Author Topic: By-pass stop switch on side stand.  (Read 13351 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:08 pm
Has anyone bypassed the cut-off on the side stand. Pretty hard to stop and kick down the stand and not shut off the motor but SOMETIMES it may be nice to be able to start the bike with it down - kick for example ::"" :-\
Dr B

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:03:57 pm
Just disconnect it and you good to go.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:19:25 am
i think all your switches and sensors should have a  embedded MAC address that way if the CPU doesn't get a answer in the startup config file you u don't get a start....that will take care of you bypassing anything..serves you guys right for not staying old school with the rest of us... ;D :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:32:42 am
..serves you guys right for not staying old school with the rest of us... ;D :o

RE in India sells 4 or 5 models of these 'new' bikes (UCE bikes) with carb. Still old school for the most part.  Only one model C500 is with ECU in India.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:39:05 am
Its easy to disconnect your side stand switch. It's also easy to end up as a hood ornament because you left your sidestand down.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:20:35 am
Just disconnect it and you good to go.

+1.  I did this a while ago to eliminate it as a potential problem while debugging something.  I like being able to warm it up on the side stand to much I never put it back.  Keep in mind, you are disabling a safety feature.

Scott

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:58 am
How exactly, do you disconnect it ?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:39 am
Follow the wires up the the coupler and unplug it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:32 am
How exactly, do you disconnect it ?

There is a connector just above the side stand near the frame that connects side stand switch.  Unplug it.  Then wrap the connectors in tape or shrink tube to protect from dust.  Tie it to the frame with a twist tie.  Here is a picture -

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:28:00 am
It's also easy to end up as a hood ornament because you left your sidestand down.

I never understood how people can drive away with it down.  Hop on, straighten up, and sidestand up. 

I didn't mind my old Yamaha's switch which would shut off the engine when it was put in gear with the sidestand down, but to not let it start at all?  That's pointless.  Still, I left it connected for a while.

Then one day I couldn't get it started.  I gave the sidestand the slightest of upward pushes, and it fired right up.  I disconnected the damn thing the next day.  If it's going to "save me" when the stand isn't even down, I don't want it at all, especially if it's going to activate intermittently on some bumpy road somewhere. 

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:42:52 am
I grew up with out safety switches. 
 Forgetting to put the stand up when taking off or down when parking resulted in a lesson learned,,,,once. ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:52:50 am
I've never owned a motorcycle that had a safety sidestand switch, or a clutch safety .

I have never forgot to put the side stand up ...yet either.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 06:01:17 am
I didn't mind my old Yamaha's switch which would shut off the engine when it was put in gear with the sidestand down

My Ducati was the same and I thought it a good idea.  This way you can warm it up on the sidestand but still won't ride away with it down.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:31:24 pm
I grew up with out safety switches. 
 Forgetting to put the stand up when taking off or down when parking resulted in a lesson learned,,,,once. ;)

Yep. me too.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:32 pm
     Sometimes I feel like everybody out there now is suffocating by being buried in "safety switches" in all aspects of life. Kids are afraid of EVerything nowadays 'cause the government & the schools & their parents tell them to be. I survived my whole life with my safety switches almost all internal to my brain & the first thing that came off the Enfield was that that silly kickstand switch. Next was the headlight jumper. I'm not disturbed by the clutch switch (yet). I don't use the electric start.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.