Author Topic: UCE Oil Pump Drive?  (Read 2200 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: May 26, 2011, 06:26:12 am
After studying the exploded parts manual it looks like the oil pump in the UCE is being driven by a normal spur gear on the crankshaft (as it should be) rather than the worm gear system used on some of the older bikes.

Has anyone been inside their engine to see if I am right?

I mention it because the worm gear system used on some RE's has had failures over the years, typically with the driving worm gear eating the teeth off of the driven gear shaft..  This doesn't surprise me greatly .

Anyway, the presence of the worm drive system was a concern to me and if I am correct in saying that the worm system is not used in the new UCE I will be an even happier camper.

Anyone have any information about this?  ???
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:53:04 am
Anecdotaly,,,yes.

I remember reading an article about how proud the RE engineers were of  the new engine and the oil pump in particular.

Scooterbob is the subject matter expert here, hands down.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:48 am
Yes you have the right to be happy. It is the way you want it to be. Its driven by the inlet cam gear.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:36:11 pm
Yes totally new drive system for the oil pump in the UCE and better pressure all around.  There shouldn't be any seizures from lack of oil with the new bikes.  There is a plastic gear in the system I believe, it reduces engine noise considerably.  Though it should last the life of the bike there is one available in the 10k mile service kit sold by CMW,  Just a little insurance I guess.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/10k-mile-lubrication-kit.html

On sale now!

Scot

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:27:42 pm
Yup - Gear drive and it's a GOOD idea, IMHO, to replace the gear at about a 10K mile interval along with the very critical seal at the end of the crankshaft. It takes about 45 minutes to do if you are in no hurry and it ASSURES lubrication in the engine at all times.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:41:02 pm
 I did mine a couple of weeks ago, it's easy breezy.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association