Author Topic: By-pass stop switch on side stand.  (Read 13356 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:19:27 pm
Glad its not just me - never had a bike with one and pretty hard to drive with it down - now if it folded up the other way it might make a mess  ???

Dr B

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:30:59 pm
 Disconnect the lawyers and the world would be a much better place.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 02:16:30 am
Harley's patented Jiffy Stand will retract itself if you ride off with it down but is locked in place weight on the stand. Japanese bikes used to come with a rubber strip pointed at the ground that would drag and retract the stand.

After disconnecting the switch I rode off with mine down. I had parked on the side stand but put it on the center stand for fueling. I reconnected the switch after that. Probably would never do that again but I might.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:11 am
I've left with my aftermarket side stand down..no big deal as the scraping sound tells it all...probably did it three times over a 4 year period...it's that moment when u say, what the hell was i thinking...if anything its more embarrassing if someone was watching....
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 03:36:04 pm
Some of the Ducati super bikes have a side stand that retracts as soon as you tilt the bike up.  Great for riding safety, not so great for the parking lot browser casually sitting on bikes when he goes to put it back.  There's a nice aftermarket eliminator for this.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:45 pm
I had a Ducati 900SS that got that alternare spring mounting attachment as soon as I got the bike, caused by a much earlier experience with a Bultaco Matador with the handy spring loaded side stand. I went into a gas station and as I got a bit close to the pump, I shoved the side stand down, but had to get off on the right. As I did that, I pulled the bike up a bit, then let go of it so it would drop back onto the side stand. It dropped into the pump! Fortunately, no damage, other than to my ego. Don't like those spring loaded things. Also had a Yamaha Fazer that the side stand switch would cut out, especially coming off a stop light when you were about half way across the street. I found the just a little kick on the side stand would reset it. I finally cleaned it with some contact cleaner and never had any more problems with it.  And I have forgotten to put the stand up on a few occasions in the last 50 years. A loud scraping noise joins with a bit of an embarrassing wobble. My issue with the Bullet side stand is that it's too short and lets the bike lean over too far. I tried to find one of the adjustable ones, but they are apparently amongst the unobanium bits, so I guess it will be off to the hacksaw and welding torch. Or I'll just live with it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 08:45:12 pm
It does lean a fair bit but it's not unstable.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 09:11:51 pm
I dropped my bike 2" and it leans just about right !! ;D
Dr B

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:56 pm
A swift wack on the side of the head with a tire iron? 
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 01:03:40 am
I removed the two Allen head screws at the side stand to pull off the switch last month......took all of one minute.....one less thing to troubleshoot in the future!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:40:57 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 04:53:00 pm
I removed my side stand switch about 8000 miles ago.

Just out of curiosity I sat on a Harley in a dealers a while back, not realising that the side stand would automatically retract itself. Having amused myself for a couple of minutes I started to get off the bike only to have the wee  beastie fall over and nearly break my leg.

I managed to recover the situation without anyone noticing. ;D

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:45 pm
Whats next? A motorcycle that parks itself?
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:52 pm
I did the same thing at the BMW dealer. Dropped it on the floor! The dealer simply smiled and pointed out how effective the engine guards are.

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 09:03:19 pm
Officially disengaged today.  The side stand switch not me.  8)
I am Multi-FUNctional!

T Bird

• Neophyte
  • Tracy P
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 10:42:57 am
Has anyone bypassed the cut-off on the side stand. Pretty hard to stop and kick down the stand and not shut off the motor but SOMETIMES it may be nice to be able to start the bike with it down - kick for example ::"" :-\

I couldn't agree more! Had the bike just two days and the only thing that really bugs me is this stupid switch! I really want to be able to kick start it and I always did my old Bonnie on the side stand!
I am more worried that I'll start it up and while letting it warm up, go to put it back on the side stand that won't be there!! I will be disconnecting it very shortly!

In 31 years of riding I think I've ridden off once with it down and got shouted at that it was. Didn't catch in the ground so got away with it. If it was like the new Triumph's and cut out if you put it in gear with it down, then that would be fine but no start in neutral?!? Just daft!  ::)
I've defected! Don't tell the Triumph Owner's MCC!