Author Topic: why do you like biking?  (Read 5672 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
on: May 18, 2011, 08:27:34 am
Just wondered why people like riding and the biker culture in general especially on the Enfields,what gives you the buzz of riding your machine and being involved in the  biking culture,for me I love riding new roads seeing new places and enjoying the sense of freedom only a bike can give you especially on a Enfield when it's on song as they say,I love going to the odd rally or just a long weekend home or abroad with my pals discovering the countryside and places of interest then returning to the campsite lighting the barbie and burning a few drumsticks with charcoaled sausages(and I'm the best cook lol) then talking a load of bollockybill with the guy's/gal's getting a few can's down but not getting too drunk 'cus gotta do it all again in the morn, macik.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:06 am
I just like old mechanical stuff. Interacting with a basic British bike kind of keeps me centred.

I have nothing in common with the legion of bored, plastic crotch rocket pilots who antagonise other drivers, thereby making road life harder for me.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:52 pm
Same reason I like breathing, it's essential.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:05 pm
can't argue with that  ;)
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

MDLNB

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:55:54 pm
Because biking is like running without running out of breath.  It is being able to feel and see the environment without feeling like you are in a house trailer looking out the windows, when you are moving down the road. It is having a panoramic view and surround sound, in 3D.  You don't get  that in a car. In a car you are looking out the window, like watching TV. You aren't really there. Ever wonder why a dog rides with his head out the window? It's because he wishes he could drive a motorbike and is seeking that same experience.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:14:01 pm
 ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:46:43 pm
Remember when you learned to ride a two wheeler?  Before you rode all over the neighborhood and got that sense of freedom, before you learned the satisfaction of fixing your own machine, before you realized this would lead to many more machines in your life and oh so many experiences, before all that it was just fun.  The thrill of pedalling and going and turning.  A quantum leap in pleasure.  I get the same feeling every morning when I ride to work, every time I run an errand, every time I get some me time and just go for a ride to nowhere.

Don't listen to those mid-life crisis knuckleheaads when they talk about freedom of the open road.  It's just fun, plain and simple.  If you doubt me catch the look on a kid's face the first time that dad lets go of the back of the seat.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:33 pm
  If you doubt me catch the look on a kid's face the first time that dad lets go of the back of the seat.

Scott

If its anything like the look on my 7 year old daughter's face count me out... she was in full horror mode! lol...

For me, riding a motorbike is about the sense of freedom from the world and its problems for a little while. Wrapped up in a helmet I can sing my heart out as badly and loudly as I can as I pass the farm fields, smelling the sweetness of ripe vegetables and grains in the air. The view from the saddle is far better than that of any 4 wheeler. If s
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:12:56 pm
If its anything like the look on my 7 year old daughter's face count me out... she was in full horror mode! lol...

Sorry, should have said after they stop wobbling ;)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:26 pm
I like the physical interaction - shifting, leaning, g forces, apexing corners...

In a sadistic way, I also like the danger of it. Keeping your wits about you is seriously sense-demanding and I like the solidarity that comes with that mindset... "I could die," so pay attention. :) I see riding as challenging.

Nature and visiting new places is cool too, but its not why I ride per se - I can do that in car.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:01 pm
When I'm riding my bike, I'm not doing anything else  -  I'm just riding. I'm rarely if ever so fully present and alert, mind quiet and focussed - and there's that whole man & machine thing, practising perfection. Joy and exhilaration. Zen and the art of.

Absolutely the most damned fun you can have with your trousers on... :D ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 08:43:22 pm
+1 to both above.  The same reasons I like surfing and rock climbing:complete focus.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:22 pm
Yunno, I think there is something primal there. Any psychologists in the room?! :)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:03:36 pm
you wont find psychologists where there's bikers my friend.  Just no call for em..... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:59 pm
Sub, WillW and Scotty - spot on all of you. I can only add that as well as all of that it gives me a better temperament and a bit more humility. As in let it go, whatever that car driver did just let it go cos it's too dangerous to respond and you'll always come off worst. Over time I've learnt to apply this attitude elsewhere so biking has actually made me a better person!  :D