Author Topic: By-pass stop switch on side stand.  (Read 13358 times)

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 05:45:53 pm
I'm disconnecting that switch (having read here somewhere of a rider's bike cutting out because of it WHILE he was riding) - but fact is I never use the sidestand. Always the center stand. Looks so much nicer - though I think I don't quite have the weight/balance technique down to park it smoothly.
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 08:34:59 pm
My bike would actually start and idle with the side stand down and leaning on it, but when you take the weight off, it would quit! I usually just parked it on the center stand and it ran fine from there.
I have seen guys crash when taking off with the side stand down. I've had some dicey moments in the old days before the switches were used.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 05:18:44 am
I've been way too lazy to get in there and find the wires, but if I ever get around to it I'll post up the wiring diagram...

I plan on using a relay to simulate the opening/closing of the switch in the 'sidestand up' position by triggering it with the neutral indicator feed wire. That way you could put the stand down IF the bike was in neutral, but if you put it in gear (thus turning the neutral light off) it would trip the relay and kill the engine. Just like most other modern bikes. Eventually I'll get around to it....I hope.  I've gotten pretty lazy in my middle-age
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 05:58:19 am
I rode every day for years on my last bike, and never had a problem with taking off with the stand down. it's just something you train your muscles to do without thinking.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 06:11:10 am
+1

That's what I'm saying.  One scary left turn will make you TRIPLE check your side stand before every trip.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 07:16:57 am
+1

That's what I'm saying.  One scary left turn will make you TRIPLE check your side stand before every trip.

Scottie

Mine always gets a double check heel tap before my left foot goes up to the shifter.  Your bike will not do a straight little hop if it hits!  Ugly, ugly, ugly.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:04 pm
For my 2010 G5 Deluxe (with the 19" Wheels) the stock stand was to short making it lean too far over. I also don't like Side Stand Switches, so both had to go. I found an old Kawasaki Stand on Ebay, & made it fit perfectly.
All just right now!  Photos below.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 06:58:03 pm
I dropped my bike 2" and it leans just about right !! ;D

Shouldn't it lean just about left?  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 01:30:23 am
I've used the ground to kick up my side stand on various bikes over the years, never was really and issue.  My Honda with a safety switch pretty much trained that out of me.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 06:40:33 am
My side stand switch acted up a couple of times - needing an extra nudge for the switch to break continuity and the engine fire up. Out of interest I dismantled the switch and found that the spring-loaded metal plunger that is actuated by the side stand passes through the switch body was bone-dry, with no lube.  a small smear of lithium grease did the trick, and the switch works smoothly now.

The switch plunger has a neoprene dust cover round it, to keep grease in and crap out.  Perhaps just add the switch to the list of things on the enfield that need checked, cleaned and lube'd on a regular basis? It isn't a big deal.

Cheers,

Blair