Author Topic: Just a question out of interest in regard to insurance!  (Read 3143 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
on: February 23, 2008, 02:09:21 pm
In regard to fitting a sidecar/owning a sidecar rig does it cost more on insurance?
Reason I ask is I have just re-insured my Honda Firestorm and they had stock questions they ask. "Is it modified. Will you be carrying a pillion" etc etc and one of the other questions was "Will it be used with a sidecar"?
I should have asked at the time, but wondered therefore is it was seen as a positive thing ie. it can't fall over as such so cost would be reduced or as a liability with more people on board perhaps so cost more.
Anyone insured the same bikes ie. Bullets with and without to know what the definitive answer is?
Thanks for reading and hopefully posting your answers!!!!
LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:05:36 pm
I reinsured the bikes this morning and the sidecar made no difference with liability premiums. They consider it as an accessory and with collision there is $1,000 for accessories. Being a well enjoyed '02 outfit I got used for $4,600 a few years back that works for me. Additional coverage is available. This is with Progressive Insurance through AAA. They have roadside assistance with unlimited towing included which is what sold me. My chain broke 2 weeks ago, looked fine when I cleaned it in Dec, and a 6 mile tow cost $101.00, OWCH!  
 Also went from 20/40K coverage to 30/50K and saved $100 a year in premiums as well      Don
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:05:20 am
My Ural sidecar, that cannot easily be removed, as it is 2wd, is also regarded as an accessory by the insurance, I did up the policy to cover it though, as the $1,000 limit was somewhat too low. On the Ural 2wd the sidecar is half the value of the rig.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:24 pm
I can imagine with that two wheel drive it would make the sidecar an expensive part of the package!!! Hardly an 'accessory'  :o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baumgratz

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:24:47 am
I have Progressive insurance on my 06 Bullet Electra.  I believe the collision coverage includes $3000 in accesories.  This would cover my sidecar, so I didn't need to add any extra coverage.