Author Topic: 2011 G5 Deluxe finds a home  (Read 7347 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:53 am
I picked up my new G5 today and couldn't be happier.

Here's a picture of it sitting in my back yard after its little trip home with me.

I've ordered the luggage rack and the low cost saddle bags along with the oil filter kit but they seem to be out of the filter kits right now.  Hopefully they will get some in soon.
I mentioned this to the dealer and he said he would sell me one when I hit 300 miles if my kit hasn't arrived yet.

Anyway, I thought you folks would like to know that another RE has found a home. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:48:34 am
congrats and i havemt seen alot of pics of the  g5...they are really nice too....all that chrome looks great and it comes with the bullet type  lights..have a great time breaking your baby in...
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:00:41 am
That's a great looking bike! Congrats on it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:19 am
VERY nice!  Enjoy the ride.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:22:09 am
Purty!

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:43:14 am
Good choice, mate. You've just bought the prettiest iron on the planet. I'd really be envious if I hadn't one myself  ;D
Ride safe & have fun
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

gus

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:01 am
have done 9000km on my G5 here in Oz,one thing to watch when adjusting chain is to have someone sit on bike.If you do it on the centre stand it will be way too tight  Gus

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:14 pm
Congrats Arizoni, She's a Beaut!!! Break her in right and Enjoy....Ride Safe 8)
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:34 pm
have done 9000km on my G5 here in Oz,one thing to watch when adjusting chain is to have someone sit on bike.If you do it on the centre stand it will be way too tight  Gus

I've been using the Pet Sniadla method with good results: set the bike on the stand with no weight on the rear wheel, set for 2 inches of slack at the middle of the bottom run.  This is what he spec'd for older iron barrel/AVl models but works well on my UCE and let's me do it without assistance.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:49:57 am
I'm finding that my brand new G5 is rather difficult to break in.

It starts on the first crank.  It idles nicely during its warm up.  It accelerates nicely with a whole lot of torque and without high revs.  In fact, its doing everything like it should but damn, it's hard to keep it below 40 MPH.  ;D

The sound of the engine keeps telling me "Hey!  I can do better than this!  I'm just loafing along at this speed."

I keep telling it that it is new and its maker says it is supposed to putt along for another 200 miles but I don't think it is convinced.

I also experienced what many of you have talked about.
After arriving at a small store about 15 miles from home I had no sooner sit it on its center stand than a guy walks up and says, "That's a nice bike!  I haven't seen one of those around for years."  Half way thru the conversation another guy walks up and says, "That's a nice looking old style British bike if I ever saw one.  I used to have a Norton........" .

Looks like I'm going to have to increase the amount of time it will take me to "run to the store" when I'm riding this bike. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:03:22 am
That's the Enfield delay factor, you will need to add 20 minutes to all your rides to compensate for it. :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:48:34 am
I know the owner's manual specifies 30mph during break-in, but it's the rpm, not the speed, you need to be sensible about. 50mph in fifth is fine during break-in - barely above idle for the engine. If you go lugging around at 30mph in fifth you'll be doing harm.....

You better get used to spending as much time talking about the bike as riding... ;)
Maturin is spot on - the G5 DL is about the prettiest bike out there. I see the longing in the old men's eyes every time I'm out & about on mine..... ;)

And since this is my THOUSANDTH post - here's a pic of my beauty to delight the eye  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:58:44 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:36:48 am
Hooligan  ;) ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:53 pm
It's the bike m'lud. It's a bad influence.... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:01 pm
I'm making sure I don't lug the engine.  I figure some very moderate RPM won't hurt it if I keep it to short spurts so although I'm putting along at 40 if the traffic slows me down to 35 in 5th gear I'll drop it to 4th.  Then if I want to accelerate a bit I'll drop it to 3th and give it a light throttle up to 40 or 45 before shifting back into 4th and 5th.
At this stage of the game I never try to accelerate in 5th gear.  I just use it to maintain my speed and let the air do its thing in keeping things cool.

In other words, I'm not lugging the engine or over-revving it.  Just a nice relaxing, enjoyable pace.
The bikes up to 150 miles (242 km) on the odometer.  The miles are being added faster than I thought they would be.

I find that after 9 years of not riding,  the old training and lessons from all of those 45 years of riding was just sitting in the back of my mind....waiting for a chance to be used again.
GREAT FUN!  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe