Author Topic: Exploding air filter box and other wonders  (Read 4748 times)

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 12:14:08 pm
Hello pwsaunders,
        I have a 2010 G5 Deluxe UCE. I added an extra hose from the nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner housing and routed it over the lowest point of the drive chain. If there is an overflow, it's directed over the chain. I learned very early not to OVERFILL the crankcase. I keep my oil level half way between the low and high marks on the sight glass. Make sure that when you check your oil level, that the bike itself is on level ground. If it's tilted to the left, you can overfill it.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 04:11:19 pm
According to Chumma the overfill issue is due to the crankcase design holding several ounces when you drain it. If you fill it to the halfway point on the sight glass it will overfill itself the first time you run it. I start with 1.5 quarts and adjust up if needed. I have seen no oil in the aircleaner when it is not overfilled.

The backfire (proper term for intake side) shouldn't happen on an EFI bike. Might need a visit to the dealer. Possible unseen damage from the shipper?

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:17:40 am
I fixed mine with a few self drilling/ tapping screws around the edge of the lid .Dabbed the heads in touch up paint.

Any chance you could put up a pic or two of that?  I'd like to see what it looks like before I go ahead and do the same. 

I'm also toying with another idea to eliminate the lock entirely, but it's a bit more involved.  No details yet until I've thought it through and done the math.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 02:08:02 am
You mean something like this?  :D
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/toolbox-lock-conversion-kit.html

There you go!....That's it. You are good at finding stuff ! ;)  I knew ScooterBob mentioned it  somewhere.  Hitchcocks has them as well.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-accessories

Andy, all I used was three screws ,  The type you would put Flue or duct work together with, through the edge of the lid, into the box, real simple. Your hockey tape is probably a better option....at least it seals it better. ;)  Air gets forced into the box, along with vibration....and that notch where the E clip sits in, snaps.  I'd go for one of the above....or bend one up.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 01:05:47 pm
You mean something like this?  :D
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/toolbox-lock-conversion-kit.html

Fine.

* pouts a little and puts the welder, the drill and the feather duster away....*
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:38 pm
 :D :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association