Poll

How would you like to see the AVL forum?

A separate AVL Classic topic
12 (57.1%)
As an extension of the Electra
6 (28.6%)
No change
0 (0%)
Something else
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 10, 2008, 03:23:06 pm

Author Topic: New forum categories  (Read 3816 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:56 am
Now that you have a UCE site on the forum, is there plans to accomadate the new models with the AVL?

Maybe just remove the Electra name and have an AVL section.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:14:00 pm
Thanks, Luoma.
The forum has taken on a life of its own. So, Instead of having us decide, let us know what you would like on your forum.

The AVL classic will have some differences in the chassis, but with the AVL engine will, in fact have much in common with the Electra.
"Vote Early Vote Often"

hrab

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:46:04 pm
Actually, what I was referring to was not a category only for AVL classic, but just for AVL. Since there is already a classic, delux and military in the iron head line, and RE will introduce the same model line in AVL, why not a forum area for each of the three predominant engine types? All that would have to be done is to remove the name "Electra" from the section titled "Bullet Electra Models", (models? there is only one model) and call the section "Bullet AVL Models."

LJRead

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:40:47 am

Luoma makes a lot of sense in this.  Just expand the category.  I will be having two Indian models, Thunderbird and Machismo, and these would fit his suggestion well.  Putting in the "AVL" is the key.

Adrian

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:04:02 am
Makes sense to me.  Title it AVL Lean Burn Engine Models (or similar) and give it a sub-title for the different model names?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 05:56:47 am
As I am looking into buying an AVL powered military sidecar rig, I have an interest in this - I think having an AVL section would be good, but there are differences between classics with AVL and Electras with them so Electra would need to have a section for it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:30:18 pm

The only problem I see is having too many forum categories.  There will soon be the Classic and Military AVLs and all the Classic and Military irons.  Even though I have an AVL, my favorite section is the Classic Bullet one, as it is the most active.  I suppose, with the new models, the Classic AVL and the Military will be nearly the same, except for paint, panniers etc., so they certainly can be lumped together.  Thunderbird is a model that is different, but the differences are only skin deep, Machismo is very much a Classic with an AVL engine.  So you get all these different models, but the thing that distinguishes them is the engine.  My feeling is we have enough categories now, maybe  just a name change to set aside all the AVL models. Looks like I'm outvoted, so whatever...

It gets to be sort of like a bureaucracy with layers and layers of positions.  Keep the forum simple should  be the guiding principle.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:57:13 pm
I agree to keeping it as simple as possible.  As it is now, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I browse through all of the forums just to be sure I don't miss anything.  Even though I own an Electra, I find interesting tidbits and opinions on the Classic forum.  There are many good threads in all of the forums.  Expanding them to cover each model variation will mean having more forums to browse through and possibly missing a nugget of information.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:38 am
I agree with LJ. Just change the name to indicate the different power plant. We'll have a classic site, AVL, and UCE. Then, of course, there is still the old, true Brit Enfields.

Adrian

Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:46 pm
Sorry if this is off-topic, but have our hosts sold any lean-burn engined classic-framed Bullets yet?  Are there any photos available?  I imagine they will look a lot like the Indian Market 500 Machismo, perhaps with a different rear fender.

A.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:54:37 am
We have sold quite a few Lean-Burn Classics. They look EXACTLY like any other Bullet, only the engine is different. There is not a shred of difference between them except for the engine.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Adrian

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:17:36 pm
Kevin,

I hope they sell really well, and that we see some pictures posted in Mebers' Rides soon. 

Now why wouldn't the UK importers market a 500 Lean Burn like this? I would have bought one....

Regards,

Adrian

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 04:46:22 pm
In Europe they are now using Euro 3 emissions rules. The AVL does not meet those rules. The new UCE does. This is why the UK guys haven't offered this bike. They bought up a years worth of Electras to sell in 2008 and will then phase in the UCE later. We had this bike developed specifically for our market. We can use the AVL for at least a couple of more years so even when the UCE gets introduced here we hope to continue to offer the Classics with this engine choice.

I will change the forums depending upon the wishes of the member, please keep me posted
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com