Author Topic: Oil in Airbox fix  (Read 9645 times)

PAndy

• Scooter
on: May 26, 2011, 06:57:48 pm
I notice people have been adjusting the oil level to "fix" the oil squirting into the airbox issue, has anyone tried modifying the crankcase breather system?

I was thinking of putting a small surge container directly on top of the crankcase breather to allow for oil to squirt out and instead of being pushed through the tube by the pressure, it could pool in the container and drain back into the engine.  I will probably put a small stainless perforated plate in the middle to keep the oil from just squirting directly through the container and possibly some stainless mesh or shot on top to provide a torturous path for the oil. 

If it works I think I will get a larger glass fuel filter and modify the innards so that it will look nicer.

Any thoughts?  I drew up a basic diagram in paint.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:50 pm
Many bikes have something similar already, my Ducati Monster had one.  Looking at your drawing I'd like to recommend a small change.  Instead of a screen or perforated barrier, just make something that diverts a direct blow of oil away from the exit tube and to the sides of the container instead.  Gasses will move though but no oil will get pushed directly to the exit point.  Also, offsetting the entry and exit points so they're not in a direct line might help too.

Nice idea, and probably easy to make yourself with some copper plate, pipe, and solder. :)

Scott

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:40 pm
Or you could... you know... put the proper amount of oil in it the first time   :P
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

PAndy

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:27 pm
From everything I've read on here it seems that even if you do put the proper amount of oil in it can still occur under certain circumstances.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:59:40 pm
Fox is right, I've been putting in the proper amount since day one, never had oil in the air box.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PAndy

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:02 pm
So where do you fill your oil to? I've been filling to the upper mark when engine is warm (waiting after 2-3 minutes running)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:18:53 pm
I fill to the bottom line, start and let it run for a few minutes, shut it off and let it set for 10 minutes or so, then fill to between the lines.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:38 pm
Fox is right, I've been putting in the proper amount since day one, never had oil in the air box.

+1.  I do the same dance of underfill, run a little, then top up but I fill all the way up to the mid line on the window.  Never blown any oil out.

There have been reports here of some shop techs filling to the top of window and that causing the machine to spit oil.  I suspect this is because the older bikes spit oil no matter what.  They have a catch can to collect it or a duckbill that vents the excess oil to the drive chain.  I guess on those bikes you just expect to lose oil and to top it off on a regular basis.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:10:04 pm
Well I don't know about bikes but my Z06 corvette and a Porsche 996 both had oil catch cans for aerosol oil blowing back through the throttle body - some bikes have a bypass tube that just spits it on the pavement for the poor buggers running behind you.

Never had anything to do with over or under filling = but - as I said - maybe not the same cause and effect ???

It has to do with oil bypassing and they feed it back through the throttle body to burn in the engine but you are better off - at least in a car to get it the hell out of there - a catch can is neater or let the oil run out somewhere other than into your filter box.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:26:34 pm by drbvac »
Dr B

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:43 am
Pandy, yours is an excellent solution in search of a problem. The only time these bikes puke is when they are overfilled. You might say they are bulimic. Keeping the level visible about half way up the sight glass works. BTW, mine shows the same level at idle as it does 5 minutes after shutdown.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:34 am
This is a little off topic, but would it be ok to not connect it to the airbox, and just use a little crankcase air filter like this? Maybe you'd have to use a bit of tubing in between..

It would look cool! :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 02:42:18 am
Mine has one of those hidden discreetly behind the air box ;D
Iron Butt Association

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 02:57:27 am
This is a little off topic, but would it be ok to not connect it to the airbox, and just use a little crankcase air filter like this? Maybe you'd have to use a bit of tubing in between.
Brilliant! Another thing I don't need but it would look cool 8)
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:01:42 am
Mine has one of those hidden discreetly behind the air box ;D
My CB's Get the same treatment ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 11:38:18 am
When you are discussing the oil filling procedure and levels, is that on centre stand or side stand? Nigel.