Author Topic: MSD Ignition anyone?  (Read 2510 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 14, 2011, 05:45:35 pm
I built up a 1978 Ford Bronco back in the early 90's as a show and go 4x4. The engine was sparked by a MSD 6AL ignition control box. The high intensity multiple spark discharge per fire of the plug really burned the excessive amount of fuel the 400cu engine would use turning 39 inch tall tires. The power increase was noticeable for sure over the standard points ignition. One really neat thing the MSD boxes have is user settable rev limits... I'd plug in the 700rpm chip when I'd park it for shows, if someone wanted to start the thing and steal the vehicle, it would only idle and even then it wasn't enough get the auto transmission to hook up enough to drive, low budget security system haha.

With my random poking around on the internet I was surprised to see that MSD has a single cylinder motorcycle box available. The price is a bit steep, but from my experience with the 6AL in the Bronco I'm wondering if it would be worth the money. Summit Racing has it on for $540 or so.

http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/4223.pdf?terms=mc3

Here's a question... is the UCE a capacitive discharge system for ignition, if so then it doesn't appear it would work with them. 
Overkill for a RE perhaps?

Anyone..... anyone....Bueller?
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:13:33 am
 I don't know ? ........ Not sure I know what the means ::)  But that Box looks REAL interesting.....Ummmmm
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:46:15 pm
$540?  I'd get a Power Commander and exhaust system first.  I'd bet it's a much better performance bang for the buck unless your goal is just getting a cleaner burn.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:30 pm
I wasnt saying I want to get one myself... far too much money for me these days.
$540 will buy me like..... ummm $540 worth of gas to drive Miss Bling.
(my  shiny rock  ;)  )
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:23:20 am
Plus just $150 or so on a loud exhaust will make you think it performing way faster and better than it ever really is.  Perception is reality :D

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:35 am
I used an MSD on a 1986 Fiero V-6 that I put a turbo charger on and I "guess" it made a difference but I was trying to get 300 HP out of 3-8 litre motor.

I think an MSD ignition on a C-5 would be like putting a surround sound system on a palm pilot! ::)

Thats the beauty of these little bikes - look great - less killing - 29 hp - go for a Hayabusa with 190 and that sucker you can put a power commander on but it will kill you stock so -- unless you are drag racing where every HP costs you 100 bucks - save your money for gas and beer!
Dr B