Author Topic: My Bike's Coming Home......  (Read 13425 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:53 am
although now I have a Jap bike too I realise the build quality and finish of the RE is absolute shite by comparison

and u guys have the newer bikes..............

This is a truly honest post, I am busy with other commitments at the moment to justify getting a C5, but the more I read the more I tend to consider another brand of machine.
Be honest guys, we all know RE, as my teacher used to put on my school report 'COULD DO BETTER'.
Did I not read someone on these forums,or was it on Aussieenfields, about an engine 'blow-up' within 3500 miles? Its not as if the Enfield is cheap, is it now? Safe riding guys, well at least when you're NOT spannering!
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 11:28:20 am

This is a truly honest post, I am busy with other commitments at the moment to justify getting a C5, but the more I read the more I tend to consider another brand of machine.
Be honest guys, we all know RE, as my teacher used to put on my school report 'COULD DO BETTER'.
Did I not read someone on these forums,or was it on Aussieenfields, about an engine 'blow-up' within 3500 miles? Its not as if the Enfield is cheap, is it now? Safe riding guys, well at least when you're NOT spannering!
Well, well, japanese quality...
RE is an Indian bike, that is made in a very different way than in Japan or Germany. It´s welded and painted by hand and that´s what it looks like. You should take that into acount if you plan to get one.
On the other hand you are not getting a vehicle, blessed with eternal life, from the Far East for the same summ as a RE. Especially when the price of spare parts is taken into account, the japanese equivalent to a Bullet is growing quite tiny.
Although the built quality is sometimes mixed, the durability of a new Bullet is surprisingly good. The engine in particular seems to be very tough, regardless how hard you push it. These sprag clutch problems are fortunately rare events.
The biggest weakness, however, seems to be the electrical system. To keep a fuel injected engine running you need to have dependable flow of power, which is sometimes hindered in the Bullet´s case by scraped wires, loose connectors and  britteled rubber insulations. It´s inevitable to have an eye on all this on a regular basis.
In addittion to the sparsely dealer´s net wordlwide this could be decisive argument against a Bullet. You shouldn´t worry, though, about the general trustworthiness.
That said I´m going to help my neighbour today with her brand new Suzuki that burned it´s electronic controll unit probably the fourth time in four month, 500€ apiece  :-X  I guess she´ll be ready for a Bullet soon  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 12:12:31 pm
The "hand-made" look & feel of the RE Bullet is definitely part of the appeal of these bikes. I mean it. But I don't really care whether a machine is built by humans or other machines, only that it's done right. That means a coat of decent primer onto rust-free metal before the paint goes on, decent wiring properly routed and secured to the frame, nuts & bolts torqued to spec, etc etc etc...... Basic spec is fine, but proper job - no more no less!

"Hand Crafted in Chennai" is a nice bit of marketing hype, and suggests a scene altogether different from a row of time-pressured under-payed production line workers doing long hours in a factory for wages. Hard to take pride in the job, or give much of a shit at all, in such circumstances. Understood. Again, one recalls the British car industry, knocking out scabby unreliable min spec rust-bucket Allegros and Marinas while the Japs were offering high spec cars for the same price or less - radio, power steering, undersealed etc etc fitted as standard for petes sake!!  :o

@Palace15 - I shouldn't worry unduly about the robustness of the Bullet. They're as tough as old boots and have stood the test of time. But "could do better" with regard to putting them together is right, so you might well have to give the bike a good look over now and again for loose nuts, chafing wires etc. I don't think there's anything to worry about with the new engine. Even the odd BMW goes bang - every marque has an occasional rogue come off the line.....

But yeah - by doing it right, the Japs took the whole bike & car industry!  Aint rocket science, is it.... :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:14:41 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 06:00:40 pm
I am looking for something thats good on fuel, reliable, and can give me the satisfaction of many thousands of touring miles, obviously I will keep on top of maintainence but I dont expect wiring to be chaffing through straight from the factory! I have an aircooled BMW that is mega reliable, unlike the newer ones but at todays fuel prices 34mpg(UK) is not acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:03:00 pm by palace15 »
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 06:01:13 pm
I am looking for something thats good on fuel, reliable, and can give me the satisfaction of many thousands of touring miles, obviously I will keep on top of maintainence but I dont expect wiring to be chaffing through straight from the factory! I have an aircooled BMW that is mega reliable, unlike the newer ones but at todays fuel prices 34mpg(UK) is not acceptable.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Can a mod delete this please!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:04:40 pm by palace15 »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 07:16:48 pm
no mods here mate - only rockers..... ;)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:00 pm
At the dealer this morning (they still haven't got to my C5) I sat on the G5 Classic that's been in the shop area for a couple of weeks.  The new service boss came over and asked me to be mindful of the handlebars hitting the tank.  Huh?

Sure enough, both left and right side make solid contact upon turning full tilt.  I think the dealer is waiting for CMW to give some type of instruction as to how to fix it so they can get it on display, which these days is in the garage next to the showroom, not actually in the showroom. 

Talk about being an ugly step-sister there.  I wonder if they regret getting into the Enfield sales business.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48:26 pm
Theres definitly something wrong there. My G5 bars are no where near the tank.
Perhaps the bars are wrong type, OR, have been set wrong on the headstock!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:29 pm
They have the bars adjusted wrong or the wrong ones installed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:55:04 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2011, 10:09:50 pm
  :D   Impeccable timing as usuall Sir Will  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:33 pm
Thank you sir - it flows when it flows.... no one here doing a thing........ ;)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 01:57:29 am
At the dealer this morning (they still haven't got to my C5) I sat on the G5 Classic that's been in the shop area for a couple of weeks.  The new service boss came over and asked me to be mindful of the handlebars hitting the tank.  Huh?

Sure enough, both left and right side make solid contact upon turning full tilt.  I think the dealer is waiting for CMW to give some type of instruction as to how to fix it so they can get it on display, which these days is in the garage next to the showroom, not actually in the showroom. 

Talk about being an ugly step-sister there.  I wonder if they regret getting into the Enfield sales business.

No G5 I've seen (including my brother's one that I know well) does that.  They must either not have the bars on correctly, or they are not the stock bars.  Unless they are some kind of cafe bike bars, I gotta wonder if whoever put that bike together knew what they were doing.   ???

Eamon
Eamon

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 05:08:34 am

LMAO!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 12:27:10 pm
This handlebar-problem shows a common RE-problem: many dealerships today forgot how to handle a bike like this. Especially when they´re selling other brands aswell, a Bullet is treated just like a Korean scooter: drive until something breaks, then replace the module and drive on until something...you got the picture. This kind of job can, in most cases, be done by trained apes.
When maintaining a Bullet it´s necessary to spend a number of minutes overlooking the bike and thinking about possibilities: which nuts will get loose? Wich cables will be vibrated towards sharp corners? Which bolts could be in danger to be overtightened? And so on...Thirty years ago this was the only way to keep any bike on the road.
I have to add, however, that any modern bike today would probably run better if it would be overlooked in the old fashioned way. But it´s not essential to modern quality, because modern dealers as well as constructers apply the following calculation: when trustable components are built in, you can economise a great deal of work when doing maintanence, as it´s cheaper to exchange a defected module if necessary.
 In case, though, you´re on of the few unluky ones with a lemon bike, this changing-the-module-strategy that is mindlessly applyed on any kind of problem can drive you really nuts - see above "Suzuki". In this case a typical trained-ape-mechanic rather spend 2000€ in spare parts than to have a closer look at the bike. Time is money - in this case, however, only his time counts  >:(
In India the strategy of how keeping a bike on the road as cheap as possible must be a different one. As labour, even when it´s very qualified, is in comparison dirt-cheap, the contructers trusted in mechanics who can afford, and are supposed to, make use of their working time in order of finding current or imminent weaknesses.
Here we have the clash of cultures! In our funky western civilization we have to get that RE is a third world-bike. And I like it that way  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:07:20 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 03:39:29 pm
i like the bike alot even the newer machines look like a blast to run....hey everyone here would agree the bike is not for everyone...do not buy this bike if you don't at least like to oil a chain, change out a spark plug every few years and do the necessary adjustments and fluid changes...If you are lucky enough to have a certified enfield dealer who been maintaining Brit and foreign style bikes then you have a leg up..Keep in mind, is your dealer in for the long haul or is this just a "in vogue" and wait and see attitude..This industry can turn on a dime and what's sells is the name of the game..Not everyone selling these bikes have the enthusiasm that we have seen on this board or the love of the history and brand...This should not be a half hearted attempt to buy something to look cool on...but u do look cool on it...you know what I'm saying..... :o
Oh Magoo you done it again