Author Topic: Face, meet pavement (a G5 crash report)  (Read 4847 times)

Fox

• Bulleteer
on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:54 pm
Had my first RE faceplant on Friday. I took the day off of work to get my bike looked at for a couple of far more trivial issues (as detailed in my previous bitching and moaning thread).

On some wet pavement, I needed to stop short and broke traction of the front tire. I am well aware that front brake in low-traction situations are a huge no-no, but I did not have time to take stock in my situation before reacting. My other bike has crap brakes, huge wheels,  and grippy tires that allow me to get away with this, so my muscle memory did not account for the gigantic front brake and inferior traction of the speedmaster on wet pavement.

I came down on the right side. The first things to touch were the edge of the tailpipe, the foot peg and rear brake pedal, followed shortly after by the front fender, and then the mirror, bar end, headlight housing and my hand, as the mirror fell off. Take heed - deerskin gloves will not suffice. My gloves had solid plastic armor on the knuckles, and this was ground down. When I came to rest, the bike rested on my leg and my fingers were pinned underneath the bar. I had to use my left hand to hit the killswitch, then get my hand out from beneath the handlebar. I'm not exactly sure how I got out from under and righted it so quickly, but the adrenaline was probably intense enough.

I'm glad I was fully geared up. My shoulder took most of the impact, and wore the jacket through to the armor. It still hurts after a couple of days, but I don't think I broke anything. My thigh and hip are technicolor, but don't particularly hurt. Aside from a sore neck and a little cut on my middle finger from where the glove wore through, I'm alright.

The bike is a little worse for wear. The peg bent backwards, and the brake pedal bent upwards against the pipe. The tailpipe, mirror stalk, bar end, headlight housing edge (not the nacelle), brake fluid reservoir, brake pedal, and edge of the fender are rashed. I expected the turn signals and tank to be trashed, but this was not the case - There's the slightest scratch on the rear right turn signal, and a tiny little dimple in the tank where a piece of switchgear made contact.

The service manager at the dealership was disagreeable and unfriendly, and stopped just short of accusing me of lying about how the heatshield came off - he said he couldn't imagine how, given the four mounting points and a "hook", it could have just fallen off. At first he claimed that it was riveted on, then corrected himself and said that they were threaded allen-head bolts (which they are).  Then basically said that it was "suspicious" that both the heatshield and that little plastic cover are both on the right side, and remarked that it's extremely unlikely that either will be covered under warranty. I guess my bleeding hand wasn't enough to convince him that the crash took place earlier that same day. Looks like I'm going to get the shaft here. Also, the parts and accessories I requested under their promotion are "backordered" even though they show in-stock on nfieldgear, and have been since March, when I requested them. Three and a half hours later, I left with none of my issues resolved - speedometer cable, pilot light, and turn signal ordered, and I must come back in to have these all installed.

I'm kind of bummed, but then again, I'm not in the hospital either. As much as I enjoy riding it, I don't think I will be taking the G5 out as much once I get the KLR squared away. It is just way too much of a headache to keep this thing looking as good as it runs.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:40 pm
Sorry to hear about your misfortune brother. I am glad your otherwise o.k.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:58 am
Fox, sorry to hear about your get-off.  If you can, get to a doctor and get checked out good.  Otherwise, something might awaken later and bite you really good.

Insurance should take care of most all of the broken bits, right? 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:11 am
I've got insurance- medical for myself, and comprehensive for the bike. However, both have a 500 dollar deductible.

I see sandpaper, touch up paint, and a vice in my near future.

As for me, after two days, my shoulder pops / hurts slightly when I reach across my abdomen, or try to rest my weight on it. I'm thinking my rotator cuff is inflammed still. I will give it some time, and if it doesn't get better I'll see someone about it.

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:05 am
Lucky you put it down and slid a bit rather than hitting something - Glad you didnt break anything!!

I can't follow the heat sheild part of the discussion - did that come off in the slide or is that what you were on your way to the dealer about?  ???
Dr B

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:09 am
Lucky you put it down and slid a bit rather than hitting something - Glad you didnt break anything!!

Haha, I think you're giving me way more credit than I deserve here... I simply didn't leave enough following distance to make stopping a possibility given the road conditions. The moment I squeezed that brake, the decision was made for me by the limitations of physics.

I can't follow the heat sheild part of the discussion - did that come off in the slide or is that what you were on your way to the dealer about?  ???

