Author Topic: needing new tires  (Read 8669 times)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:22 am
  What do you guys run? My front needs replacing due to wear and I'm thinking of tossing the rear out too, since they're both dang near 8 years old and seem pretty hard. The rear seems especially "greasy" in the rain. I was set on getting the k70 dunlop replica cheng shins but then I found the new avon roadriders are available properly sized for rear fitment. Guess i'm just just making sure there isn't a tire I'm missing out on before I make my decision. I mostly ride on the paved road but I do take the odd spin on local gravel roads and some dirt two-tracks to get to hidden fishing spots.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:23:42 am
There are three very good brands Avon, Michelin,and Pirelli. I prefer the Avon's.
I would be leary of a chang sung wong to, or any Chinese tire, Try a blowout, at 60mph on the front, I've survived, but with soiled shorts.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:45:47 pm
Vince had some good suggestions on tires, you might look up his posts.  I don't remember the string, sorry.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:47:38 pm
I'm with Dogbone here. Avons seem well suited to my bikes characteristics so far and seem reasonably priced too.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:53:23 pm
There are three very good brands Avon, Michelin,and Pirelli. I prefer the Avon's.
I would be leary of a chang sung wong to, or any Chinese tire, Try a blowout, at 60mph on the front, I've survived, but with soiled shorts.

Everyone should run what they're comfortable with.  I have used Cheng-Shin (I think that's the brand you were referring to) for many years, on both my scooter and my motorcycles.  I have never experienced a quality problem with any of them.

As for sudden blowouts (the  fear factor), the only one I ever had was with a Dunlop on the front of a Yamaha 650 Special.  Pretty exciting.  But that doesn't mean that Dunlop is anything but an excellent tire.  These things can happen to anyone at any time.

At the same time I say all this, I am not an aggressive rider.  My centerstand will never grind in a corner and both my wheels will be on the ground most of the time.  So because they suit my style and my needs, the less expensive but very road worthy Cheng Shins will be on my bike.

:)
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:59:37 pm
    Check out  campfire talk "quick release rear wheel". I posted 1-5-08. Basically I strongly recommend the Avon Road Rider AM26. Use 90/90-19 front and 100/90-19 rear. This is a fabulous choice. In my opinion you will not find a better for the Enfield.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:43:36 pm
I love my K70 Dunlops. I am riding 3.25 x 19 front and rear. I ride pavement, forest service roads, powerlines and snow and they do very well, thank you. I don't do much two-up, but my lovely wife does join me for a trip to dinner or errands on occasion. (She is petite.)

I suppose if I were doing a lot of two-up, or more heavily burdened riding, I would search out a 3.50 x 19 K70 for the rear. CMW only has the 3.25 x 19 in the K70 . Why? (Kevin are you "listening"? :O)

-Jesse, Happily riding the Olympic Penisula
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Al

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:53:04 pm
 Don't take cheap shots at Cheng Shin tires! I use them and they're great. I purchased front and rear for $60 combined from JC Whitney.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 01:55:51 am
    Check out  campfire talk "quick release rear wheel". I posted 1-5-08. Basically I strongly recommend the Avon Road Rider AM26. Use 90/90-19 front and 100/90-19 rear. This is a fabulous choice. In my opinion you will not find a better for the Enfield.

I second Vince here. I have them on mine and they are a huge improvement. They ride better and the more rounded profile improves turnability. You lose some of the vintage look, but for me it was worth it.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

geoffbaker

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:04 pm
My bike is a 2000; the tires are original on it, with 5000 miles. They've got plenty of tread left, but I'm wondering whether I should replace them just because of their age. They show small cracking all around the sides, but otherwise seem OK. I just wondered if there was a rule of thumb about tires and age...?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:38:22 pm
     You should replace them NOW! Aside from any discussion of profile or tread, that cracking is a sign of rubber compound break down. The chemicals in the compound that make it soft, pliable, and sticky are volatile. They are subject to a phenomenon called out gassing. This happens from heat or age. That is why race cars change tires so often. The heat from usage boils off these chemicals. When not subject to these extremes, these chemicals still evaporate. It just takes longer. Even when the tread depth is ok, these older tires still won't grip the way afresh tire will. Often, the bargain tires people get on sale or from the internet are older tires. These may not have been stored properly.  A hot warehouse will bake these chemicals out of the rubber very quickly. Your tires are talking to you. You should listen.

geoffbaker

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:48:52 pm
OK, Vince, you've talked me into it. Time to go tire shopping...

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 07:21:20 pm
Recently I was talking with a friend who like me shares a passion for stationary engines. He also though goes to some country shows with his 1966 BSA 350. He chides me about getting 'A proper British bike; not this imported rubbish" and I just talk about his inability to ride his bike properly etc.
He did say that he can't corner very fast these day (he's about 68 years old) and I said it was him. He said no, it was just that the tyres didn't seem to grip very well now even though there was loads of tread left as the bike has only done 5,000 miles from new. I asked when he fitted these and then fell about with laughter when he said they were the ones that came with the bike from new!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
I had a look at them and there is no sidewall cracking etc. They are just so hard; they're fossilised!  :o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 08:46:37 pm
     You should replace them NOW! Aside from any discussion of profile or tread, that cracking is a sign of rubber compound break down. The chemicals in the compound that make it soft, pliable, and sticky are volatile. They are subject to a phenomenon called out gassing. This happens from heat or age. That is why race cars change tires so often. The heat from usage boils off these chemicals. When not subject to these extremes, these chemicals still evaporate. It just takes longer. Even when the tread depth is ok, these older tires still won't grip the way afresh tire will. Often, the bargain tires people get on sale or from the internet are older tires. These may not have been stored properly.  A hot warehouse will bake these chemicals out of the rubber very quickly. Your tires are talking to you. You should listen.

Weird, just last week I noticed a lot of cracking on the sidewalls of my tires (the stock ones) and got a new set of tires mounted pronto.  I went with your suggestion of the AM26 Roadriders and I was surprised at how much better they feel!  As to why the stock tires lasted such a short time, who knows?  Maybe they did sit in a warehouse for a long time?  Anyway, it made me realize I should examine the ENTIRE bike more often.  Those sidewalls didn't start cracking overnight - I should have caught it happening sooner.  It would be no fun to get a blow out while riding!

Luckily, I was planning on trying a tire other than the Speedmasters soon anyway.  I don't know how the AM26's will handle forest service roads and the like, but I imagine no worse than the stock tires.  I originally had thought about trying Dunlop K70's for a more vintage look, but I'm sold on the Roadriders.

Eamon
Eamon

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 03:51:23 am
I sure like the Cheng Shins our host sells.  They seem adequately sticky for the pavement, and gravel roads that I use.  If I were racing my bullet, perhaps I would  get a softer race tire, one that is really gooey.