Author Topic: Your dealer.  (Read 2960 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 14, 2011, 05:46:29 pm
Before you buy a motorcycle and expect to be able to get service for warranty work check one thing about your dealer.  Ask if selling and servicing motorcycles os a part time job for him/her.  And if the say yes I only work on bikes on rainy days, go to a different dealer.  Otherwise your bike may get stuck at the dealer waiting and waiting for a rainy day for the dealer to work on it.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:42:51 pm
Step 2)  Forget about your dealer and plan on doing your own maintenance. These motorcycles are designed with the premise of owner participation with mostly commen hand tools.

It takes about 1000-2000 miles for rider and motorcycle to finally "get-it".

Some people have trouble shifting from the "Honda Rebel" mentality. Thus they would be better served not riding a Royal Enield and going after the Honda Rebel or what ever Yamsuki floats it.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:36 pm
My dealer is 400 miles away and I dont ever expect to set foot in their shop - in fact - I never did - my C-5 was shipped here ; ;D
Dr B

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:25 pm
I don't think I have a Honda service mentality but to me having a dealer fairly close to my house is nice.

I do all of my maintenance on my Miata.  In fact, I refuse to allow anyone else work on it.

I've rebuilt everything from a old Ducati  thru a Ford flathead and a Mercedes Benz 220 but when it comes to some of the computers and sensing units used in the modern machines I call in the experts (dealers).  It's also good to have someone available to talk over problems that seem to be on the horizon and to get his/her input as to what the best way to deal with the situation might be.

This forum is a great source of information but I think its nice to have someone familiar with Royal Enfields that can look at exactly what my concern might be and either tell me what the best solution is to fix it or to say, "Don't worry about it" as the case may be.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:16:01 pm
Please don't get me wrong , I would love to be able to walk to an RE dealer. Some are very good others seem to prove lack luster.

My dealer is over 700 miles away. I have talked to him on the phone for help, he was very helpful to me.

At some point, a  RE rider would be better served if he was willing to "stretch" him/herself alittle and start doing more for themselves.

Something to consider, on any car or motorcycle: learning to use an affordable computer scan tool or put the computer into self diagnostic mode is well worth learning and in the scope of a DIY mechanic.

There is no sense on getting wrapped around the axle with a computer, they don't replace mechanical basics and fundamentals.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:24:29 pm by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:34 pm
What he said - and I have found that if you dont want to work on your own any bike dealer with a half wise mechanic can do almost anything on your bike and with the phone and internet - take care of a lot of problems. I have found even with  a warranty - if they will cover defective parts - it is cheaper to pay labour than travel time and being without the bike 8)
Dr B

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:32 pm
...it is cheaper to pay labour than travel time and being without the bike 8)

That's my credo.  I've had a few things that properly fall under warranty - and I have an extended warranty - but I'd rather pay twenty bucks for a mail order part than lose a whole day taking the bike 100 km to the dealer and leaving it there for who knows how long. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:50 am
I wish there was a reliable dealer within 500 miles.  A problem is some of the parts are available through the dealer only.    I called the nearest dealer and told him I needed a right side engine cover gasket and gave him the part number, he said "Oh you mean for the clutch side" .   I don't mind to wait a little while if I was reasonably sure to get the right part the first time.   Still waiting with fingers crossed.

Could someone suggest a reliable dealer for ordering parts?   :)    
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:25 am
http://www.interstatemotorcycles.com/  Give Slam a call he'll take care of you, I've never dealt with a better motorcycle dealership, and he's within 500 miles of OKC :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:21:13 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:42 am
no dealer nearby, warranty up 4 yrs ago, pretty much taking care of green machine on my own....got to replace both tires by  end of the season and check out the clutch..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:09:09 am
I can vouch for Slam (Bill Dunkis) myself. There are others that would be only too happy to sell you parts.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:33:27 am
TWinOKC... when contacting Ron's about the parts for our bikes, probably best to speak with the son, Ronnie. Think he knows the most and the other older fellows dont do their best work on the phones. While I have bought parts for years from Ron's, I happen to have the luxury of being able to walk in and dig around in the back to look for it, and I never had to buy anything for an RE till now. I have had similar experience on the phone there and only got a decent response when I've spoken to Ron himself or his son Ronnie.

Hope you bike gets up an runnin soon

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:23:47 am
Thanks for the replies.  A few days ago I stopped by Ron's and talked to him personally, he seems like a very nice guy.  I know other things, beyond his control, can happen.   Maybe I just need to wait a few more days and give him a chance.  

Thanks,

Terry

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:27:07 am by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati