Author Topic: Motorcycle safety courses  (Read 3041 times)

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
on: May 14, 2011, 10:05:18 pm
Just curious as to how many of our RE buddies have taken a cycle safety course....

I was signed up for one 2 years ago but missed it being out of town for work so I decided to do it again this year. Besides the rain, gusty wind and temps in the low 50's its been fun. The instructors are great and my classmates are there because they want to be so there's no screwing around. I've learned some good stuff already!

I'd re comend one of these for anybody.
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:34:56 pm
I took the course 2 years ago. Thought it was worth it.

I was on a 15 year hiatus from an Enduro back ground. I have no problems operating a motorcycle ( the course offers some good pointers on that).

The course helped me the most in addressing automobiles and motorcycles sharing the road together. Cars are dangerours , and that cannot be understated to a rider. 
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

MDLNB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:40 pm
After having a motorcycle license for over 35 years, I wanted to brush up on safety so while I was home on leave from my posting in India, I managed to get a walk in at the community college after there was a cancellation. I only had a couple of weeks and was real lucky to be there when there was a no show. Most would say that driving in India was enough of a safety course. It was a good course and I talked my daughter into taking it later.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:52 pm
Yeah, I took an MSF course and thought it was really good.  I'd like to take a refresher course someday and also a sidecar class.  I think just about anybody can stand to review stuff now and then.

Eamon
Eamon

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:52:21 pm
I taught for the MSF for a summer - it was interesting and quite rewarding. REpozer - you are SO right about cars and motorcycles together ..... it IS a dangerous game for US .... operating the bike is only half the battle - you need to get "Buick Radar" ....  ;) Hahaha!  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:08:27 am
I took the MSF course, it was very good.  I should take a refresher as I may have forgotten a few things.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:25:00 am
Took the course.. Worth every penny spent..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:47:53 am
I'd take one if they existed here in the wilds.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 02:27:50 am
I taught the MSF course for a few years. While I don't agree with all the details its still an excellent starting point and helps develop good habits. I've never heard a student say it wasn't worth it.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 02:36:16 am
I took an advanced couse in UK while I was in college back in (gulp) 1981.  Road positioning, shoulder checks, etc have been my way of riding ever since and are now just habit.  Well worth the time and the money.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:57:11 pm
MSF Experianced Rider Course was fun and I learned a bunch. I would take it again given the chance. In Cali., we have Streetmasters Motorcycle Workshops. Classroom time and LOTS of riding. Awesome.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:28:16 pm
The German ADAC, the major driver´s lobbyist in my country, offers several different MSCs according to your experience and interest.
Although these course certainly have the biggest impact on a beginner, it´s possible to learn a lot even when your ass is flat from riding.
I experienced that I conserved some mistakes over the years. I´m riding mainly alone, so I don´t have any feedback. In these courses I was able to catch up again.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:19 pm
I took one last year but I had to fly to another island (Oahu) to do it.  :-\
It was a great experience and I still can't believe I drove 26 miles in a very small parking lot! :D
There's no MSF course at all offered on any of the neighbor Hawaiian Islands (Kauai, Maui, Molokai, and Hawaii), which is really scary when you think that's over 250,000 people, about 25% of our state, that can't take the course without having to spend an additional $300-500 (~ $500-$800 total) to fly over, stay 2 days etc. Which almost no one does. According to my MSF instructor, I was the first person from Kauai he's seen in over 4 years.  :-[
'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:47:18 pm
I took the MSF course in 2004 and highly recommend it to anyone at any time of their riding career. They do offer an Advanced rider's course where you use your own bike. There is a small discount on your insurance too.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:20:12 pm
They do offer an Advanced rider's course where you use your own bike.
I did the course on a very rare, British Racing Green, AVL Bullet Classic. ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:22 pm
Took 'Experienced Rider Course' and there were riders with 25 years experience who still come and take the course as a refresher every year or every 2 years. It is approved as a 'Defensive Driving Course' too. I highly recommend these courses because they help the rider to stay sharp, polish their techniques and point out the limits of their riding skills that can diminish with either age, or lack of practice or if the rider is on some medication. A rider is only as good as he is today (not what he was yesterday). Learning never ends.   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:15 am
I took one last year but I had to fly to another island (Oahu) to do it.  :-\
It was a great experience and I still can't believe I drove 26 miles in a very small parking lot! :D
There's no MSF course at all offered on any of the neighbor Hawaiian Islands (Kauai, Maui, Molokai, and Hawaii), which is really scary when you think that's over 250,000 people, about 25% of our state, that can't take the course without having to spend an additional $300-500 (~ $500-$800 total) to fly over, stay 2 days etc. Which almost no one does. According to my MSF instructor, I was the first person from Kauai he's seen in over 4 years.  :-[

Sounds like you should get certified as an instructor and make some money on the weekends.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:13:57 am
you need to get "Buick Radar" ....  ;) Hahaha!  ::)

It's funny you should say that because nearly all of my dangerous car encounters have been with Buicks.

I took the MSF course in order to get my license, before getting my first bike, and it was absolutely worth it. It has definitely saved my ass a few times and made me a better rider. Some of the specific skills, like what to do when a dog tries to intercept you, have helped me as a bicyclist as well. I'd like to take an advanced course in the next year or two to hone the skills I already have.