Author Topic: Riding in the Rain  (Read 3848 times)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
on: May 19, 2011, 05:08:36 pm
I spent several hours riding in the rain yesterday.  My rain overgloves (see photo) failed and my hands got wet and cold.  I was wondering what others do to keep their hands dry while riding in the rain?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:57:04 am by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:20:28 pm
I have worn a pair of "wet" gloves. They are made for work in wet environments.

The problem with them is they do soak up water. Your body heat then (in theory) keeps the moister (water) warm. Your hands still get wet.

As with any glove,you are just buying time, till you can get out of the elements later.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:28 pm
Wear a pair of surgical gloves under your riding gloves.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05:05 pm
Take off clothes.
Place in plastic bag.
Place plastic bag in backpack.
Ride naked.

You'll be amazed at how dry your clothes are when you are sitting in the jail cell.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:42 pm
Take off clothes.
Place in plastic bag.
Place plastic bag in backpack.
Ride naked

Not a good suggestion...especially for this crowd.. :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:27 pm
I rode in the rain.Once.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:52:59 pm
I've ridden in the rain many times out of necessity, not desire.

This was usually without any rain gear on and after realizing that I could only get so wet and I probably wouldn't dissolve it was tolerable.

Well, there was that time up in Utah when the rain turned to hale and I was on a main highway without any turnoffs to stop at.  Even with a heavy leather coat those hale-stones really hurt.

The thing I like least about riding in the rain is having to hit the front brake hard to avoid an accident.  With one exception, every time I dropped a motorcycle it was due to locking up the front wheel in the rain while trying to avoid some idiot driving a car.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:56:25 pm
I commute 180 km every day.  It's been raining all week.  My brand new, overpriced, Teknic "100% waterproof" gloves failed the first day.

My next two tests will be the surgical glove as an inner idea (others have suggested it and say it works), and the Playtex disposable dish glove as an outer shell.

After that I'm going to try those super huge thick rubber gloves you see at battery change stations in factories and warehouses.   8)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:04:48 am
go as fast as you can and the water will evaporate or zig zag back and forth and dodge the rain drops.. or get some goretex gloves which will eventually leak.. I have ridden many time in the rain over my riding career of 45 + years.. now I'm a wimp.. it rains I take the truck, that way I don't have to clean the bike..

However.. there is something pleasant to say about riding in the rain... unless the temperature is 33 or 4

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:30:26 am
it doesn't take a hell of alot to get soaked to the skin in a rain squall...try 5 minutes in a down pour..

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:36:52 am
I spent several hours riding in the rain yesterday.  My rain overgloves (see photo) failed and my hands got wet and cold.  I was wondering what others do to keep their hands dry while riding in the rain?

@Leonard:

I have Quadboss mitts for the handlebar that are absolutely fantastic for riding in the winter.  Though I have not tried them in the rain, but they are made of water-resistant material. That may not be as good as a real rain-proof gloves but they can offer a second layer of protection.  With handlebar mitts over the gloves, and gloves covering the hands, there is very good chance that hands will not be as cold or as wet.

PS - If that does not work, coat the top surface of mitts with ACF50 - the rain drops will just roll off the impenetrable coating  ;D !

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:58:26 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:44 am
@Leonard:

PS - If that does not work, coat the top surface of mitts with ACF50 - the rain drops will just roll off the impenetrable coating  ;D !

Now that's something I'd never thought of.  I might try that before the big rubber gloves.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 05:42:21 am
Now that's something I'd never thought of.  I might try that before the big rubber gloves.

