Author Topic: Strange place for a lock?  (Read 2914 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: May 23, 2011, 04:28:04 am
When I picked up my new G5 the dealer opened each of the locked compartments with the key and explained what was in there.

At the time I thought, how weird.  A lock for the air filter box?  OK.....

Anyway, I wanted to look inside the air filter box today and lo!  The key absolutely refuses to turn.  It's like it is the wrong key but I know I watched the dealer open it.

The key works all of the other locks just fine so I have to ask, is there some seceret thing I need to say or chant while trying to unlock the lock?

I can't tell you what all the words and phrases I've tried are but they didn't seem to work for me.

Any advice besides take it back to the dealer?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:12 am
Those locks can be a pain in the ass. Try pushing in on the lock while turning the key. The latch can bind from the outward force of the side cover and pushing in on the bottom of the cover will help relieve the binding.

After removing the side cover, I've also had the latch bar on the lock bend in towards the side cover preventing it from re-locking and had to bend it out to get it to lock again.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:44:20 am
That particular lock is the worst part of the whole bike.  Mine snapped while riding during my first season.  Weak metal plus vibration plus air pressure inside the box makes bad lock juju.

I was visiting one dealer the other day who was putting some sort of silicon compound onto the locks on the bikes in his inventory, so that if (when) they break, the pieces will remain attached and not end up inside the engine.  Simple but elegant preventative fix. 

Although that lock is tight and a monumental pain in the butt, resist the temptation to loosen it.  The tighter it is, the longer it will last. 

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:18:14 pm
That particular lock is the worst part of the whole bike.  Mine snapped while riding during my first season.  Weak metal plus vibration plus air pressure inside the box makes bad lock juju.

I was visiting one dealer the other day who was putting some sort of silicon compound onto the locks on the bikes in his inventory, so that if (when) they break, the pieces will remain attached and not end up inside the engine.  Simple but elegant preventative fix.  

Although that lock is tight and a monumental pain in the butt, resist the temptation to loosen it.  The tighter it is, the longer it will last.  

Arizoni has a G5 not a C5. The locks are probably similar in quality, but the airbox set-up is totally different. On the G5, the side cover is separate from a sealed plastic airbox that has a screw on cover.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:28:14 pm by Chris-G5 »

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:55:31 pm
Oh!

Never mind!   :D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:55:15 pm
Arizoni:

The locks on RE battery cover, filter cover, tool box are hard the first time you try to open them. The reason is that the latches are not aligned.

It may need pushing the cover in or up, to right or left while turning the key.  Once you open them, do not put them back because the next time it will be problem again.  Just look at the latch on the lock or on the frame and bend them so that they are aligned to fit right when closed. Do not be afraid to twist these parts - gently !

I know you are experienced mechanically so you will sort it out quickly.  After initial cursing, all locks on my G5 now open & close without a hitch, in one go.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:58:40 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:17:16 pm
FYI dont force the battery lock.. make sure its aligned and turn. I hear they like to break.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:36 pm
FYI dont force the battery lock.. make sure its aligned and turn. I hear they like to break.

They like to fall out too!  ::)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:00 am
Thanks all.
Nothing worked. 
Even pushing and pressing and shoving the cover resulted in the lock  acting just like it would if the wrong key is being used.
The part of the lock that is supposed to turn moves exactly zero in either direction so, tomorrow I'll take it back to the dealer to see what he says about it.

These little trips are OK right now because I'm trying to ride the bike as much as possible.  After it's broken in I might not be so happy about taking it to the dealer all the time.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:26 am
First off we take great pride in having more locks per bike than any other motorcycle in the world....bar none. Why I don't know. I guess in India if it ain't locked it's gone.

The locks can be tricky and do take some care. Also check any of the rubber grommets that might be involved. a bit of silicone grease helps a lot. It is a good idea to put a dab of silicone on the c-clip on the inside of the locks  - all of them
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:08 pm
I guess I should have tried harder.  :-[

I went to the dealer and in 5 seconds he had unlocked the lock and removed the cover.

Following his demonstration I tried it and wallah,  the cover was removed.

For you new owners of the G5 here is the trick to getting your air filter box lid unlocked.

1. With the key in the lock, place your thumb right under it on the cover.
2. Push in hard and you should see the cover move slightly inward.
3. Turn the key counterclockwise.

There is a rubber spacer on the body of the lock located between the cover and the frames metal tab.  This spacer must be compressed before the lock's catch can turn so pushing on the cover below the lock will free things up.

Thanks to all of you for your help and, if he is reading this, thanks to my dealer for teaching me how to do this.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:47 pm
you could have tried rubbing it with oil and saying  "abra kadraba open seseme" ... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again