It came off about a month ago on the highway, about halfway through a nonstop 200 mile trip. That, along with a few other relatively minor issues, was the reason I was on the road that morning.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:27:55 am
As long as you are OK, the rest is just stuff. It can all be repaired or replaced. Have that shoulder checked, I landed on my right shoulder hard 30 years ago and it still gives me trouble.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:35:39 am
Glad that you came out basically alright, Fox. I agree with r80rt on the shoulder tho. I thought I had a small injury to my shoulder once, yanked my rotator cuff while pulling a part out of a press that had a habit of not letting go. Decided to tough it out and it seemed to get better. But after that I developed a "trick shoulder" that would get thrown out often, say like having a snow ball fight with the neighborhood kids and it kept taking less and less to aggravate it. The last time I threw it out, I was simply swimming laps in a friends pool. The damn thing locked up and I couldn't raise my arm on the horizontal anymore. Finally decided to get it checked out and found out that I had almost no rotator cuff left. Got the surgery and now its allot better, but the surgeon said that if I had started physical therapy after the first tear, more than likely never would have gotten so bad. So, complete shoulder rebuild at age 36, or physical therapy for a year at age 27? Well, you know, hindsight and all.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:59:43 am
The bike is a little worse for wear. The peg bent backwards, and the brake pedal bent upwards against the pipe. The tailpipe, mirror stalk, bar end, headlight housing edge (not the nacelle), brake fluid reservoir, brake pedal, and edge of the fender are rashed. I expected the turn signals and tank to be trashed, but this was not the case - There's the slightest scratch on the rear right turn signal, and a tiny little dimple in the tank where a piece of switchgear made contact.

Glad you're okay!

I also had a low-speed low-side incident last year and got off even lighter than you.  My total damage bill came in at thirty bucks for a new set of mirrors. 

The right footpeg and foot brake lever took the whole force of the impact.  Tank, tailpipe and trafficators were unscathed.

I used a six foot piece of pipe to bend the footpeg back into something resembling straight, re-adjusted the brake pedal as much as I could, sanded out the gouges on the bar end and handlebar lever, slapped on a new set of mirrors and I was good to go.  There's still one small scratch on the very  tip of the front fender as evidence of my crime, but I'm planning a makeover for the bike in a few years, and it's barely noticeable, so I'm not worried about it. 

My friend's Katana, involved in the same incident, suffered $1,300 in damage. 

They take it well!  But keep the rubber side down anyways.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:35:43 am
FOX I am quite surprised you had to use the engine kill switch, because these bikes have roll over sensors, which cut off the engine in situation like these. At least mine did when I took a fall saving a foolish pedestrian  :D I am glad you are fine. It will take a few days before you will be perfect. Also hope this was the last time you dropped your G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:42 am
Sorry to hear of your meeting with the road Fox. Terrifying!  Very glad to hear you got away without an ambulance ride! Get that shoulder looked at - impacts like that can cause a lot of strife twenty years down the line!
You can refer the service guy at the dealership to this forum, where he'll find more than one report of the heatshield, and other parts, flying off the bike never to be seen again! And yes, the heatshield is covered under the warranty!
I've said it before, but I'd advice anyone with a G5 to get those bloody awful Speedmasters OFF the bike as soon as possible. That front tyre has a nasty tendency to track along the slightest imperfection in road surface, and is absolutely lethal on white lines - wet or dry. Fit a pair of AM26 RoadRiders, as fitted to the C5 - you will be astonished at the difference in handling & grip.
Hope you can get the bike back to something like it. But bottom line - you're still with us bro - shaken not mashed..... ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:42:59 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:41 pm
As for me, after two days, my shoulder pops / hurts slightly when I reach across my abdomen, or try to rest my weight on it. I'm thinking my rotator cuff is inflammed still. I will give it some time, and if it doesn't get better I'll see someone about it.

Fox, do what you want with the bike but please get yourself checked over.  It sounds like you took a good hit to the shoulder, don't wait until later to find out the damage.

Scott

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:42 pm
Thanks for the advice.

After some reading I think it's an AC joint separation - I have little to no pain lifting my arm over my head in most cases (which would indicate rotator cuff tearing) but certain motions cause a painful click / twinge, especially reaching down to pull on socks, reaching up and to the left, etc. Range of motion doesn't seem to be otherwise affected.

If this is the case, it is unlikely that I have an actual tear or fracture, as there is usually a raised bump to go along with it, and I just have puffiness. Still, I am not a doctor, so I'll go easy on it for a couple of weeks, and if I'm not 100% at that point, I will go and get checked out. Being young-ish, I am characteristically fearless in most situations, but the doctor's office is not one of them. I haven't been there in years.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:24:50 am
It's your body buddy, but I will repeat. I toughed it out at 27. Seemed OK for awhile then progressively got worse. Got a rebuild on that shoulder last September at age 36. I wish I had paid more attention to it when it happened, would have been a hell-of-allot cheaper, less painful.

If you got insurance than you should definitely have it checked out.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:45 am

If you got insurance than you should definitely have it checked out.

Along those lines, do it this year and not next as your insurance is probably gonna cover less next year...   Just another unhappy thing to consider...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *