair number of parts for the Enfields, including original-pattern mudguards, seats, and petrol tanks.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:19:42 am
I haven't been watching the Indian section of e-pay motors for a while now but I have seen tanks & fenders for the Chief models come and go. A fellow would have to keep an eye on both the Royal Enfield and Indian sections to catch things when they come available. The Royal Enfield Owners Club of North America used to have a newsletter that people advertized spare parts in but it has kind of gotten sidetracked over the last several years. A few RE twin and Indian Sales Corp RE/Indian owners frequent here and the BritBike forum so dont be afraid to post your needs. I don't have any Chief parts in my personal stash. I mostly collect the Trailblazer stuff for the 58 models.

There is a lot to be said about getting one of these old bikes running with whatever you can scrape up on hand. Then you can take your time about finding the original bits & pieces. You won't get burned out on the project that way. The old RE twins are sturdy old turds and a lot of fun to ride in any condition.

Kerby

rivers

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:27:10 am
Very cool project! I agree with ICE get it running good, clean up what ya got and ride a cool period piece while hunting the correct parts. In any case you'll have fun.
'labeled zip lock bags are your friend'

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:46:38 am
 A used Bullet petrol tank may ( or may not) fit,,,Bullet handle bars should be cheap and the instrumentation too. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:54:54 pm
Well the bike "fixup" is going slower than I wanted..but its coming along. I sprayed the frame and swing arm with a good primer..and then after a week, sprayed it with a quality red paint. Real quality..or so I thought. $18 a quart should be good..right? After letting it dry for 5 days, I picked it off the hangers..and the paint felt soft..so taking my thumbnail..I raked the paint right down to the bare metal for 3".  Rustolem Clear Metal Primer and Sherwin Williams Alkyd paint dont seem to be compatible in the slightest, yet the $%#@@ !! at the paint store told me it would work farking GREAT!!  Sigh...so I resandblasted it all off (some places were fine..others..the stuff came off like lint) and sprayed the bare frame and swing arm in Rustoleum Satin Black (what I had on hand). 5 days later..its hard as a dictators heart, wont scratch with a thumbnail..hell..it doesnt show I scratched at it with my thumbnail.  So Its gonna be a black frame. Sigh.

Big question for you laddy boys.... Should I convert this beasty to 12vts..or leave it 6 volts? To convert it to 12, I only need a new coil. This will simplify my lighting issues to a large degree, but is it a Good Thing (tm) or a Bad Thing (tm) to do? This will allow me to use the square regulators etc etc one can buy from Inja, one assumes? Or should I stick on a Zener Diode etc etc etc and fly her with vintage electricals? Lucas..Prince of Darkness.....cringe...

Secondly..anyone have a headlight and housing that is 7"  and gently used, for sale? Id prefer a side mount, at least British looking <G>..Id prefer HONDA to not be showing in big letters...chuckle.

Turdly..Im looking for a good Usable gas tank. The little one on the bike is simply too small.  Ive seen a number of them in the UK for a reasonable price..but when you add in shipping from the UK..or India...gackkk! Way way too much money.

Forterly <G>  anyone got a centerstand for sale? A usable used one cheap would be right up my alley.  The kickstand is not in good shape and I much prefer a centerstand most of the time. Anyone got a proper kickstand? Big nut(s) welded to the frame holds a bent chunk of pipe as a kickstand. It works..mostly..but is a pain in the tush to use..and it tends to go too far forwards..and then the bike falls down.

The bike is Mostly Whitworth..but odd bits here and there are SAE. The previous owner must have been a bit of a cheapskate and stuck in whatever he had on hand.

And the primary chain case gasket..the black "rope" or Really BIG O ring..is pretty darned stiff. What do I replace it with? Im afraid she will piddle oil like a Harley when I fill her back up.

Ive been polishing the engine bits, using a moderately course cup brush on a die grinder, then a finer cup brush, then doing the Blue Magic aluminum polish. While not a mirror finish...doesnt look half bad for a bobber made 54 yrs ago.

Thanks guys. Back to the grind.

Gunner

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 01:30:18 pm
I'd swith to 12volt, It's easy you can get the oring gasket from Hitchcocks.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.