Author Topic: 2011 G5 Deluxe finds a home  (Read 7343 times)

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:17:17 pm
40 MPH in fifth gear is to slow. This is a modern cylinder  and piston, it needs to be broken in but not like the older bikes.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:10:36 pm

The bikes up to 150 miles (242 km) on the odometer.  The miles are being added faster than I thought they would be.

I find that after 9 years of not riding,  the old training and lessons from all of those 45 years of riding was just sitting in the back of my mind....waiting for a chance to be used again.
GREAT FUN!  ;D

This reminds me strongly of my first days on the G5. As for the break in I had a very simple method for the first couple of hundred miles - first up to ten, second to twenty, third to thirty, fourth to forty and fifth to fifty. After 250 or so miles I was going up to 55, after 500 up to 60 and so on. By 1,000 I just did what I felt like. Since I have consistently got 85-90mpg I don't think I could be accused of ruining the engine. Quite honestly, the handbook guidelines are nonsense.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:23:19 pm
This reminds me strongly of my first days on the G5. As for the break in ... Quite honestly, the handbook guidelines are nonsense.
+1

I figure that at least half of the warnings about break-in are to help YOU get broken in.  That is, for you to get used to the machine. 

The UCE break-in procedure as set out in the manual is more suited to the iron barrel motors.  What should be more stressed with the UCE bikes is the need to be very thoroughly familiar with the wiring harnesses and fuses.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:54 am
the irons i can see and u guys know what best for you..its your bike and you're going to do what u feel is best.....of course a little caution is wise..
Oh Magoo you done it again