Author Topic: I've looked everywhere  (Read 4869 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 10, 2008, 12:28:16 am
Just can't find what's rattling. Doesn't always happen, just when the vibration starts in the higher RPMs, it sounds like I've got something loose. I've checked, but can't find any loose nuts and bolts. Actually, I've only found two loose items on the bike since I got the it.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:59:09 am
  I had one like that on my Bullet once, about drove me nuts until I figured out the header was a little loose in the head.  It would just rattle at certain frequencies.  I refitted the header along with a big blob of exhaust paste and it stopped.
  I'm assuming here that the header fits the same on your Electra as the Bullet.
Good Luck,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:37:07 pm
Just can't find what's rattling. Doesn't always happen, just when the vibration starts in the higher RPMs, it sounds like I've got something loose. I've checked, but can't find any loose nuts and bolts. Actually, I've only found two loose items on the bike since I got the it.

Check the rear gas tank mounting tabs. If one has fractured its weld the whole tank resonates at certain RPMs.

Mine fractured its weld and did this. No gas leak though!

Matt

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:21:04 pm

Check the rear gas tank mounting tabs. If one has fractured its weld the whole tank resonates at certain RPMs.

Matt

The rear cross bolt on the rear tank mounting tabs was loose on mine.  I could even feel the tank buzz with my knees.  Tightening the bolt cured the problem - don't cinch the bolt down too tight as it may fracture a weld.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:30 pm
At higher rpms, say at the end of a long gear I can hear my pushrods rattling. Its like a natural shift point. Even with them adjusted tight it still occurs. Its kinda like a wind chime sound, could that be your noise?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:36:12 pm
Not the push rods, it's something external. Thanks guys, I'll check the tank mount tonight.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:54:00 am
i've heard something..   resonates in the brain.. happens only at certain rpm's  this is a low milage bike though  661..  I live close to the beast ;)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:16:31 am
Horn mounting bracket picking up the vibes at certain revs?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:31 am
I'll look in the places mentioned.. I do have rubber washers i got from here..  it's one of those hmmm.. I haven't heard this sound b4 :-\

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:36:23 pm
luoma,
  Just remembered these spacers on the bottom.  On the Bullet they get to buzzing around sometimes,  Does the Electra have anything like this?
Leonard

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

deejay

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:09:19 pm

Same thing happened to me when I had the stock silencer. Do you still have that? If so, check the cat converted that is welded into the end of the header pipe (meets the silencer), mine rattled like a s.o.b. at high rpms and drove me nuts until I found it and cut it out.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 10:55:07 pm
I've got aftermarket exhaust. I'll check everything again, maybe get rubber washers.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:35:56 am
When I was working on my clutch tonight, I noticed that the silencer sits up tight against the rear wheel adjuster plate. I'd be willing to bet that when the RPMs go up, that sucker sets up a buzz. I'm going to bend the brackets a little and check it out.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 04:54:17 pm
That'll be close when 'unloaded' but is it still close when you are sat on the bike and compressing the rear springs etc?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin