Author Topic: Motorcycle safety courses  (Read 3053 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:22 pm
Took 'Experienced Rider Course' and there were riders with 25 years experience who still come and take the course as a refresher every year or every 2 years. It is approved as a 'Defensive Driving Course' too. I highly recommend these courses because they help the rider to stay sharp, polish their techniques and point out the limits of their riding skills that can diminish with either age, or lack of practice or if the rider is on some medication. A rider is only as good as he is today (not what he was yesterday). Learning never ends.   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:15 am
I took one last year but I had to fly to another island (Oahu) to do it.  :-\
It was a great experience and I still can't believe I drove 26 miles in a very small parking lot! :D
There's no MSF course at all offered on any of the neighbor Hawaiian Islands (Kauai, Maui, Molokai, and Hawaii), which is really scary when you think that's over 250,000 people, about 25% of our state, that can't take the course without having to spend an additional $300-500 (~ $500-$800 total) to fly over, stay 2 days etc. Which almost no one does. According to my MSF instructor, I was the first person from Kauai he's seen in over 4 years.  :-[

Sounds like you should get certified as an instructor and make some money on the weekends.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:13:57 am
you need to get "Buick Radar" ....  ;) Hahaha!  ::)

It's funny you should say that because nearly all of my dangerous car encounters have been with Buicks.

I took the MSF course in order to get my license, before getting my first bike, and it was absolutely worth it. It has definitely saved my ass a few times and made me a better rider. Some of the specific skills, like what to do when a dog tries to intercept you, have helped me as a bicyclist as well. I'd like to take an advanced course in the next year or two to hone the skills I already have.