Author Topic: Duck bill breather  (Read 8693 times)

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
on: February 22, 2008, 02:08:08 am
To those of you who have simply routed your crankcase vent out to the chain via duck bill...how much oil do you lose?  Does it make a lot of mess? Thanx

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:06:03 am
only on the back wheel. It will never rust!!

- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:52:46 am
I have not done this mod 'just-in-case' an amount of oil deposited one day ends up on the rear tyre. Oil and rear tyres don't mix and when they do it can sure lead to a lot of mess!!!!!! :o

Before I get flamed, this mod works for some I'm sure so I'm just giving my opinion of why I haven't done it yet. I did buy the long duck bill tube to do just this but found that by modifying the std catch tank I was able to:- a) contain the 'waste' breather oil so no mess and b) monitor what the engine was pumping out over a set time/useage etc. So far so good I have to say.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:16:08 pm
It's great, it does not spew out oil, it is more like a vapour, and the fuggly oil catch can can be eliminated.  It also wheezes when the engine shuts off, similar to a Caterpillar fart.  ;D I have never encountered any dripping, but the rim does collect some residue.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:49:12 pm
nothing big, maybe just a little fog accumulation on the rim after a while, but it's hard to tell. No drip. Not really messy, no perceptable oil loss.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18:28 pm
The amount of oil I go through seems to be determined more by the average speed on my trip than anything else. Higher speeds means more oil loss. I guess this makes sense as higher speeds = higher RPM's = high crank case pressure.

You will need to clean off your back rim more often as it gets covered with a fine film of oil and dust. It doesn't seem to get any oil on the tire though.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:02:01 am
I have a very small amount of oil showing on the chain, and a smear on the frame.   I have a minute amount of film on the rear wheel.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:07:42 pm
Thank you all for the responses. I think that I may go for it.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:04:07 am
I have not seen a 'duck bill'.  Can someone tell me what exactly it does? 

My memory is going back to the day when a motorcycle engine was simply vented to atmosphere.  Some got clever and extended the breather hose to a fitting on their chain guard so the fumes and whatever would lube the chain. 

This all sounds like the same sort of thing but with a 'Duck Bill'.  That's why I'm asking.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:19:44 am
FG52
Can you imgine a piece of black rubber hose with an i/d of about 3/8" that is cut then flattened on the end like if you were to pinch the piece between your thumb and forefinger and squash the ends together? Well these 'duck bill' breather pipes  (so called 'cos that's what the flattened ends look like) are just like that, only moulded that way to start with. Basically, they can vent one way but close back up again and act as a sort of crude one-way valve.
Hope that helps.
LSM

Ducati 916 'L' twin

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:24:39 am

My memory is going back to the day when a motorcycle engine was simply vented to atmosphere.  Some got clever and extended the breather hose to a fitting on their chain guard so the fumes and whatever would lube the chain. 

This all sounds like the same sort of thing but with a 'Duck Bill'.  That's why I'm asking.

Here is almost all of mine. It comes out just below the cylinder and goes about 10" back and dumps out right over the chain.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:16 pm
Thanks guys.  That pretty much verifies what I thought

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:39:22 pm
Duckbill Breather Hose:
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/duckbill-breather-hose-p-40.html

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:22 pm
Leonard.
Thanks for that link as I did not know there was a difference between the breather sizes on the kick start bikes and the ES ones!!!!  ::)
LSM

Ducati 916 'L' twin

LJRead

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:39 am

Some of you know that I've been on a simplification kick ever since my bike showed up from India sort of lacking in some of the niceties (to put it politely).  I got rid of my catch can first thing.  The reason I did that is I knew I would forget to empty it and then oil would get sucked into the air filter.  (I have a small yacht and got rid of the centerboard because, at the wrong moments, I found I had forgotten to put it either up or down - now I have a small keel which just sits there  :)).  Anyway, I took a nice piece of PVC flexible water hose and took the duckbill valve out of the catch can, adding it to the end of the PVC tubing with a short length of copper pipe.  Now it ends right where the curved fender strut ends.  It will just set there doing its job indefinitely.  I made sure there were no low spots in the tubing which could collect the oil residue. Ah the joys of simplicity!

Who said I'm long winded?  Grrrr!

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 07:39:51 pm
Good approach, LJRead.  Just rearrange the parts you already have to get the results you want.  I really like that.

:)

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 04:55:16 pm
Hi!
When I bought my Bullet last fall, it just had a piece of hose running over to the chain.  I left puddles of oil everywhere I parked and the chrome wheel was almost black with oil, wheel, tire, fender covered.  I got that kit to recirculate the oil back into the crankcase and it works great.  Now I can keep everything clean and the oil where it belongs.
Of course, right now its 26 degrees F and I'm indoors. yuck.
-Matthew
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42