Author Topic: Exploding air filter box and other wonders  (Read 4737 times)

pwsaunders

• Scooter
on: May 25, 2011, 12:42:05 pm
Hey everyone.  This is my first "real" post.  My others have mainly been to ask component compatibility and the such.

Background, I was in Buffalo NY, but took a contractor job with the USAF in Germany.  I am an AF Vet, and had been stationed at the same base when I was in so I had to jump on the opportunity to come back.

Well, two Monday's ago my 2010 Military showed up in all her glory, and barely hanging on with one strap in the crate the moving company shipped her in.  Luckily no breakage.  She's been running fine, other than a minor issue with too much oil being in.  I put in about 2 quarts, as per the advice of CMW (my manuals are still boxed up in my household goods).  I guess that was a bit too much.  Had the overflow into the air filter box.  Twice now.  I feel that even moderate speeds 60 to 65 on the autobahn make her want to vomit oil.   So I bleed off twice, and am hoping this does the trick. Seems to be something that happens, according to other posts I have read.

The real excitment was yesterday when I started her up after leaving her in the driveway for a few hours.  I thought it just backfired, until I heard the whomp whomp whomp of an open air filter box.  Low and behold as I look down, open door, and shattered lock components on the ground.  Anyone ever heard of a backfire out the air intake??

-Patrick

added:
when i was trying to take the nut off to get the filter out to clean the box, the damn thing with bolt twisted and snapped off the bracket!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:04:38 pm by pwsaunders »

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:21:04 pm
Yes, that's my airbox in the photo...
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:52:06 pm
Technically, a backfire is out the intake. Has been known to blow the entire intake manifold off! Commonly done with too much ignition advance and a flooded cylinder or intake manifold. It's very common in old radial aircraft engines as the bottom cylinders are easily flooded. If it's blowing out the exhaust, the proper term is afterfire, generally caused by a lean condition as the throttle is shut off. The lean condition causes slower burning of the mixture in the cylinder which allows the still burning mixture to go out the exhaust and explode any raw mixture still in the tailpipe. Has been known to blown the entire exhaust assembly off. If you are hearing just a light poppity-pop-pop at idle, it's just the excess fuel burning past the valve from the aforementioned lean idle mixture. Might wanna richen the mixture a bit as this can burn the exhaust valve.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:11:53 pm
The real excitment was yesterday when I started her up after leaving her in the driveway for a few hours.  I thought it just backfired, until I heard the whomp whomp whomp of an open air filter box.  

Backfires are not uncommon with the carb models if the mixture or timing is off -  particularly with points ignition.  I've blown the carb off on my iron-lung a time or two...

If your UCE is doing it - something is wrong IMHO.  EFI and electronic ignition and auto-decompressor should make sure it doesn't happen.

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:20:31 pm
I get a few good ripe bangs out of the exhaust since I fitted the Goldie, but nothing out of the airbox. Wants looking at methinks.....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:12 pm
I own a 2009 C5, in two years, two broken lock,
due to return air, clean the spark plug often
c5 2009 italy

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:17:51 pm
 I think it is just the lock assembly , where the flat catch attaches to the back of the lock assembly. It's attached to some week pot metal and it just snaps, vibration? change in air pressure in the box?  Mine blew off on the Highway. Make sure all the parts are accounted for, and nothing got sucked in. I fixed mine with a few self drilling/ tapping screws around the edge of the lid.Dabbed the heads in touch up paint.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:09 pm
I wonder if the airbox retorfit would help to keep this from happening.  Now you guys have me scared that pieces are just going to blow right off the bike while I'm riding. ;)

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:06:55 pm
exploding enfield..love it....u guys are nuts.. ::)
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:42:48 pm
'09 C5,10257 miles, never seen anything like that.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:53:02 pm
 I'm pretty sure ScooterBob posted an improved latch he found....Not long ago.
The new latch and r80rt's.....sorry Shapper's air pod upgrade ;) Might be the way to go.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:31:32 pm
Actually, having an opening where the lock used to be might be a good way to get more air in the box.  Use black tape to seal the box lid (this works best on superior colored C5's.   :D)

Or just yank out the whole box and use Shapper's (or is it modest r80rt?) mod with a large cone air filter.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:58 pm
I'd love to take credit for that mod it's a good one, but my Ma would slap me upside the head for lying :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:17 am
@pwsaunders- Whats your odo mileage and when was your last service done. Is your bike manufactured june  or after 2010?

pwsaunders

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 09:19:11 am
Just rolled over 1000 miles this week.  Bought it in Sept 2010, so I'm guessing it's manufacture date is prior to June 2010.  Had last service in November, around the 600 mile mark.  Put it in storage for the winter and prepped it for shipping that occured in April.  Just got her going. 

@Prof, the lock is still there, just the tang that engaged the little nub to secure the lock blew off when the door popped.

@Ducati,  the air box mod is on it's way.

another question, could engine oil residue fumes ignite?  I'm still figuring all the "what ifs" to see what could have happened....  she's running fine post blast though.

how many folks have redirected the oil overflow line?