Author Topic: OIL -- or oil question  (Read 2019 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:32 pm
I did a search and the oil thing is all over the map but as not to beat another horse to death - some speak of "motorcycle oil'

Can't I use the same Mobil 1 synthetic I use in my cars or do they make a specific oil for bikes?
Dr B

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:34:09 pm
Yes, Mobil 1 makes motorcycle specific oils.
These have a higher amount of zinc and phosphorus than regular car oils and some feel this is good for a oil that must lubricate the transmission gears as well as the engine.

They  also do not have some of the "energy saving"  molybdenum compounds which may cause the wet clutch to slip.
I'm not totally convinced this is a problem on a 28 horsepower Enfield but I can see where a 100+ hp bike might have a problem.

Here's  a link to one of the Mobil 1 motorcycle oils.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/oils/mobil_1_v-twin_20w-50.aspx
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:43 pm
+1.

Moto oils do not have the energy conserving compounds in car oil, they do have the other compounds for the tranny that are no longer in car oil in large amounts.  These compounds are no longer allowed in car oil in large concentrations because they contribute to bad emissions.

If you use good quality car oil you'll be fine.  Moto oil, even better.  And I really like Mobil 1 4T full synth moto oil.  From all I've read it's one of the best around.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:48 pm
You be the men !!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Dr B

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:07:39 pm
Here's a slightly related, albeit a bit noobish question. I'm considering switching to full synth when I change the oil next, and given the fact that we know that some oil stays inside the case on a change, is there any concern with mixing the stuff thats in there with a new synthetic oil? Going to try the tip back and forth trick to get as much out as possible, but it sounds like there's always going to be some left.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:22:31 pm
 The EPA's deal with the anti wear compounds is that they may shorten a catalytic converters lifespan to only a couple hundred thousand miles so those compounds have been removed from most oils.

As a rule of thumb post '06 automobile engines have their wear points nitrided or especially hardened against wear.

Where synthetics really shine is in their resistance to breaking down under high heat conditions.

That said I'm using a famous brand of motorcycle specific Dino oil but hey,,,,I'm getting it for two dollars a quart.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:26:57 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:25:52 pm
There's always going to be some oil left in the engine.  Mixing full synth with dino oil technically means you don't get the full extended super long life synthetics are capable of but as a practical matter it's really nothing to worry about.

Ice, thanks for the reasoning behind the EPA ban on those compounds.

Scott