I am sure you know that ACF50 makes the surface slippery - just be careful that it is not applied to the palm side of glove.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:34:37 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:32 am
Last Century, as a Motorcycle Patrol Officer, I had to ride in the rain, some years it never seemed to stop raining.  ::) I will tell you without a doubt. Most "Rain Gear" might keep the rain off of you, but the sweat that condenses inside the "Gear" is worse.  :P   For my rides to and from the station garage I would wear a "HondaLine touring Suit".   8) With a generous application and reapplication of "ScotchGuard" the suit was quite comfortable, breathable,(no sweat condensation) and warm. I wore two of the suits out completely. In 1973 they cost about a hundred bucks. I would give five hundred for one of those suits if I could find one now.  ;D
Bob
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 09:41:54 am
What about gore-tex? My experience with my boots are very good. They´re 5 years old now and still dry, even in heavy rain. Still looking for good gloves, though.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07:00 pm
On by road trips I carry a can of acrylic funiture polish (Pledge brand is my favorite) It cleans the winshield (for those who have them) reduces the flare from lights caused by scratches in windshield and faceshield, allows the rain to roll off said plastic, and is A PASSABLE WATER PROOF COMPOUND FOR BOOTS AND GLOVES.

It is also great for a quick polish up of the bike if it gets dusty.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 05:31:37 pm
On by road trips I carry a can of acrylic funiture polish (Pledge brand is my favorite) It cleans the winshield (for those who have them) reduces the flare from lights caused by scratches in windshield and faceshield, allows the rain to roll off said plastic, and is A PASSABLE WATER PROOF COMPOUND FOR BOOTS AND GLOVES.

It is interesting that you found acrylic furniture polish to water-proof gloves and boots from rain. Here is another method on youtube that uses silicone rubber caulk coating on gloves and boots to do the same -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apA3cg-Gfzs

Also found a UK company Sealskinz that sells duty range gear for outdoor activities including motorcycle gloves that are supposed to be 100% water proof. They test their products by submerging in water or under high pressure. 

http://www.sealskinz.com/duty-range

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:36:41 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 05:49:59 am
Always a fan of Aerostich products I use their 3 finger overmits on top of my normal riding gloves. They are bright orange making them easy to find in the saddlebag. I have had less success with their boot covers.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-rain-covers.html#

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 12:36:56 pm
I did an hour long rain ride the other day, although soaked to the core I was able convice myself that it was a good thing. I kept repeating to myself that it was a chance to get home from the middle of no-where and do my laundry at the same time.  Surgical gloves will keep the wetness from coming IN but do not stop your own moisture from getting OUT. I have to wear them for work related tasks (mortician) and have tried various methods of controlling hand sweat. If one needs to wear surgical gloves for an extended period of time, a dusting of corn starch in them helps for a while. Too much corn starch or too long wearing the gloves will leave one with a hand full of mushy goo that isnt too pleasant. Also trying to wrestle on a pair of gloves is a pain if your hands are moist already from rain or sweat.  The dishwasher's glove idea is better, but there is the cuff sealing that becomes a problem.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:27:15 pm
i just used a pair of surgical style gloves when i use black shoe polish for the boots and my shoes...after 20 min of applying and rubbing...my hand and fingers looked like i had been in the pool for half a day...its not a pleasent sensation when u peel of those gloves....mortician you say: bet you stay busy...i wouldn't think you all that affected by the economy except people may be opting for the inexpensive burial scenarios...have a good day and getting soaked on a bike is a rite of passage...

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 04:57:37 pm
Even the in inexpensive services I provide, I still need to wear gloves. With riding in the rain, I couldnt go without wearing some kind of gloves. The 65mph rain drops hurt.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 07:13:39 pm
...getting soaked on a bike is a rite of passage...

Sure, but who wants to be a signature member of THAT club?   ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:32:49 am
oiled cotton.. ala Barbour or Belstaff..  dry rider

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:58:32 am
 Kakadu traders nelson jacket and out back pants,,,gloves are army issue D-3A black leather gloves treated regularly with mink oil.

My commute is 45 minutes each way.

Fall/winter/spring riding conditions in the Pacific N.W. range from wet, wet and cold, wet and miserable to freezing.  There are nice days to be had between late spring and early fall.

Still haven't found a way to completely fog proof goggles and face shields.
No matter where you go, there, you are.